"The Mod Plan" (The New Forum Guitar)

sergiodeblanc

Okay, this is the thread where we will gather all of the people who have parts to add to the "Forum Guitar" and decide what we will be modding it with.

We are depending upon donations for this but as far as what we will be putting on there, we still need a plan.

The basis of our guitar that Brian G. has donated looks something like this:

The first thing we need to do is have people who would like to have a part in the modding process to propose exactly what they have to add. After we hear what our choices are we will come to a general consensus of what will go where... and when.

I feel as though we should try to make this as cool and useable of a guitar as possible, somebody else will end up walking away with the guitar when this is all said and done, but in the meantime... We all get to play it! So let's make it awesome!

Adding a modification (besides you signature) is not a requirement for everyone who wishes to contribute to this project, but having an opinion on what we are going to do is a requirement!

My initial inspiration for this guitar comes from the amazing experience I had while completing my "Blanc" CE project. There are parts on it from at least five different forum members whom I barely knew before their amazing contributions to it, and it makes it such a special guitar for me, (and the story isn't even finished yet!) that I really want to be able to share that same kind of "mojo" with our "New Forum Guitar". I'm sure there are a bunch of us (me the most) who would love to just mod the whole thing themselves, but when we all share in the work, it adds a greater feeling of community and satisfaction.

I want to keep this thread open for ideas and submissions until this Friday, and then we will move forward with the logistics of where and when.

This is going to be...... Bangin'

Asked Shawn, and he say's if we are going to have this guitar clear coated once it's done, it would be good to have it "properly scuffed" before signing. I'm willing to pitch in, or possibly cover the cost (depending on the estimate) for this.

So what are we talkin' bout, some steel wool? Would it be possible to do ourselves? Don't hate on me for asking, I just have it in my mind that this could be a gift from us... so I would like to think we could take care of ourselves until the last minute.

:dontknow: Probably could do it ourselves. Just wanted to be sure it's right and not end up with blurs instead of signatures. I don't have any parts right now, but I'm sure I can find another way to pitch in.

:dontknow: Probably could do it ourselves. Just wanted to be sure it's right and not end up with blurs instead of signatures. I don't have any parts right now, but I'm sure I can find another way to pitch in.

No! You already are totally helping! Details need to be worked out for sure, but I just think it would be a cooler journey if we did it ourselves. This is still in the design phase, all input is welcomed and appreciated. This is OUR project. Not mine, not yours, but all of ours. So please bring up questions and suggestions!

I have an idea to incorporate our signatures into something more like a "finish" in a unified pattern and consistency. I think there may be a way where we could make this way cooler than the typical "autograph" guitar... It is a PRS after all.

OK. I say we go with 408s, a piezo trem bridge, BRW neck and board. Who's with me?

Oops. Wrong thread.

I've got no worthy parts right now, and I'm not terribly crafty, but I'll pitch in where I can. Are there thought on whether or not to change the overall appearance? Gucci and paisley have been done, so do you think we can get Shawn to pitch in a pair of shorts? Is shag coming back in? I've got a cat that is thoroughly pissing me off right now. Any chance of doing white fur?

I think it would be cool if this had some "unobtainable" PRS pickups, 53/10s for example, which are still around but just not available from PRS. Just thinking of how to make this guitar more attractive to a non-forum, raffle ticket buying punter...

I think it would be cool if this had some "unobtainable" PRS pickups, 53/10s for example, which are still around but just not available from PRS. Just thinking of how to make this guitar more attractive to a non-forum, raffle ticket buying punter...

Or, how about \m/ pups?

do you think we can get Shawn to pitch in a pair of shorts? Is shag coming back in? I've got a cat that is thoroughly pissing me off right now. Any chance of doing white fur?

:spitcoffee:

I really like the idea of some "unobtainable" pickups or at least something unique to put in there, my only concern is cost. Chris has already talked about perhaps having some pickups to use and as the week progresses we will have a greater understanding of who has what to add.

