The National Bureau of There Can Only Be One

László

Too Many Notes
This morning I watched a That Pedal Show video where the two protagonists’ regular Tele and Strat were compared with a ‘64 Tele and ‘61 Strat, playing through some wonderful amps and pedals. I think the video came out about a week ago. It’s very good.

Thus inspired, in my capacity as Director of the National Bureau of There Can Only Be One, I decided to compare my PS McCarty Singlecut (my “Hammer Of The Gods” guitar, note that it isn’t a 594!) to my WL 594 DC. The two guitars are obviously different, but since they head in a similar direction for their tonal inspiration, I figured why not. First the specs:

The McCarty Singlecut is a thicker bodied Singlecut than usual, without a belly carve. The neck and back are mahogany, the fretboard is Madagascar Rosewood, and the pickups are (I’m told) specially wound 57/08s.

The 594 WL is a little different; it’s a double cut, with a maple neck, BRW board, and mahogany back. The pickups are the 58/15 LTs.

I played them through my DG30 amp and cab, without pedals, and with pedals.

The question wasn’t which one’s objectively better in some way; the two guitars sound quite different. The task was (a) to figure out where the differences lay, and (b) to decide which one I’d pick IF there could only be one.

Spoiler Alert: I’d pick my McCarty Singlecut PS, hands down. Now for the comparison:

Anyone who tells you that a DC PRS of McCarty thickness sounds just like an SC PRS of SC thickness can’t hear very well, or doesn’t know what to listen for, simple as that. The much greater oomph and lower midrange power in the thicker SC is almost so obvious as to not be worthy of mention, except I’ve seen videos where people assert otherwise. They’re full of it.

One other difference in the bodies of the guitars: The SC is nitro, the DC is whatever finish PRS used in 2018 that’s very nice, but isn’t nitro. I think nitro guitars have a certain sound I can’t put my finger on, YMMV.

The mahogany and maple necks have a different tonal character. The maple is more flute-like or hollow sounding, where the mahogany neck is thicker sounding. I’ve found this true of my mahogany neck 594 Soapbar v the 594 WL unplugged, too, so it isn’t the pickups or amp. Of course, the McSC is 24.5” scale length, the 594 is, well, 594.

Notes come off the BRW fretboard a little differently than the Madagascar one. The BRW feels a little sparklier, the Madagascar a little creamier. Some of that is the difference in the necks, some is the fretboard.

On to the pickups...I don’t know how different the 57/08s on my McSC are from standard 57/08s. I heard somewhere that they’re specially wound, but I don’t know what’s different. Maybe one day I’ll find out. I can’t directly compare them to another SC like an SC58 with regular 57/08s because I sold mine before getting the McSC.

However the differences between the pickups as loaded into my guitars are pretty obvious. The 57/08s are a little more midrange-centric and have more gain, but still have plenty of cut. The 58/15 LTs have more top end clarity, less gain, a bit less midrange emphasis, and cut through in a different way. It’s difficult to compare the two instruments with the different pickups, but I think the 57/08s are “more me.” However, the 58/15 LTs are wonderful pickups and I’m glad the guitar has them because it offers a nice alternative.

Bottom line: For me, the McCarty Singlecut has a more vintage character and vibe than the 594 WL. Being a PS, it ought to offer something different, and it does. My 594 sounds like a more modern guitar. Since I’m a fan of vintage sounds, my preference between the guitars is based on that difference in tonal character.

What I’d love to hear is an SC 594 with the new nitro finish. I think that’d be a more valid comparison, and a dangerous one for me, since if it’s anything like my McSC in terms of that vintage vibe, I might have to buy it.

Hope you enjoyed that little dissertation. Here are the two guitars that I compared:

McCarty Singlecut PS

9jbLbz1.jpg

594 WL:

JaMBBaF.jpg

Last edited:
Let me try again!

Always a fun read with comparisons posts!

Having owned numerous DC and SC 594s at one point, including a DC 594 PS with SC thickness, I agree with you that the SC has a stronger push in the lower mids than the DC. My DC 594 has a Dark Peruvian Mahogany neck with Madagascar RW board and its killer with the 58/15LTs, but, I’m still a SC with a trem guy at heart! I do not currently own a SC594, but the new updates for 2020 certainly sound intriguing!

Having owned maple neck versus mahogany versus rosewood of the same model, I agree with your characterization of maple versus mahogany. I wonder if your DC 594 was a Mahogany neck, especially the voodoo Dark Peruvian Mahogany, if that would bring the DC a bit closer to the SC. Closer means to me still quite a gap in the lower mids though! The closet DC was the PS with SC thickness, but there was still a gap! I spent a lot of time trying to close that gap - until realizing (after buying Steve’s ME I SCT) was really the sound I truly wanted, modified with the P245T specs.

