The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Thanks everyone. I am over the moon!! It is so classy without being overly flashy.

Yes, This is a "Boyd Burst." I never heard of this color before. It is so magnificent in person! In a room filled with heart-stopping PRS showpieces, this one spoke to me. When I asked my rep at the shop to grab a semi-hollow 594 to demo, this is the one he unlocked and selected as the 'one I should try.' I didn't even know it had a Brazilian FB until after I pulled the trigger. As beautiful as it is, the sound and versatility, depth and dimension are what got my attention.

I compared this Semi-hollow 594 WL/Brazilian to an equivalent solid-body double cut 594. This Semi-hollow 594 has more air, sparkle, nuance. I play 'clean and pristine' a lot and usually prefer single coil guitars. This Semi-hollow 594 goes that direction if I want it to, but offers so much more. This is my first PRS and I think I may have spoiled myself forever. ??

fullsizeoutput_3714_zpsycxm7goo.jpeg
THAT IS GORGEOUS.

Maple neck, SH, Brazzie board, Boyd Burst. Is that a one-off? Never seen one quite like it. Congrats!

s that a one-off? Never seen one quite like it. Congrats

Thanks ViperDoc. My local shop is a PRS Dealer and spec'd this guitar from the PRS Wood Library with a Flamed Maple 10- top and they specially ordered it with a flame maple neck and Brazilian fingerboard.

I love the deep dark chocolate color of the Brazilian fingerboard and the way it pops visually against the Boyd Burst flame maple top. The Top flame is so classy without being overly flashy. The flame has super cool cross-grain and I LOVE the Flame maple neck. The maple neck, (flame maple) is a unique feature that makes this a custom variation. I believe PRS normally uses Mahogany for the necks on McCarty 594 models.

Here is a quick attempt at making a video recording. I have not been playing electric guitar for the past year, so I was overzealous and not exactly nailing what I wanted to accomplish.

Bodi
I'm not subtle. And nobody can explain what tact is. Just the same old "If you have enough tact, you can tell a man to "go to hell", and have him ask you for directions."

Well, IDK how to do that. And if I want to tell a man to go to hell, I'll just tell him to go to hell, and he can find his own damn way xD

Mozzi
I think we both misunderstood each other, bro. I apologise for my part in that. (Apologize or apologise?)

You know what's funny, everybody says maple sounds brighter and rosewood sounds darker.

I think this is the video

To my ears, the rosewood sounded brighter and a little more airy.

I only brought up the woods thing because I feel like people put too much stock in it.

Yes, it makes a difference. Yes, it's important but, several other factors are more important.

Let's say for the sake of argument, you had perfectly identical... IDK Flying V guitars. One's got an Ash body, one's got a basswood body. Everything else is identical.

Let's say you plug the Ash into an AC30, and you want the basswood to sound the same way.
Well, it's going to be a long damn ways off if you plug it into a Blackface. And it's never going to get closer than plugging it into the same AC30.

The point I'm trying to make it that woods aren't everything.

And

When you've got SoloDallas on YouTube perfectly recreating Angus Young's tones, it makes you reconsider that whole "tone is in the hands" story.

I definitely want to see a lot more research into that. I don't think it's an anomaly. I bet if you got all of the correct gear, you could duplicate other people's tones exactly. IDK that for a fact but, I would place a fairly decent wager on it. I think it's something that more people should look into. Simply because I find it hard to believe that only one person out there can perfectly recreate one man's tones from across his entire career...

Thanks ViperDoc. My local shop is a PRS Dealer and spec'd this guitar from the PRS Wood Library with a Flamed Maple 10- top and they specially ordered it with a flame maple neck and Brazilian fingerboard.

I love the deep dark chocolate color of the Brazilian fingerboard and the way it pops visually against the Boyd Burst flame maple top. The Top flame is so classy without being overly flashy. The flame has super cool cross-grain and I LOVE the Flame maple neck. The maple neck, (flame maple) is a unique feature that makes this a custom variation. I believe PRS normally uses Mahogany for the necks on McCarty 594 models.

Here is a quick attempt at making a video recording. I have not been playing electric guitar for the past year, so I was overzealous and not exactly nailing what I wanted to accomplish.

Very nice and articulate tone and playing
Thnks for sharing

Yeah I just came from playing one again, and I'll reiterate, I really really need one of these guitars. Amazing.

Absolutely. I don't even care about the updates for 2020 because my 2016 still puts a big grin on my face every time I pick it up.

Yep. I tried 3 and they all pretty much play exactly the same too. In fact, I would rather buy one sooner, than order one, because I need those locking tuners.

Absolutely. I don't even care about the updates for 2020 because my 2016 still puts a big grin on my face every time I pick it up.

I still love my 2016 DC 594 too...

iqwpNPc.jpg

I certainly have NO intention of trading it in against a 2020 spec version. I would however buy a 594 Hollowbody ii and preferably any built before they swap to 'vintage' tuners. I don't care that they are lighter or have any 'tonal' difference, and I know locking tuners do not impact tuning stability IF you wrap the string correctly, I want the convenience and more 'modern' aesthetic - even if the guitar is more vintage inspired.

Of course, others may have their own opinion but I wouldn't be going out of my way to seek out a 2020 spec 594 and can even make do with my HBii as that has the 58/15 LT's (albeit without the nitro, TCI process or coil splitting options) because my 2016 594 is such a great guitar. I admit that I am being seriously tempted to add a 594 HBii but with the current global situation, I am managing to resist right now - but that gets harder each day LOL...

As I don't 'need' multiples of a model in my collection as I don't need a 'back-up' or an alternative tuning I can swap to in a hurry if needed, I tend to look for guitars that add 'something' to my toolbox that my other instruments can't do. I think a 2020 594 maybe great, but I don't know that its going to be worth me trading in my 2016 594 for...

Again though, others may feel differently and if you don't have a 594 already, the newer specs, particularly the nitro finish, may well be a reason enough for them to look for a newer version...

Anyone know which replacement pickup rings are "correct" for the 594? I picked a set of the universal angle ones from @John Mann but they look considerably shorter than the stock rings (e.g. they're not as high). Was hoping to replace my stock creme ones with black ones.

Gorgeous guitar, and finish, and playing. Nice! Sweet Tele too (am I allowed to say that on here? ha)
Always liked boyd burst too.

Anyone know which replacement pickup rings are "correct" for the 594? I picked a set of the universal angle ones from @John Mann but they look considerably shorter than the stock rings (e.g. they're not as high). Was hoping to replace my stock creme ones with black ones.

The universal angle will work fine. That's what was used on the earlier ones. In the last couple years, they started using taller rings, but they do not seem to be available aftermarket.

Back