The Last Pedal on Earth

One? You're talking crazy my brutha!
Well, with the band I'd have to go with something like the TC Electronics G-system to give me flexibility in fx, routing and programming. By nature, I'm a high gain guy. I can play completely dry if need be. Most of my high sound is dry a lot of the time. That said, effects are the spice of life. I love going from a very wet clean sound to a straight dry high gain sound. I like swirling phaser/vibe type effects the most. Off the top of my head, I might go with Earthquaker Devices the Depths since it can do subtle to extreme chaos. I also like the old blue line 6 modulation modeler.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;165482 said:
Yeah, I occasionally play through a '64 Twin Reverb. My primary is an EF86/EL84 Bad Cat or an Orange Hard-wired Tiny Terror (also EL84).

Loving EL84's myself, I run a 2xEL84 Laney into a 2x12 Greenback loaded cab fairly clean ( to keep up with our jam band I run the master around 13:00 and gain around 09:00)

After some experimentation with several pedals I got a TC Nova System as the only thing at the front of the amp. Great effects and a beautiful analog drive. Don't see me going back to pedals anytime soon...

Loving EL84's myself, I run a 2xEL84 Laney into a 2x12 Greenback loaded cab fairly clean ( to keep up with our jam band I run the master around 13:00 and gain around 09:00)

After some experimentation with several pedals I got a TC Nova System as the only thing at the front of the amp. Great effects and a beautiful analog drive. Don't see me going back to pedals anytime soon...

The Nova system is a very good box, one of the best sounding for what it does. I had one and might get another.

I really only use a bit of delay. I like the Strymon TimeLine because I think it's really versatile. It also has a looper which I use frequently. Admittedly it has more options/buttons/knobs than I care to be responsible for, but I really liked their site and content and wanted to support that. I'd probably use a Strymon El Capistan if I wasn't using the TimeLine.

For sure. For under $150 you have a Plan-B pedal that could be useful for those "awww sheet" situations where something's died, something's not sounding right or "gee I wish I had my such-and-such pedal" for this song. Not to mention that it seems to have some decent sounds to play with.

I have a MS-100BT coming in on Saturday, can't wait to give it a try. One more thing I wish I had when I was a working musician.

Cool! Don't get discouraged by the presets and let me know if you like it.

For a reverb pedal, go with the Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb pedal. A Fender three knob reverb unit in a pedal. The Best stand alone reverb pedal I have ever heard. If you like a big tube spring reverb that is.

Cool! Don't get discouraged by the presets and let me know if you like it.

I got it in on Friday and have been playing with it since. Once you get the hang of it the pedal is really easy to use and creating presets is a snap.
I plugged it into my son's Cube X15 practice amp and was able to get some great sounds out of it using the amp models and sometimes a bit of EQ. So far I'm pretty impressed with what this pedal can do and can't wait to compare the amp sims to my tube amps and try out the effects more.
The number of uses for it really are something.
Thanks Sergio for turning me onto this pedal.

I got it in on Friday ....

I'll be curious to hear what, if any, downloaded algorithms you wind up buying sound like. It took me a while to try different dirt pedal/amp emulations before settling on the Gov'nor pedal and the GEQ driving the front end of an amp. I'm pretty psyched with how flexible and nice sounding it is. The new Zoom stuff is kinda like Ryobi cordless power-tools: Totally useable tools at throw-away prices.

Here is a quick backing track that I threw together in a minute demonstrating a "heavy" tone and a lightly breaking-up JMP style thing that sounds to me like something off of "Presence".. all direct into an under $200 interface, into Logic, with absolutely zero processing done besides what comes outta the Zoom.

https://soundcloud.com/sergiodeblanc/rocker-9-8-14-1242-am

Last edited:
I discovered fuzz really late - it seemed to kick all my distortions off my board. But my fav fuzz is the Magnetic Effects Solar Bender and has never left my board.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be curious to hear what, if any, downloaded algorithms you wind up buying sound like. It took me a while to try different dirt pedal/amp emulations before settling on the Gov'nor pedal and the GEQ driving the front end of an amp. I'm pretty psyched with how flexible and nice sounding it is. The new Zoom stuff is kinda like Ryobi cordless power-tools: Totally useable tools at throw-away prices.

Here is a quick backing track that I threw together in a minute demonstrating a "heavy" tone and a lightly breaking-up JMP style thing that sounds to me like something off of "Presence".. all direct into an under $200 interface, into Logic, with absolutely zero processing done besides what comes outta the Zoom.

That sounds pretty legit Serg, nice job:rock:

Dang, that sounds really good, Serg! I like the playing and the riffage, too.

So when you went into Logic with the pedal, did you use an amp model along with the pedal, or was that all in the pedal?

My Toneczar Echoczar would be the "one" ... I suppose I waited so long for it and it wasn't cheap so there might be some confirmation bias going on, but I don't care, it's just a wonderfully organic sounding delay pedal that constantly inspires and can be literally "played" almost like its own instrument with expression pedals attached. A wonderful piece of kit.

That sounded great Sergio! I was wondering how good this thing would sound going direct, and Mikey likes! Nice playing too! I'll have to get some time to try out recording with this. BTW, what settings did you use on that track?

I went a bit download crazy yesterday and grabbed most of the amp sims except the bass amps and the Mesa Recto. Also picked up a nice selection of different reverbs and OD patches. My Zoom R8 came with a lot of these but the pedal just has so many more like the Carr and Matchless amp sims, and of course the KLONE.

That sounds pretty legit Serg, nice job:rock:

Sergio: sounded great!!!

Ha! Thanks.. I was just foolin' around. I was initially thinking about making a "Bang Stallion" theme song but got distracted... You're supposed to wail "in the night" like Ozzy when the little lick in the middle of the chorus comes around. :tongue:

Dang, that sounds really good, Serg! I like the playing and the riffage, too.

So when you went into Logic with the pedal, did you use an amp model along with the pedal, or was that all in the pedal?

All in the pedal. I didn't use any additional plug-ins besides the bass track, squishing the master outputs, and some verb on the snare track. The cleaner section is the same amp model as the heavier part with the volume knob rolled down, I wanted to see how touch-sensitive it was and how it would do edge-of-breaking-up tones since that's generally what modelers have a hard time with.

I mean come on! That sounds pretty alright for less than the price of a single SM57, I think.

That sounded great Sergio! I was wondering how good this thing would sound going direct, and Mikey likes! Nice playing too! I'll have to get some time to try out recording with this. BTW, what settings did you use on that track?

I went a bit download crazy yesterday and grabbed most of the amp sims except the bass amps and the Mesa Recto. Also picked up a nice selection of different reverbs and OD patches. My Zoom R8 came with a lot of these but the pedal just has so many more like the Carr and Matchless amp sims, and of course the KLONE.

Ooh! Super curious to hear how you like the Klone, I think a BT might be in my future.

I used the Rack Compressor and Marshall model and just fiddled with the cab simulators until I found one that worked, I seriously put all of twenty minutes into it as you can tell by me copy and pasting the whole arrangement. I never did get to the guitar solo.

The cleaner section is the same amp model as the heavier part with the volume knob rolled down, I wanted to see how touch-sensitive it was and how it would do edge-of-breaking-up tones since that's generally what modelers have a hard time with.

That was one of the first things I tried with the amp sims and was pleasantly surprised. Of course I could have just created a clean patch with the gain turned down but I like how the sims respond like I'd expect an amp to.

Just wondering, was the rack comp before or after the Marshall in the chain?

Back