The New Wave Appreciation Thread. (Contest Inside!)

sergiodeblanc

A big part of my seasonal music diet for the months of October and November is made up of New Wave, there's just something about autumn that makes me want to revel in misery... but in a healthy way...You know,..it's raining, the trees are all pretty and dead, somebody somewhere doesn't like you and you pick today to be upset about it, just one of those self loathing days ... "and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die."*

I love it! It's the ultimate adolescent-temper tantrum primer! Joy Division, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus,... GOD! I just LOVED being so bummed out and introspective-like. Going to Medusas all-age shows wearing french-cuffs, being 15 and hanging out with new wave girls.... Dude, they were rocking' bustiers!... Yet, I was still sad....

I use this track to ease myself out of my normal Funk and Disco mind frame:

Peter Hook pretty much defining the modern bass tone for the past twenty years...thirty-some years ago:

I have an older sister and one of her girlfriends was named Jenni, I had the biggest little-dude crush on her and she was dating the keys player from The Cure.. for a minute... I devoured everything by The Cure! I wanted to be supercool in her eyes so I bought or acquired everything by them...Yet I'm still picking this totally obvious song 'cause it reminds me of junior-high make out parties:

Not a fan of Bagpipes.... but this is the one campfire song I'll sing and play:

I know there are some "wavers" here, chime in with your favorite tunes, experiences, make out story... whatever.. Your girlfriend liked OMD, let's hear about it.

* Contest rules.

1- Be the first to post the "correct"ultimate self-loathing song that contains these lyrics and win either 1000 "Bangin' Bucks" or a "one-of-a-kind" autographed Sergio de Blanc Maryland specification truss rod cover.

2-If you are the winner be prepared to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery of truss rod cover, I'm busy and don't have any small envelopes so I'll have to leave the house during regular business hours...it'll take a minute.

3-"Bangin' Bucks" are only available to be used in the "sergiodeblancsbangin'blog.../store/ 404 error code/" online store. There is absolutely no connection between the PRS guitars company and "sergiodeblancsbangin'blog.../store/ 404 error code/" store. "Bangin' Bucks" have no monetary value in this fourth dimensional illusionary world.

4-If the winner is feeling truly apathetic after winning the contest he/she may decide to refuse acceptance of any winnings and instead pledge to write angry poetry on the walls of a darkened room while listening to "Viva Hate" and eschewing human contact for 13 hours.

5-I reserve the right to end this contest at anytime in case I can't find my.....

Last edited by a moderator:
'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' or 'Girlfriend in a Coma' by The Smiths have got to be contenders surely.

Trivia - Boris, ex-bassist from The Cure and Siouxsie Sioux (yes HER) both live in our nearest town. We meet Boris occasionally in the cafe and Suzy horse rides at the same place as my partner and daughter. Do I get extra credit?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of The Smiths. * How soon is now

My contribution would have to be "There is a light that never goes out". Last year I was sitting in a pub in London having a pint and that song came on the juke box. I had a little moment then.

Well if we're talking New Wave, and general angst and feeling ignored, then you have to mention Missing Persons:

What are these words for, I think I'll dye my hair blue....

I know she would never be considered New Wave, but what about Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You"?? It has Hate in the title for crying out loud...
:dontknow:

Some love for the Church! I cannot tell you how many times I played that cassette (both the single, and the album).

I'd like to pick door number 4 please.

4-If the winner is feeling truly apathetic after winning the contest he/she may decide to refuse acceptance of any winnings and instead pledge to write angry poetry on the walls of a darkened room while listening to "Viva Hate" and eschewing human contact for 13 hours.

My own ultimate song of angst is A Forest, and has been since its release. I still have the record.

Sure, I was 29 at the time. So what. ;) I listened to that record every day, and it connected with me deeply.

One of the more interesting coincidences is that a few years back, my son Jamie worked as an assistant engineer for Flood, who worked as an assistant engineer on that record, and in fact got his moniker from that experience.

Flood also produced Depeche Mode, another of my favorite bands.

