The New Zack Myers After a Few Months

Thanks Carl, my dealer called me a month back that he had an S2 singlecut in, and I may play it if he has it still.
I would like to get a USA Tremonti down the road since it has a thin neck.

I like the pattern/thin neck on my 408, but I do not think it is as quite as thin as the SE wide/thins.
you would love the studio. It is pattern thin as well and feels great!!!

Hollow bodes are a different guitar I have had a few and some great ones but overall they were just not my thing, I also found the SEs to be a gateway drug to the USA models for me Hollows needed to be played loud to get the body rattling to really get that tone.
I also find that many PRS need a bit of breakin I always suggest "Play the SH&T out of it change the strings and see what you hear" they seem to need sometime to loosen up from new.
If you are a Blues guys try a set of Jazz lite strings ( 11-50 with a wound 3rd ) that would be sweet IMHO
Good luck to you.

Thanks fellas for the overnight feedback. It is good food for thought. I am WAY old school because, well, I am officially "old" LOL. Not as old as the oldest forum member :) but I can see him from here. Since I use my guitars as primarily tools for making music, I do switch them around depending upon what I expect to play at the next gig. I am not putting down my ZMSETG in any way. #1 guitar ... let's see how do I arrive at my #1. Maybe like you too. My #1 is also old school. When I play it it always makes me smile and sometimes tugs on those deep emotion strings when I play it. I don't run pedals preferring to get my sound from my fingers and my amp. Blues is my heart music. Maybe that's it! We all know our sound comes first from our fingers. Perhaps my #1 makes my fingers sound way better than similar guitars and builds? This could be why my #1 causes me to feel like a "playah" while non-#1s just cause me to sound like, well, OK. Again I dunno. Just some random thoughts after years of playing. I look at SRV. He played his #1 Strat above all of his others. Why? He is reported as saying something like, "I like the way it sounds". Way much too philosophical thinking for this early in the morning. hahaha. Have a great day everyone.

All right fellas. I appreciate all of the positive feedback on this little thread. I do agree with everyone that bonding/feel/connection is a highly personal thing from one person to another. I don't believe there is any scientific or pseudo-scientific way to calibrate it all. I suppose at the close of the day that finding THAT guitar is sorta like finding the right life partner. Heck, that process took me three times over the years. hahahaha. The nice thing is that there are lots of choices out there :) Everyone has a choice. I love my ZMSETG too. Its a keeper in my sonic stable no matter what.

Maybe your expectations were a bit high on it Bob? I will admit that I did heavily consider buying the ZMSH, but then I heard the new S2 Mira SH so...yea, there goes that. You don't want to set the bar too high for the guitar. It has to work well for you, and what you use it for. I use two guitars in my band, a hollowbody and my CU24. I don't want to say that the HB is my number 1, but I sure do use it more then I do the CU24, and it isn't because I think it's the better of the two, I just feel like it works better for certain songs more then the Cu24 does. So maybe your new ZM just hasn't found it's niche with you yet?

I really love mine. Switching back to it from my American PRS guitars it does at first strike me as not in the same ballpark. But the whole package of sound, coil taps, scale length and quality, after a few minutes I like it again. I put new pickups and coil taps in both so I can't comment on the stock sound. It is very playable and fun though. All that said, it is not my #1 favorite....it has some tough competition.

Didn't want to bash the ZM absolutely, it's just saddening to read more and more people not bonding with that guitar, the most common thing that pops out here and there is that the guitar has no "soul"
Just worried, actually, because I really want to get one when the second batch will arrive here, and I can't try it out

Here's a simple solution for ya: don't buy one.

Buy a guitar that internet strangers who know nothing about your tastes, your music, or your playing style, tell you has "soul" instead. Then you'll be ok, content in the knowledge that you didn't screw up (until the next person you don't know comes along and tells you that you did, whereupon you'll have to sell it right away!).

As we all know, guitars with "soul" are so amazingly fabulous that you never, ever see one for sale on eBay because someone didn't bond with it, right?

No one ever says, "great guitar, but I just didn't bond with it," when they sell a guitar. You never see that, ever. Not with guitars that have "soul."

:rolleyes:

+2.

I've never understood this entire thing with a guitar having (or not having) soul or the ever elusive mojo. I can see people having preferences for neck, pickups, body shape even color, but what comes out of any guitar is in our hands and skill.

Last edited:
what comes out of any guitar is in our hands and skill.

I actually think there's a feedback loop that is brain >> hands >> instrument (and amp) >> ears >> brain >> hands >> instrument >> etc.

Folks probably mean that when they say "hands" I suppose, and in any case, we are on the same page.

Then, too, I think lots of people are so used to the relatively few guitar sounds they heard on recordings back in the day that anything unlike those sounds simply doesn't ring a bell, tick the boxes, etc. I can understand feeling that way, though I certainly think most PRS guitars are capable of making the so-called classic sounds, and that they can also go beyond those sounds.

As with anything, personal taste becomes a gigantic factor, but then what should be regarded as mere opinions are bandied about as though they were facts.

If I had a ZM, and it wasn't bringing the "it" factor, I think I'd at the very least try different pickups, different ancillary gear like pedals other than my usual suspects, and try to see if I could make it work for me. If not, well, that's life.

But so many times in my experience, a little thing like a pickup, or just the right pedal, can really bring a guitar to another level. It's certainly worth thinking about.

Doh! I missed the double meaning of hands in my post, I meant that we are responsible for our sound.
What is foreign to me is the idea of "classic sounds" as Ronson didn't sound like Martin Barre who didn't sound like Santana who didn't sound like Blackmore who didn't sound like Ron Wood who didn't sound like Jeff Baxter and Denny Diaz, and on and on...
I grew up musically with the idea that you tried to find your own sound(s) and that often meant some odd-ball gear. To me PRS guitars have their own voices (I hate the "somewhere between a Gibson and a Fender" description) and right now one of those is what appeals to me.

I once got hired for a series of gigs when a lead singer heard me noodling around on a beat to death arch top with two missing strings and the rest were dead, so for me a guitar without the "it" factor is the possibility of something cool happening if you bring your own soul and skill to the instrument.

I learned a long time ago when options were few that raising or lowering the pickups, and playing with the tone knobs on an amp could make a not so great guitar a lot better. I think these days we just have so many options for guitars, amps, pickups and pedals that we're quick to write off a lot of decent equipment if it doesn't strike our fancy out of the box. If I had a ZM that wasn't bringing "it" I'd first try to find what it was bringing and start from there.

Last edited:
I don't think I set my sights too high. If I did, it wouldn't be the first time though. LOL My ZMSETG has a niche in my sonic corral to be sure. My current gig is playing in a current Top 40s group. It works very well for that with no fx at all. Maybe I'm just missing all the guitar leads that seem strangely absent from the current musical hits. After years of guitar intros/fills/lead 1 / lead 2/ outro lick... rhythm leads are challenging in their own way. Nothing bad here at all. Just a semi-hollow body adjustment time. BTW - my new bandmates asked me if my ZMSETG was a $6000 guitar! I laughed my head off and said, "Why, yes. Why do you ask?" I fessed up later but it was a good story. They sprayed me with beer afterwards. Best wishes all ...

Don't have a ZM but I definitely have a #1. A couple of them actually and tied for that #1 slot, even though I have US PRSs and other American and more expensive guitars....is probably my Tremonti SE Custom.
AMAZING. And me too ...I love the WT carves.

Back