The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Mine arrived safely this morning. I didn't realize it when I purchased my 594 but I think it is the same one that was pictured on the PRS website and was used in the promo video. My camera is charging but I will shoot some pictures tonight. I'm pretty much blown away by this guitar. I am somewhat new to PRS and to the forum and want to temper my enthusiasm but there is nothing that I don't love about this guitar. I'm also blown away by the setup, playability, finish, etc. It really is a step above. The neck carve is also incredible. I couldn't be happier.

Excellent! I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it!

Reactions: GME
Have any of you lucky 26 with a 594 had any doubts about the neck carve and how it might feel prior to receiving it, or how it felt being asymmetrical after getting it?

I have tried Gibson LP asymmetrical neck carves and did not care for it. I am saving for a ps and will not be able to try the neck carve prior to ordering, if I go with a 594.

I am so used to traditional neck carves that it prevents me from thinking about pulling the trigger on one so far.

Any and all input would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Have any of you lucky 26 with a 594 had any doubts about the neck carve and how it might feel prior to receiving it, or how it felt being asymmetrical after getting it?

I have tried Gibson LP asymmetrical neck carves and did not care for it. I am saving for a ps and will not be able to try the neck carve prior to ordering, if I go with a 594.

I am so used to traditional neck carves that it prevents me from thinking about pulling the trigger on one so far.

MA Pete is very sensitive to neck carves and scale length, and says he bonded with it immediately, but of course that doesn't mean you will. With PS, you can order any neck carve you want, so no worries.

If I hadn't known in advance the neck was asymmetrical I'm not sure I would have noticed immediately. It is very subtle. I am used to playing Gibson R9 necks and the '594 pattern vintage neck is extremely comfortable for me. I much prefer the '594 neck over my TH '59.

Took a couple pics of mine today. Couldn't be happier with this one and feel very lucky to own it.

Wow! A beauty!!

Great flame!

This finish looks so different in different lights and in different pictures. Really a classy vintage finish.

Per Paul Miles it is unique for the model, like "Faded McCarty Burst", but a little richer in tone, they ended up calling it "Vintage McCarty Smoked Burst".

Very cool that the finish is unique to this run!!

Reactions: GME
As I have said before, the body on the 594 is thicker than the McCarty, and that is no doubt one of the magic ingredients that makes it sound so great.

Here is a pic side by side with Alan/yankeebulldog's DC 245 Ted Private Stock, which is McCarty thickness:

UictlAEkbyIrPyNOacwZM5M3iaYHpXwQejYRQg7wpMtWnTK7Qdx0VQyc48gW22-hGkgMD1GK6D91TVEeBC67vaBSQQ-1vxMGYKf-zywUAS13wMBYu5cYXWgo96lQ2zfI5evoWuQomCPBAiYkXxsho_BN8WcuJcOVFjCtD6VZsH4hKo5_ctESZbjrE2Df9lI8wXhG4oBOVE33ewVmeMI4W_Lp3SD52J-vX1Ee-0-aI85MAxTLJOEO8gnAaYKcpsJpT9LX9NQO0N9cR-WZ-gnyVCr1IRFu0RkuDmmUAGfT7M8zBtMAq7IfhRwJY7l3dmULRD-emkVShoeaXQvYwAikFNq5IPx3sBTS8Okx-5nZ3-pPSOAKj1R53h7dpSJqfAZJOPvcI7c3QZ5fTIiOsJCozMLlf-ezdgMIB9ZpAyIvfyYtQYVoInXw8IdPDrEPRxinBwL4tIBMGSAjaz9OdDCHYuGNxF7ursbxo09FkmH9rT-IJqLQwEr7PPq_PJfZLJSvaWbs9MBvRlU1sCLX5UqBrpxcdv0rGUNo9q7CWOokelYPZsEoYPTzxs_GgizlonZHkos9vQ=w960-h1280-no

The jack plate is the same distance off the back edge of the body, so that difference in where the edge of the backplate is against the seam between the Mahogany body and the Maple top is probably a good place to look to see the difference, quite a bit.

You can feel the difference while playing standing up with a strap, at least I can anyway, having gigged mostly McCarty thickness doublets since 2009. Not in a bad way. Feels beefy but without sacrificing in comfort and playability.

To me this model feels like the very best things of McCarty, the DC Ted and the McCarty Singlecut, all wrapped into one awesome guitar.

I now have this guitar dialed in with the strings I want on there, my straplocks, did a neck adjustment, and it plays perfect for me now. I also dialed in amp settings on both the Sewell and Archon 25 and have had some more playing time. Best sounding PRS ever, or best guitar ever (for me), this thing ROCKS!!

Last edited:
As I have said before, the body on the 594 is thicker than the McCarty, and that is no doubt one of the magic ingredients that makes it sound so great.