And in another strange twist of fate, Flood got Jamie into a Depeche Mode recording session, and to a Cure concert.

How's that for bangin'?

Yeah, it's not me, it's my kid, but heck, there is a gene pool thing happening...

My own ultimate song of angst is A Forest, and has been since its release. I still have the record.

Sure, I was 29 at the time. So what. ;) I listened to that record every day, and it connected with me deeply.

One of the more interesting coincidences is that a few years back, my son Jamie worked as an assistant engineer for Flood, who worked as an assistant engineer on that record, and in fact got his moniker from that experience.

Flood also produced Depeche Mode, another of my favorite bands.

And in another strange twist of fate, Flood got Jamie into a Depeche Mode recording session, and to a Cure concert.

How's that for bangin'?

Yeah, it's not me, it's my kid, but heck, there is a gene pool thing happening...

Sofaking Bangin'! Seventeen Seconds is my favorite Cure record, and A Forest plays a big part in that choice. Whenever I think of Flange as an effect, I think of it in relation to that song.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in this thread. Mere words are not enough to express how disappointed I am.

Sure, my first thought is to blame all of you, but in reality, it's not you it's me.

I saw that this was a new wave thread. I saw it was Sergio's. We spent quality time at Experience (with JustRob as a chaperone, filthmongers). I thought I knew what I was getting. I was wrong.

I was expecting some new-fangled way of visually greeting someone, but no, it's a music thread....

Well if we're talking New Wave, and general angst and feeling ignored, then you have to mention Missing Persons:

What are these words for, I think I'll dye my hair blue....

When my son was about five or six, I got a copy of Missing Persons' US Festival set on VHS. My son very quickly expressed an appreciation for Dale Bozzio.

I was 14ish when Spring Session M released and I was absolutely hooked when I saw a picture of her.

I'm a bit disappointed with the examples of "New Wave" that were posted. The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. were all British "2nd Wave" acts in mid-late 80's. Basically Brit-pop that gained success in US via MTV - particularly on their '120 Minutes' program.

New Wave pre-dated that and was sort of a follow on to punk rock. It included Gary Neumann, Missing Persons, Kim Wilde, Modern English, The Talking Heads, etc. It briefly held between late '79 to about '83. With only a few of those bands migrating out of the genre into mainstream MTV pop rotation (Talking Heads for example).

The funny thing was that U2 were originally marketed as a New Wave band with the single I Will Follow, until that genre collapsed in '83. Then they laughed about it in interviews and quickly distanced themselves completely.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed with the examples of "New Wave" that were posted. The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. were all British "2nd Wave" acts in mid-late 80's. Basically Brit-pop that gained success in US via MTV - particularly on their '120 Minutes' program.

Post some more "proper" examples! We had to start this off in a more mainstream way, I couldn't expect anybody to follow up on a thread with this dude as the first example!

Here's the two that introduced me to New Wave:

With this being the only one I ever played/sang on in a band:

That one was the seminal NW song in the area I grew up in. Weaker song than a couple others on After the Snow as far as I'm concerned, but girls liked it, and I liked girls.

New Wave pre-dated that and was sort of a follow on to punk rock. It included Gary Neumann, Missing Persons, Kim Wilde, Modern English, The Talking Heads, etc. It briefly held between late '79 to about '83. With only a few of those bands migrating out of the genre into mainstream MTV pop rotation (Talking Heads for example).

I was listening to punk and metal from '79-'83 and I didn't really care for the bands listed above. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I could go the rest of my life never hearing another Talking Heads song and be perfectly happy with that. I did like Devo and early Psychedelic Furs though and I guess they would be considered part of the first wave of New Wave.

I'm kind of there with you Shawn. Metal became my thing, but in early 80s I had a diverse collection. Had M's Pop Muzik on 45. Had Michael Jackson's Off the Wall. Black Sabbath, Kansas, Styx, AC/DC, ELO, Missing Persons and Bob Dylan. And Devo. And I bet I get more fllamed than you. I haven't been into anything U2 has done since the War album.

Last edited:
Back