The lonely buzzing fret... Help!

ArnaudS1979

Hey guys, not so nice surprise tonight, my SE C24 has developed a very specific buzz. It is on the G string only. When I play the 4 fret, it starts to appear, 5th fret is about the same. 6th fret is buzzing happily. 7th is neat. I am out of sunlight so not best conditions but at first sight there is nothing obviously wrong with either 6th or 7th fret.

Any thoughts on where it could be coming from and how I get rid of this?

I'll try to take close up photos of the fret at the weekend.

Hey guys, not so nice surprise tonight, my SE C24 has developed a very specific buzz. It is on the G string only. When I play the 4 fret, it starts to appear, 5th fret is about the same. 6th fret is buzzing happily. 7th is neat. I am out of sunlight so not best conditions but at first sight there is nothing obviously wrong with either 6th or 7th fret.

Any thoughts on where it could be coming from and how I get rid of this?

I'll try to take close up photos of the fret at the weekend.
I would be checking for a high fret like this. It will rock.
I have a "string action ruler" but I'm sure a credit card is a good straight edge too. And the right size!

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the videos. The frets on the D string have started to do the same... Between that and my Epiphone producing white noise, this winter is not helping my guitar playing.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the videos. The frets on the D string have started to do the same... Between that and my Epiphone producing white noise, this winter is not helping my guitar playing.

Sounds like a truss rod tweak is in order. My Bernie needs one this time of year.

To be fair, we’ve been quite lucky with the weather on the east coast of Scotland this year.

Humidity can be a bit of a bu&&er for us in UK!

Hope you find your solution for both guitars.

If the guitar (PRS) is under warranty, see if your supplier can assist. If it is a high fret, adjusting this may affect your warranty.

Best of luck.

Did the weather change recently. Being winter sometimes guitars just need a truss rod tweak to set them right again. 1/4 turn or two might be all it takes.

His accent can be tricky, but Fruda explains really well in this video.

I would be checking for a high fret like this. It will rock.
I have a "string action ruler" but I'm sure a credit card is a good straight edge too. And the right size!

Alright, So it took me a wee while to get round to do it, but I have finally done some checks.

Frets: On the 4th and 12th frets the credit card was rocking, ever so slightly. So not the best fret job one has ever seen but at the same time it seems quite minor. Based on the advice from Fruda, the only thing that could have moved over the past weeks is the neck.

Truss rod: I don't have a cut out of D'addario string paper at hand. Using a business card, the string does rise at the 10th and 11th fret... Actually taking another look, the high E string is virtually touching the fret on the 10th and 11th string (just checking both as the neck has 24 frets). So I will give it a bit of relief.

Thanks for the links and the advice. Now I only need to fit a treble bleed on the volume pot and I'll be rocking again like there is no tomorrow :D

Right, 4 small turns (between the strings) seem to have got the better of the buzz. At the end of the last turn, the screw seemed to get slightly stiffer... maybe if I need more relief later on I'll get someone who knows a bit more what he is doing to look into it. Hopefully, it won't happen.

Back