Here is a pic side by side with Alan/yankeebulldogs DC 245 Ted Private Stock, which is McCarty thickness:

UictlAEkbyIrPyNOacwZM5M3iaYHpXwQejYRQg7wpMtWnTK7Qdx0VQyc48gW22-hGkgMD1GK6D91TVEeBC67vaBSQQ-1vxMGYKf-zywUAS13wMBYu5cYXWgo96lQ2zfI5evoWuQomCPBAiYkXxsho_BN8WcuJcOVFjCtD6VZsH4hKo5_ctESZbjrE2Df9lI8wXhG4oBOVE33ewVmeMI4W_Lp3SD52J-vX1Ee-0-aI85MAxTLJOEO8gnAaYKcpsJpT9LX9NQO0N9cR-WZ-gnyVCr1IRFu0RkuDmmUAGfT7M8zBtMAq7IfhRwJY7l3dmULRD-emkVShoeaXQvYwAikFNq5IPx3sBTS8Okx-5nZ3-pPSOAKj1R53h7dpSJqfAZJOPvcI7c3QZ5fTIiOsJCozMLlf-ezdgMIB9ZpAyIvfyYtQYVoInXw8IdPDrEPRxinBwL4tIBMGSAjaz9OdDCHYuGNxF7ursbxo09FkmH9rT-IJqLQwEr7PPq_PJfZLJSvaWbs9MBvRlU1sCLX5UqBrpxcdv0rGUNo9q7CWOokelYPZsEoYPTzxs_GgizlonZHkos9vQ=w960-h1280-no

The jack plate is the same distance off the back edge of the body, so that difference in where the edge of the backplate is against the seam between the Mahogany body and the Maple top is probably a good place to look to see the difference, quite a bit.

You can feel the difference while playing standing up with a strap, at least I can anyway, having gigged mostly McCarty thickness doublets since 2009. Not in a bad way. Feels beefy but without sacrificing in comfort and playability.

To me this model feels like the very best things of McCarty, the DC Ted and the McCarty Singlecut, all wrapped into one awesome guitar.

I now have this guitar dialed in with the strings I want on there, my straplocks, did a neck adjustment, and it plays perfect for me now. I also dialed in amp settings on both the Sewell and Archon 25 and have had some more playing time. Best sounding PRS ever, or best guitar ever (for me), this thing ROCKS!!

Superb in every way!! I love it.

I love everything about the 594. But having Pete, with his amazing guitar history, declare this to be the best guitar ever is like an extra scoop of ice cream and sprinkles over the cherry already atop the sundae.

Thank you gentlemen for the photo pics! :)

And thank you Pete for answering my conversation and steering me in the right direction! :)

Last edited:
Hey guys! If you recall, I started this thread back when the 594 GOM was announced.

I might have had an indication at the time that later a Core model might happen. ;)

That is why I titled the thread generically as the McCarty 594 Love thread. So feel free to use this going forward to capture all the awesome Core, Artist and Wood Library 594's you guys are acquiring, and discussions on the model.

Congrats to you all on your great recent acquisitions!! Really cool to see so many happy new 594 owners so quickly after the Experience!!

Reactions: FJ4
What do you guys think the effect of a core model will be on the value of the 26 GOM?

I saw some posts on facebook of the kind "I'd be very upset if I had bought a GOM only to find out a few months later that it's no longer a limited edition". -clearly not very educated on how PRS PS works, and the difference vs core.

Not that I'm looking to sell. But from a resale value I would have thought the fact that they were so highly thought of that the 594 became a core model would have a very positive effect on the value of the original 26 GOM.

As you probably read here from me, I hated the upper horn toggle and doubted about an asimmetrical neck. Thanks to this 594 hype I started to be interested in one, but when I tried some at the Experience... I said: this is THE GUITAR. It has all the good things from LPs strats mccartys... PRS nailed it IMHO

What do you guys think the effect of a core model will be on the value of the 26 GOM?

None whatsoever.

PS guitars are in a different league, the existence of a Core model will neither raise nor lower the value.

Examples of differences: nitro finish; different bindings; work done by PS Dept which is on another level; different bridge materials; different inlays and woods. Etc.

Also...with the guitar resale market being very slow, it's not going to appreciate in value in any case. Anyone buying a PS thinking it's going to somehow fund their retirement is guilty of absurdly wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Congrats to you all on your great recent acquisitions!! Really cool to see so many happy new 594 owners so quickly after the Experience!!
Here's my River Blue RW Artist beauty that I purchased from Brett and the gang at Moore Music during Exp PRS; IMHO this was bar none the best 594 in the room...and I only say that cause I didn't see a PS with a RW neck...

594%20Collage.jpg

...I'll say this again; thanks again Pete for your continued PRS tonal journey and letting us join in the fun...your thoughts on this model definitely made my purchase a no brainer. Oh and your old SC RW Ted is still in safe hands...but this 594 might have ruined me a bit. Can you say 594 SC?

Here's my River Blue RW Artist beauty that I purchased from Brett and the gang at Moore Music during Exp PRS; IMHO this was bar none the best 594 in the room...and I only say that cause I didn't see a PS with a RW neck...

594%20Collage.jpg

...I'll say this again; thanks again Pete for your continued PRS tonal journey and letting us join in the fun...your thoughts on this model definitely made my purchase a no brainer. Oh and your old SC RW Ted is still in safe hands...but this 594 might have ruined me a bit. Can you say 594 SC?
I am in love with this guitar. OMG.

Back