The Last Pedal on Earth

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I've never been a pedal guy. These days, I can't get down without my Xotic EP Booster. So, I am going to build a small pedalboard. It will contain the EP Booster, an Xotic Wah, a Klon KTR, a Fulltone OCD, a Bad Cat X-Treme Tone, and a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner.

I want to take one last look around for anything I may have missed before I wire it up. I am currently considering the Eventide H9 because I have no delay, reverb, chorus, or flanger. Plus, I wouldn't mind having a toy in the mix. If I get it, I will drop the SR tuner from the line-up (the H9 has one).

Alas, I do not want a big board. I'm already concerned about the tone-suck I might experience with this many pedals. If I add any more to the mix, they had better be special. That brings me to this question.

If you could only have one pedal on your board, what would it be and why?

Tone samples and/or YouTube clips would be helpful. Thanks for your input.

Hans, after many years of this stuff, I've reached a few conclusions that might be worth investigating. But first I'll answer your most burning question:

The pedal you need most isn't a pedal at all, it's a high quality buffer box.

I happen to use the Suhr Buffer, but there are several very good candidates on the market, so don't let me sway you by reference to this one brand.

Tone-suck takes place for a variety of reasons, but one big one is that the signal coming out of a passive pickup is incredibly tiny. By the time it has reached the end of a 20 foot cable it has significantly degraded, especially at the critical high frequency that not only gives treble its brightness, but the higher frequencies also serve to add definition to the harmonic overtones of bass signals. I use a shorter cable to the pedalboard for this reason.

A buffer at the very beginning of a pedalboard (unless you have a vintage style wah, which I'll get to in a moment) preserves the integrity of the signal reaching the pedalboard and maintains the integrity of that signal as it travels through the board, unless you have poor quality, non true bypass or poorly buffered pedals following it. The better and more transparent the buffer, the better your signal as it heads through the various connections and makes its way to the amp.

If you worry about tone-suck, then your first order of business is a buffer, and the tone suck will be prevented, provided that you're reasonably careful in your choices of pedals and cables. Fulltone also makes a high quality buffer in its ABY box, and there are others of course.

You will never hear the effect of a buffer in a youtube clip, so I won't include one. But if you do your homework on buffers, and get yourself a transparent one, you'll hear nuance and subtlety that you will only otherwise hear with a cable directly inserted into the input jack of your amp.

If you have a vintage wah, it doesn't like to be after a buffer. It will need to be first in the chain. A good true bypass one won't take too much away when it's off, and next in line should be a buffer -- unless you have a vintage style fuzzbox, some of which also lose a little tone following a buffer. I have a solution for this, but it involves a true bypass looper and this isn't what you asked for. Modern fuzzes don't mind so much, which is why I use the Fulltone Catalyst when I use a fuzz these days (and there are plenty of good fuzzes out there that aren't really sensitive to the issue of a buffered input; in fact, a vintage fuzz also doesn't like to follow a vintage wah, so the buffer actually helps in that case).

In any case, bottom line -- the buffer will solve your worries about tone suck with what you have in mind.

As good as the KTR buffer is, I think a high quality, separate buffer is a better choice. The buffer in the KTR is designed to work with that pedal, but in no way has the quality of parts that you'll find in a better standalone buffer.

I will also put in a recommendation for the Eventide H9. I really love the Eventide effects boxes, and think they're the most natural sounding of the digital boxes I've had. The H9 combines them into a single box, and adds the functionality of being able to adjust the effects on a computer or mobile device instead of on your hands and knees twiddling knobs, something I find highly inconvenient with a guitar wrapped around your shoulder and neck. The H9's only drawback is one effect at a time, but at least it will be a good effect!

I like the Suhr because it uses premium parts and is made from nicely machined aluminum. It's tiny, has an output for a second amp (I connect my strobe tuner to this output to keep it out of the signal chain) with a phase switch. It's powered by a 9-18 volt standard center pin negative jack. Don't let the large picture fool you, it's TINY.

Finally, I have found that the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power series is equal to or better than anything else out there by virtue of its isolated outputs. Some Voodoo lab models will power a variety of digital pedals including the H9.

Note: there are pedals with electronic bypass circuits that still tend to create a bit of dissatisfaction for me; they seem to take something away from the signal that's hard to define, the result is subtle. And there are also very good sounding pedals (when they're engaged) that aren't true bypass, and that noticeably suck tone when they're off. This is why I use a True Bypass Switch Box, with two loop sends and returns. I stick the offending pedals in these loops, and can switch the whole loop out of the chain when I want. So they're only in the chain when they're on, and take nothing away when they're off. Which is good. Lots of folks make these kinds of switch boxes.

Again, it's a painless way of preserving your signal without tone suck, so you can use as many pedals as you want without suckage.

Les

PS - forgive me for turning this post into a magnum opus, but the difference between a good buffer and a great buffer isn't easy to hear unless you know what to listen for. Most buffers will preserve the signal's high frequencies. That's a given. A great one, however, will deliver a natural tone and a slightly more three dimensional quality. It's a certain something that is the difference between being vaguely dissatisfied with your tone, and thinking you're having a great tone day. That's the only way I can put it.

