The legend from Markiepalooza

That looks nice. Reminds me a bit of Victory Pig in good old Wilkes Barre PA.

I’m gonna have to make it a point to find one of these next time I’m in Indiana.

It's not like you wouldn't get lot's of assistance. :rolleyes:

However, you will have to wash your hands after PK before fondling any musical instruments. Markie's already undergone major expense refurbishing one of his guitars after Jizzy Jones left bodily fluids on it. :eek:

He feeds us well at Markiepalooza.....

.....and the main course is always Pizza King. Those who have tasted the forbidden fruit always demand it upon a return visit.

Oh ok. Cool. I thought maybe he had something to do with that chain or something, but cookies. Good. Pizza. Good. Stromboli. GOOD. I'll look for one next time I wander west of the border.

It's not like you wouldn't get lot's of assistance. :rolleyes:

However, you will have to wash your hands after PK before fondling any musical instruments. Markie's already undergone major expense refurbishing one of his guitars after Jizzy Jones left bodily fluids on it. :eek:

No worries! I’m a chronic hand washer, especially before playing guitar. I can’t even pick mine up without doing it.

I’d like to try that pizza. I’m big on regional pizzas. They’re all different. That’s what makes them so cool!

My area in Michigan has a place called Tomatoes, that uses a New Haven-NYC style coal - fired pizza oven. Coal-firing really affects the heat of the oven and the taste. The owner worked under one of the classic East Coast pizza place guys (in New Haven, CT, the alleged birthplace of US pizza) for a few years to learn the secrets. Thin-ish crust, the stuff tastes amazing; the owner uses really fine ingredients. It’s been my favorite ever since they opened.

But I like the deep dish Chicago pizzas, too. In college I once drove 300 miles to Chicago, and back in one night wIth a few friends because we craved it. We got into Chicago, had the pizza, and then drove right back to Ann Arbor. And yes, of course we were nuts. But Uno’s and Due’s were legends at the time (1969), and they were open all night. So we figured, WTF, and went for it. I’m told that Uno’s and Due’s aren’t quite the same these days. Lou Minatti’s is good though.

We had a legendary place called Rocky’s, a little hole in the wall with amazing pizza, but when Rocky died, so did his restaurant. I guess it was pizza to die for...

Detroit also has a semi-deep dish square pizza that’s good (Buddy’s) but not as gourmet as the Tomatoes coal-fired.

No one here except little kids really likes Detroit’s famous pizza, Little Caesars or Domino’s. It’s junk. Garbage. But you all know that. Still, I’ll eat it if it’s around...

Basically, I like pizza. Gimme! I’ll eat any of it.

Next time I’m in Indiana, I’m trying some of that.

“When will you be in Indiana, Les?”

“Like, maybe 2040?”

“You will absolutely, positively, be dead in 2040.”

“Then I can eat all the pizza I want, right? I won’t have to worry about my heart!”

Last edited:
I’d like to try that pizza. I’m big on regional pizzas. They’re all different. That’s what makes them so cool!

My area in Michigan has a place called Tomatoes, that uses a New Haven-NYC style coal - fired pizza oven. Call-firing really affects the heat of the oven and the taste. The owner worked under one of the classic East Coast pizza place guys (in New Haven, CT, the alleged birthplace of US pizza) for a few years to learn the secrets. Thin-ish crust, the stuff tastes amazing; the owner uses really fine ingredients. It’s been my favorite ever since they opened.

But I like the deep dish Chicago pizzas, too. In college I once drove 300 miles to Chicago, and back in one night wIth a few friends because we craved it. We got into Chicago, had the pizza, and then drove right back to Ann Arbor. And yes, of course we were nuts. But Uno’s and Due’s were legends at the time (1969), and they were open all night. So we figured, WTF, and went for it. I’m told that Uno’s and Due’s aren’t quite the same these days. Lou Minatti’s is good though.

We had a legendary place called Rocky’s, a little hole in the wall with amazing pizza, but when Rocky died, so did his restaurant. I guess it was pizza to die for...

Detroit also has a semi-deep dish square pizza that’s good (Buddy’s) but not as gourmet as the Tomatoes coal-fired.

No one here except little kids really likes Detroit’s famous pizza, Little Caesars or Domino’s. It’s junk. Garbage. But you all know that. Still, I’ll eat it if it’s around...

Basically, I like pizza. Gimme! I’ll eat any of it.

Next time I’m in Indiana, I’m trying some of that.

“When will you be in Indiana, Les?”

“Like, maybe 2040?”

“You will absolutely, positively, be dead in 2040.”

“Then I can eat all the pizza I want, right? I won’t have to worry about my heart!”
New Haven does have good pizza! I miss my east coast pizza, especially Sicilian style. And the cannolis :)

I also love Chicago deep dish, but I prefer Pequods. Here in the PNW, I might as well be in the Sahara desert when trying to find a deep dish pizza. Good deep dish pizza? Fuhgedaboudit! :p

From 2012...proof of Pizza King

minibampizzaking.jpg

and 2017...
minibampizzaking2.jpg

Last edited:
Back