The Oak Floor

After 25 years of owning PRS, I finally get me a 2003 Custom. This one is obviously player grade due to the dents on the front. You can see the dents, right? Anyway, due to all that horrible damage, I got it for a decent price. Most lively solid body I've ever owned. Doesn't have all the sounds, but the wood on this this thing feels like it got lectric runnin through it. A joy to play.
DSC_0243_zpsrrgqfhkc.jpg

Now this one, I'm not going to make it lay on the floor like a dog. This one gets put on a pedestal. 1986 pre-Standard 61508. And one day, I will mount a Roland GK pickup on it to fill those darn screw holes. Might as well return it to it's status as an 80s Synth God.

The hype behind the early years is entirely justified. Super rock solid player with a bazillion sounds available:
IMG_20160306_125438036_zps5oyywjqo.jpg

I'm going to go get a cup of coffee and prepare for the last update (probably for a while) - give me ten minutes. It just landed today, and has been sitting inside it's case waiting to warm up. If Mr. DeBlanc is in da house, he may want to take a seat.

1987 Standard. A few minutes ago, I opened the case and saw Electric Blue paint for the first time. I nearly suffered an attack of the isms, but I'm ok now.
DSC_0372_zpsvaiz5see.jpg

Last one, and this is a blast from the past. Found this photo taken in 1997 - my old 88 and 89 CEs when they were together:
DSC_0345_zpserf5mwsh.jpg

Now this one, I'm not going to make it lay on the floor like a dog. This one gets put on a pedestal. 1986 pre-Standard 61508. And one day, I will mount a Roland GK pickup on it to fill those darn screw holes. Might as well return it to it's status as an 80s Synth God.

The hype behind the early years is entirely justified. Super rock solid player with a bazillion sounds available:
IMG_20160306_125438036_zps5oyywjqo.jpg

Got the same drill holes on the white 91 Studio, what are you going to do?? I do not want to be a Synth God :(

A long time ago, before the dawn of history... I was a long haired metal dude. And like any proper 80s metal dude, I loved my Floyd shredders. I still have a few double locking Ibanez and Washburn Ns around, but PRS tend to get the lion's share of playing time.

And then this one showed up today. Because what kind of 80s kid could say no to OFR, EMGs and neck through? And an ebony board to boot.
DSC_0424_zpsj0reb2bf.jpg

One more for now.

Twenty years ago, I was forced to sell a 1968 ES-345 to pay medical bills. That guitar was amazing, and I never returned to the 335 camp - due to the cost of entry. I've wanted a PRS hollowbody since they were released, and yesterday was a special day. Presenting my "much loved by previous owner" 99 HBII. I am very tempted to add a custom Varitone and stereo output a la ES-345.
DSC_0425_zps1tvkzjiw.jpg

One more for now.

Twenty years ago, I was forced to sell a 1968 ES-345 to pay medical bills. That guitar was amazing, and I never returned to the 335 camp - due to the cost of entry. I've wanted a PRS hollowbody since they were released, and yesterday was a special day. Presenting my "much loved by previous owner" 99 HBII. I am very tempted to add a custom Varitone and stereo output a la ES-345.
DSC_0425_zps1tvkzjiw.jpg
Nice. I have a 99 in red.

Last edited:
One more for now.

DSC_0425_zps1tvkzjiw.jpg

Sweet! Royal Blue?

I was crazy over them as soon as they came out, too. I had wanted a 335, but the big body is awkward on me. Was thinking of a Heritage, but then Joe Knaggs gave the world the Hollowbody.

1987 Standard. A few minutes ago, I opened the case and saw Electric Blue paint for the first time. I nearly suffered an attack of the isms, but I'm ok now.
DSC_0372_zpsvaiz5see.jpg
OK dibs dude! No seriously! Dibs!

I absolutely love that color, ive always been a solid color on a guitar kinda guy. One day man! Sweet guitar!

Whale Blue that's starting to fade. Took the photo late afternoon; lighting could have been better.

Ah, okay. I couldn't see any natural maple at the edges, so I guessed Royal.

Back in '02, I had Sam Ash transfer a Whale Blue one to my location, but it arrived with a crack in the top at the f hole closest to the bridge. :(

Ah, okay. I couldn't see any natural maple at the edges, so I guessed Royal.

Back in '02, I had Sam Ash transfer a Whale Blue one to my location, but it arrived with a crack in the top at the f hole closest to the bridge. :(

Very sorry to hear that... hope it was repaired, but what a bummer. That was my fear about this HBII being shipped with only a gigbag. Box arrives with a headstock point sized hole in the top, I can see the headstock tip poking through bubble wrap (no gigbag after all). Luckily it survived with not even an additional beauty mark (seller verified this and apologized for shipping error). It was a testimony to the strength/sturdiness of the guitar, another PRS hallmark. Whale Blue with ivory rings has been what I've always thought of as one of the quintessential PRS color schemes.

Very sorry to hear that... hope it was repaired, but what a bummer. That was my fear about this HBII being shipped with only a gigbag. Box arrives with a headstock point sized hole in the top, I can see the headstock tip poking through bubble wrap (no gigbag after all). Luckily it survived with not even an additional beauty mark (seller verified this and apologized for shipping error). It was a testimony to the strength/sturdiness of the guitar, another PRS hallmark. Whale Blue with ivory rings has been what I've always thought of as one of the quintessential PRS color schemes.

Wha? That's crazy. I can't imagine what they would've done with the case. It's quite specific to the Hollowbody. I didn't buy the busted Whale Blue. It looked like it had languished in obscurity in the other store and even though Sam Ash offered me a discount, I wasn't going to buy my dream guitar already broken. Naturally, they put it up on the wall and sold it to someone else. I had them special order the Turquoise one I still have today.

Mine has literally circumnavigated the globe in a shipping container. In 2008, it went west from FL to Adelaide, Australia when I moved there. In 2010, when I returned to the USA, it went west on a boat all the way around Africa, up to NYC and was then trucked down to Atlanta. About a five month journey. And, when we were finally reunited, IT WAS STILL IN TUNE. o_O

Mine has literally circumnavigated the globe in a shipping container. In 2008, it went west from FL to Adelaide, Australia when I moved there. In 2010, when I returned to the USA, it went west on a boat all the way around Africa, up to NYC and was then trucked down to Atlanta. About a five month journey. And, when we were finally reunited, IT WAS STILL IN TUNE. o_O

I'm surprised that PRS doesn't have a page of extreme stability testimonies like yours on it's website. I've owned two Ibanez carbon fiber necks made by Modulus; those things really set the bar for me in terms of stability. A PRS set up correctly hangs just as well; I learned that lesson over 20 years ago.

And two more, starting with stock 2014 SE 245 in gold. Very similar to Bernie, with a slightly different neck. This is the one that'll be the test subject for my 1978 T Tops and nickel covers. I've wanted a gold top LP since hearing Steve Hackett on Genesis Live thirty years ago. Here's to hero worship...

DSC_0454_zpsskrynh1j.jpg

Back