The National Bureau of There Can Only Be One

Yup so strange but wonderful ya. Amazing how it all works and comes together in an almost poetic way. It’s something not supposed to happen when taken at face value (given that it’s all supposed to function on ‘only electronics’, but nature has ruled otherwise!

Turns out the vibrating string picks up certain things from the guitar, and the pickup also is a bit microphonic. The result, you hear stuff. Good stuff.

Great post as always. To your point, I had the chance to do a 3v3 on core SC 594 and DC 594. Not a huge sample by any means, but I did notice a difference between the two. These were mahogany body, maple top, mahogany necks, rosewood boards and same finish type. To be fair it was a 3v4, but my DC 594 has maple satin finished neck, so it added another variable. I have to agree with you, although no two sounded absolutely identical, there was intrinsic characteristics that was shared by the guitars. I strongly believe that DC 594s and SC 594s sound different. I hope I'll be able to do a similar test with the new nitro 594s that have pickups that are "tuned" differently to see if this "tuned" pickups mitigates the differences or if it explores the areas where each of these guitars shine best. I conjecture it's the latter.

Turns out the vibrating string picks up certain things from the guitar, and the pickup also is a bit microphonic. The result, you hear stuff. Good stuff.
Yup totally agree on both points. I suspect the microphonic effect happens whenever some external disturbance induces relative movement between the magnet and the coils. That can be caused by tapping your knuckles on the guitar body, tapping on the pickup itself, or the guitar body vibrating the pickups in a minuscule manner (same thing that causes feedback).

Back