I think I heard from somewhere, maybe one of the dealers? that the HOTG PS run had the 57/08 Rev 3 pickups, which were slightly under wound compared to the stock 57/08s at the time.

Same strings and age of strings on both?

Both have Sono-Tone pure nickel hex core strings, if memory serves. I have no idea when I put them on. It wasn’t a scientific comparison test, just a chance to talk about the different vibes of the two guitars.

I made it a “There can be only one” thread because I thought that’d be kind of a fun thing; I liked that the Pedal Show guys picked between their own guitars and the two vintage ones.

Last edited:
Let me try again!

Always a fun read with comparisons posts!

Having owned numerous DC and SC 594s at one point, including a DC 594 PS with SC thickness, I agree with you that the SC has a stronger push in the lower mids than the DC. My DC 594 has a Dark Peruvian Mahogany neck with Madagascar RW board and its killer with the 58/15LTs, but, I’m still a SC with a trem guy at heart! I do not currently own a SC594, but the new updates for 2020 certainly sound intriguing!

Having owned maple neck versus mahogany versus rosewood of the same model, I agree with your characterization of maple versus mahogany. I wonder if your DC 594 was a Mahogany neck, especially the voodoo Dark Peruvian Mahogany, if that would bring the DC a bit closer to the SC. Closer means to me still quite a gap in the lower mids though! The closet DC was the PS with SC thickness, but there was still a gap! I spent a lot of time trying to close that gap - until realizing (after buying Steve’s ME I SCT) was really the sound I truly wanted, modified with the P245T specs.

I think I heard from somewhere, maybe one of the dealers? that the HOTG PS run had the 57/08 Rev 3 pickups, which were slightly under wound compared to the stock 57/08s at the time.

Appreciate the great info on the pickups, thanks!

Interestingly, I have a Peruvian mahogany neck on my PS CU24 30th Anniversary model, and had one on my Artist V. For all I know, I could have one on the HOTG. I really love Peruvian mahogany necks. They’re very lively.

But I can’t say whether or not having one on the 594 would make a DC closer to the HOTG. Maybe any mahogany neck would do that? I do have a mahogany neck on the 594 Soapbar, but because the pickups are so different, I didn’t include it in the comparison.

I think part of the difference (besides the nitro, and the scale length, and yes I do think that matters and you’d probably agree) is whatever the heck they do with the extra time and effort spent on PS guitars - Paul probably also does a mojo incantation before he signs them. ;)

Just surfing the web for a minute after googling “McCarty Singlecut PS” I got a link to this video from 2014, when the guitar was intro’d, done by Chicago Music Exchange. I think this video shows off the character of this model really well. Hopefully you can get a good feel for what I’m talking about re: its vintage vibe.

The much greater oomph and lower midrange power in the thicker SC is almost so obvious as to not be worthy of mention, except I’ve seen videos where people assert otherwise.
Couldn’t agree more! I’ve always been amazed how just the shape of the guitar can so fundamentally affect the tone. And this happening on an instrument people keep saying is nothing but a platform for electronics. For me it just adds to the mystique and allure that is the electric guitar!

This morning I watched a That Pedal Show video where the two protagonists’ regular Tele and Strat were compared with a ‘64 Tele and ‘61 Strat, playing through some wonderful amps and pedals. I think the video came out about a week ago. It’s very good.

Thus inspired, in my capacity as Director of the National Bureau of There Can Only Be One, I decided to compare my PS McCarty Singlecut (my “Hammer Of The Gods” guitar, note that it isn’t a 594!) to my WL 594 DC. The two guitars are obviously different, but since they head in a similar direction for their tonal inspiration, I figured why not. First the specs:

The McCarty Singlecut is a thicker bodied Singlecut than usual, without a belly carve. The neck and back are mahogany, the fretboard is Madagascar Rosewood, and the pickups are (I’m told) specially wound 57/08s.

The 594 WL is a little different; it’s a double cut, with a maple neck, BRW board, and mahogany back. The pickups are the 58/15 LTs.

The question wasn’t which one’s objectively better in some way; the two guitars sound quite different. The task was (a) to figure out where the differences lay, and (b) to decide which one I’d pick IF there could only be one.

Spoiler Alert: I’d pick my McCarty Singlecut PS, hands down. Now for the comparison:

Anyone who tells you that a DC PRS of McCarty thickness sounds just like an SC PRS of SC thickness can’t hear very well, or doesn’t know what to listen for, simple as that. The much greater oomph and lower midrange power in the thicker SC is almost so obvious as to not be worthy of mention, except I’ve seen videos where people assert otherwise. They’re full of it.

One other difference in the bodies of the guitars: The SC is nitro, the DC is whatever finish PRS used in 2018 that’s very nice, but isn’t nitro. I think nitro guitars have a certain sound I can’t put my finger on, YMMV.