Kind of like the difference between a really great magical guitar and a very good one...you can't really explain it, but there's just a certain something there that makes playing the great one a more involving experience.

Slightly vague, I know, but I think you'll hear it and feel it.

Last edited:
Great read above, thanks

I use my looper more than anything else, for practice (simple ditto looper)

You use a Fender combo, right?

I've been digging the Lovepedal Eternity Fuse a lot lately. Ultra smooth, refined version of a TS, plus a second setting that has a Plexi/800 vibe, and a third that's a mixture of the two. Super versatile, great for jazz, blues, classic rock. Although I'll admit, this one behaves strangely, must have a buffered pedal in the chain after it to sound right, very odd in that regard. Guess I'm cheating on the one pedal thing, but you really want a good buffer if you're worried about signal loss in a board. I think Les may have touched on the buffer topic briefly above...

And the Wampler Plexidrive, supremely bitchin Plexi sound that doesn't need to make any "good, for a pedal" excuses. Awesome crunch, or can be dialed back just for the EQ coloring.

These 2 have brought me back from a dark place of not liking drive pedals!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had "rock" band practice tonight and rolled up with just my Zoom MS-50 and plugged it into a Soldano Hot Rod 50. I used it for a tuner, drive, eq, noise gate, compressor, and delay, I know everybody'll blow me off 'cause it's under a hundred bucks but the thing is seriously blown' my skirt up... The owner of said Soldano even asked my what I had done to his amp to make it sound so nice.

Seriously, besides the pitch-based stuff and some inherent noisiness in some of the drive models the thing is Bangin'! $100 for the bluetooth version with downloadable effects algorithms could help you keep your board small.

I'll have to check that out Sergio, as I've been using a Zoom R8 (another gift from my wife) for song writing and have been pleased with the effects and amp models. Might be cool to get the same sounds through my amp.

Yeah Mike, if you've already gotten a taste of what they're doing now and dig it... There's so much it can do! Need twelve bands of parametric eq? got it. Maybe you just need a delay pedal or an occasional phaser? got that too. I know it sounds absurd sandwiching a $70 pedal between almost four grand worth of gear but... whatever works.

For me, it's the Timmy:
rgs-pc-tmy__2_1024x1024.jpeg

It has become my "always on" pedal. I set the gain very low and give the signal a bit of boost and there is something about it that just make the guitars sound like "more" of itself. Bigger, clearer, more articulate...I guess it gives me a lot of the things that Les describes above regarding his buffer if you think about it. It's also incredibly transparent, even with a healthy dose of gain.

Yeah Mike, if you've already gotten a taste of what they're doing now and dig it... There's so much it can do! Need twelve bands of parametric eq? got it. Maybe you just need a delay pedal or an occasional phaser? got that too. I know it sounds absurd sandwiching a $70 pedal between almost four grand worth of gear but... whatever works.

Whatever works Sergio, and these days we have so many great tools to do it with. I've been working on a new tune and wanted a vintage garage vibe so went with the Zoom's Brian Setzer amp pre-set. Bam, nailed what I was looking for.
A good friend of mine used to always keep the Red Bean with him as often his back line was provided and sometimes not exactly what he wanted.

Right now I'm digging the tcelctronic Hall of Fame Reverb (full size). No tone suck, and no volume issues even in the Archon loop.

Great info from Les, as always. I don't use a buffer, but I use short (10' to board, 12' to amp) low impedance cables and all pedals are true bypass. Works well for me. The low impedance cables are a big deal. Noticeable to the point of needing to re EQ my pedals and amp after the switch from regular cables.

Man, only one pedal? That would be my AC Booster. Such a great sounding, versatile pedal. Time will tell if the SL Drive can bump it from the top spot. Honorable mention to the Ibanez AD99 Delay. I used it from the late 90's and only took it off the board for the more versatile Flashback X4. Delay is a major part of my tone.

Sergio,
Just checked out the Zoom MS-50G. This looks like it might be the one to keep in the gig bag as it has a lot of uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
10613130_10202702494985125_1536707642115729168_n.jpg
10672051_10202702493745094_8502071865544395171_n.jpg
I'm not a big user of pedals either. What I do like is a MXR analog carbin copy delay in the loop, and my old Ibanez TS9 I've had forever, (since '78 I think?) up front. With a good tube amp...I'm good to go. Oh..and that old tube screamer looks it's age....beat to hell. But sounds as good as ever...that's why I still use it. And yes..that's black duct tape.

Last edited:
Sergio,
Just checked out the Zoom MS-50G. This looks like it might be the one to keep in the gig bag as it has a lot of uses.

So many uses. I have two of them now which basically can give me three independently processed channels with spillover delays for under $200. Look at the MS-100BT that has additional algorithms for .99, they have a Klon, and a Timmy, Strymon, ADA, and Eventide knockoffs.

Cool stuff when you consider the price... I still have a champagne habit to maintain you know. :cheers:

For sure. For under $150 you have a Plan-B pedal that could be useful for those "awww sheet" situations where something's died, something's not sounding right or "gee I wish I had my such-and-such pedal" for this song. Not to mention that it seems to have some decent sounds to play with.

I have a MS-100BT coming in on Saturday, can't wait to give it a try. One more thing I wish I had when I was a working musician.

Last edited:
Back