My biggest concern about spending money on pickups and new parts would be if it detracted from funds we could use to get this guitar to people in far away locations.

It means more to the project if the contributors used their own parts...a community build. Otherwise it will pressure some to go out and buy stuff or spend more money that is necessary. Most of us have things in our gear drawer/box/bag that would work fine. And at some point, further mods are unnecessary. From the sounds of it, almost everything that could be modded has been spoken for.

Another suggestion: standardize the pen for signing. Send it with the guitar so that whomever clear coats it, they know what wil work. If a variety of pends are used, there could be an epic fail.

It means more to the project if the contributors used their own parts...a community build. Otherwise it will pressure some to go out and buy stuff or spend more money that is necessary. Most of us have things in our gear drawer/box/bag that would work fine. And at some point, further mods are unnecessary. From the sounds of it, almost everything that could be modded has been spoken for.

Another suggestion: standardize the pen for signing. Send it with the guitar so that whomever clear coats it, they know what wil work. If a variety of pends are used, there could be an epic fail.

All very good points!

I'm working on a mock-up for a proposed signature/finish idea that I will post pictures of tomorrow.... everybody likes Gold Tops...Right?

I made a post in the main thread a few minutes ago. (It's post #69.) I don't know how to put a link to it here, or if it even should be part of this thread too, but just in case, here's what I wrote there:

I want to make a suggestion and see what everyone thinks about it. How about we dedicate this guitar (or even the project itself) to Bill Haggerty? We could name it "The Wilerty" or "The Wilerty Project" or something along those lines. Have a nice plaque made and placed either on the guitar or in a prominent place on the case.

As I said before, I never met him. I only knew him through his posts, so I don't know if his family or those close to him might have a problem with such a thing. Maybe we could contact his family and ask for their permission, etc. if needed?

Lloyd

Last edited:
I made a post in the main thread a few minutes ago. (It's post #69.) I don't know how to put a link to it here, or if it even should be part of this thread too, but just in case, here's what I wrote there:

I want to make a suggestion and see what everyone thinks about it. How about we dedicate this guitar (or even the project itself) to Bill Haggerty? We could name it "The Wilerty" or "The Wilerty Project" or something along those lines. Have a nice plaque made and placed either on the guitar or in a prominent place on the case.

As I said before, I never met him. I only knew him through his posts, so I don't know if his family or those close to him might have a problem with such a thing. Maybe we could contact his family and ask for their permission, etc. if needed?

Lloyd

Well of course there will be a place for Bill on this guitar. I personally don't even feel as though that is up for debate.

I like the idea of a "Wilerty Project" very much. I'm just not sure this is it. It's my impression that Sergio proposed this project to give us some healing after our last round of rancor. I very much think Mr. Wilerty should have a place on the guitar, perhaps the member who knew him best could sign for him with relevant dates.

But I'm thinking that a Wilerty project needs to build from an idea with Mr. Wilerty at its core. I just feel like this project had a different genesis and meaning.

With absolutely NO disrespect to Mr. Wilerty or to Lloyd for his idea,
Bill

I like the idea of a "Wilerty Project" very much. I'm just not sure this is it. It's my impression that Sergio proposed this project to give us some healing after our last round of rancor. I very much think Mr. Wilerty should have a place on the guitar, perhaps the member who knew him best could sign for him with relevant dates.

But I'm thinking that a Wilerty project needs to build from an idea with Mr. Wilerty at its core. I just feel like this project had a different genesis and meaning.

With absolutely NO disrespect to Mr. Wilerty or to Lloyd for his idea,
Bill

There was some talk of auctioning the guitar for charity. Maybe we can select a charity Bill, or his family prefer and still sticking to my understanding of the original intent of the project. Just a thought.

There was some talk of auctioning the guitar for charity. Maybe we can select a charity Bill, or his family prefer and still sticking to my understanding of the original intent of the project. Just a thought.

I like that.... We DO need to choose a charity. Maybe that task could start with Wilerty's family. We at least need to hear their suggestion...

Last edited:
Back