The mahogany and maple necks have a different tonal character. The maple is more flute-like or hollow sounding, where the mahogany neck is thicker sounding. I’ve found this true of my mahogany neck 594 Soapbar v the 594 WL unplugged, too, so it isn’t the pickups or amp. Of course, the McSC is 24.5” scale length, the 594 is, well, 594.

Notes come off the BRW fretboard a little differently than the Madagascar one. The BRW feels a little sparklier, the Madagascar a little creamier. Some of that is the difference in the necks, some is the fretboard.

On to the pickups...I don’t know how different the 57/08s on my McSC are from standard 57/08s. I heard somewhere that they’re specially wound, but I don’t know what’s different. Maybe one day I’ll find out. I can’t directly compare them to another SC like an SC58 with regular 57/08s because I sold mine before getting the McSC.

However the differences between the pickups as loaded into my guitars are pretty obvious. The 57/08s are a little more midrange-centric and have more gain, but still have plenty of cut. The 58/15 LTs have more top end clarity, less gain, a bit less midrange emphasis, and cut through in a different way. It’s difficult to compare the two instruments with the different pickups, but I think the 57/08s are “more me.” However, the 58/15 LTs are wonderful pickups and I’m glad the guitar has them because it offers a nice alternative.

Bottom line: For me, the McCarty Singlecut has a more vintage character and vibe than the 594 WL. Being a PS, it ought to offer something different, and it does. My 594 sounds like a more modern guitar. Since I’m a fan of vintage sounds, my preference between the guitars is based on that difference in tonal character.

What I’d love to hear is an SC 594 with the new nitro finish. I think that’d be a more valid comparison, and a dangerous one for me, since if it’s anything like my McSC in terms of that vintage vibe, I might have to buy it.

Hope you enjoyed that little dissertation. Here are the two guitars that I compared:

McCarty Singlecut PS

9jbLbz1.jpg

594 WL:

JaMBBaF.jpg
I like it when you have time on your hands !

Couldn’t agree more! I’ve always been amazed how just the shape of the guitar can so fundamentally affect the tone. And this happening on an instrument people keep saying is nothing but a platform for electronics. For me it just adds to the mystique and allure that is the electric guitar!

Totally!

Appreciate the great info on the pickups, thanks!

Interestingly, I have a Peruvian mahogany neck on my PS CU24 30th Anniversary model, and had one on my Artist V. For all I know, I could have one on the HOTG. I really love Peruvian mahogany necks. They’re very lively.

But I can’t say whether or not having one on the 594 would make a DC closer to the HOTG. Maybe any mahogany neck would do that? I do have a mahogany neck on the 594 Soapbar, but because the pickups are so different, I didn’t include it in the comparison.

I think part of the difference (besides the nitro, and the scale length, and yes I do think that matters and you’d probably agree) is whatever the heck they do with the extra time and effort spent on PS guitars - Paul probably also does a mojo incantation before he signs them. ;)
No probably here, more like absolutely agree!

This is an interesting comparison of two things known to be quite different.

It could be fun to do some more.

Yeah, I realized they were different. What I didn’t make clear in my original post is that I wanted to have the fun of going through the comparison to answer the question, “What if I could only pick one of them?”

I’ve actually played the 594 more than the SC since getting it; a good chunk of why that’s so is that the HOTG is A little heavier. Turns out the heaviness is worth the extra effort to schlep around.

I’ve one from that run too, with the mammoth ivory. Wonderful guitar. May not be a divine hammer, but it sure is a sublime stunner!
tIelZIF.jpg

Ooooo. You know I love it.

The only thing this thread accomplished was to give me GAS for an SC594. Nice write up Les.

Glad you dug the write-up! Of course, the similar thing this thread accomplished for me is to make me consider getting a semi-hollow or hollowbody 594 SC, since I have the solid body SC amply covered by The Hammer Of The Gods. I’d have to sell my 594 WL to do that, or my wife would kill me in my sleep. So it’s not something I’m going to do - I like the 594 quite a lot as a general purpose guitar.

Speaking of 594s, I spent some quality time with some other guitars (the CU24 30th PS and my 594 Soapbar) last night. While a Soapy is more of a specialty thing for me than a general purpose axe, it really sounds quite wonderful. As for the CU24, my goodness it makes some great sounds.

Tim Pierce said in a video he released the other day about a vintage guitar he got, that he does his best playing on a PRS or Tom Anderson, and that they practically play themselves.

I was kinda hoping mine would play themselves and do a better job than I can, but no, I had to actually play them in order to get any music happening. :(

Still they sure play easily. Like buttah. ;)

McCarty Singlecut PS

9jbLbz1.jpg

594 WL:

JaMBBaF.jpg
Great write up! Any chance in getting you to do a comparison video on YouTube comparing the two? Come on I humiliated my self a couple weeks ago doing the Paul’s guitar comparison video :D I really think it would be cool

Back