The NFL and CTE

Harker1440

Ok Alot of us are football fans ( American Football ) being a international forum I felt the need to clarify what type of football sorry. Anyway recently alot of discussions are being had over the condition known as search Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease, usually diagnosed postmortem in individuals with a history of multiple concussions and other forms of head injury. As a matter of fact there is a class action lawsuit that has been filed against the NFL by over 3800 former players claiming the league didnt do enough to protect the players from injuries like concussions that can lead to this condition.

In the latest Twist Junior Seau's EX Wife and 4 children are suing the NFL for negligence the hemet maker Riddell for making sub standard helmets that didnt protect the players properly and what I find is Ludicris NFL FILMS for Promoting and Glorifying the Hits and Violence of the NFL.

Now I dont know what most of you guys think about all of this but my take on it is The NFL is one of those High Risk High Pay type jobs. Most players are paid alot of money for what they do, they step on the playing field every sunday knowing that they could be injured and or potentially have their career ended by a serious injury yet they do it for the paycheck, like race car drivers, miners, oil riggers. Hell I grew up on a farm and thats a dangerous job as well, Ive suffered broken bones contussions stitches concussions burns, but I wasnt handed a $100,000 paycheck on Sunday after I finished feeding the herd for the week.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong in thinking that If you know its a dangerous job and you can get hurt but you still do it anyway for the $$$$$ then you have to accept some responsibilty for the consequences of your choices?

I don't even watch football and I think that this will ruin the sport, didn't I hear something about them already changing the rules of where and how you can hit someone? It would be like making boxers wear those inflatable sumo wrestler suits.

I feel there is a thing called "informed consent". If you make a living bashing into things with your head, even in a helmet, you should be aware that perhaps there will be consequences from that. It's like boxers. They get whacked in the head and after a while they have problems.

I agree the NFL glorifies the violence. Heck, I even like watching a good hit it it's my team delivering it. But consider if they take too much of the "violence" out of the sport then fans will drift away and the money will dry up so the NFL won't change things too much.

Bottom line, anyone in the NFL knows there are risks both short term and long term and they accepted them years ago out of love of the game and the money.

I can see both sides of this debate.

On the one hand, you get people making obscene amounts of money risking their bodies and even lives. On the other you have a sport that couldn't survive without some physicality.

It's like flood insurance. Every year, the US Government pays out millions to flood victims only to have them rebuild in the same exact spot that was flooded out.

We each have our own limits as to what is reasonable. What is unreasonable is to make a choice knowing the risks and then cry foul when bad things happen.

Back