The Ideal Guitar Case - If Only!

László

Too Many Notes
I wish someone would make this:

1. A case about as light as a gig bag; and,

2. Impervious to humidity changes (in terms of RH retention, using something like the Boveda/D'Addario humidipaks) similar to a hard, wooden case (most of the nicest gig bags cannot achieve this goal); and,

3. With the strength that it could be at the very least a carry on bag in the overhead compartment of an airplane, and if necessary, survive a trip in the baggage compartment of a plane; and,

4. With the ability to maintain a set temperature range during a flight or transport.

5. I do not want to look at bags or cases with ugly neon coverings, sorry. WTF, black cases work fine for me.

Impossible, right?

No!

Cases meeting these specs 100% exist in the classical music world. You'd think that will 3 or 4 million guitar players, a case like this would find a very ready market. Yet for us it doesn't exist. C'mon, man.

A Carbon fiber case like the Hoffee might be a fantastic platform, but it's still on the heavy side, as are the Calton cases. I don't want to save two or three, or five or six pounds over a wood case. I want to save ten pounds. Plus ability to maintain a set temperature? Not available.

"You rarely go anywhere with your guitars, Les, so it doesn't much matter."

"But when I do go to outside studios to work, saving my back would be totally worth the money. And then there's coddling my guitars."

"What about amps?"

"I would kill for a light weight but protective head shell. I mean... heavy plywood? WTF!!!!" I get that a wooden cab might help with tone that's expected from an amp. I'm fine with that. However, a head shell? No, it doesn't affect tone!!"

Last edited:
I have long dreamed of designing and making a carbon fiber case that is very close to the same size as the guitar. It would have very thin padding/insulation and be 100% water tight.

One of these days, I’ll get around to it.
Sounds great!

I know of a violin case that was actually temperature controlled. That'd be great, too, especially for instruments finished in nitro.

I'll be your first customer, assuming I'm still alive when you get around to it!

I want a case that can shrink my guitar for the plane ride.
Shrinkage? Just take it swimming in cold water.
I’d settle for one with a protective slot for my Pappy!
You could wear an athletic cup to protect your...uh...pappy...if you're all that concerned about traveling with it.

But if you really want a case for it, you might have to decide if you want a hard case, or a soft case. Reunion Blues demonstrates a soft-ish case if you feel like throwing your 'pappy' off the roof of a building, like in their demo videos, but hey, what you do with your junk is completely up to you.

Last edited:
Shrinkage? Just take it swimming in cold water.

You could wear an athletic cup to protect your...uh...pappy...if you're all that concerned about traveling with it.

But if you really want a case for it, you might have to decide if you want a hard case, or a soft case. Reunion Blues demonstrates a soft-ish case if you feel like throwing your 'pappy' off the roof of a building, like in their demo videos, but hey, what you do with your junk is completely up to you.
That’d be Pappy Van Winkle…..bourbon. My junk is fairly safe where it is. I say fairly because of that one time I stepped on a push broom when I was working at K-Mart while going to school…..

That’d be Pappy Van Winkle…..bourbon. My junk is fairly safe where it is. I say fairly because of that one time I stepped on a push broom when I was working at K-Mart while going to school…..

simpsons-sideshow-bob.gif

I wish someone would make this:

1. A case about as light as a gig bag; and,

2. Impervious to humidity changes (in terms of RH retention, using something like the Boveda/D'Addario humidipaks) similar to a hard, wooden case (most of the nicest gig bags cannot achieve this goal); and,

3. With the strength that it could be at the very least a carry on bag in the overhead compartment of an airplane, and if necessary, survive a trip in the baggage compartment of a plane; and,

4. With the ability to maintain a set temperature range during a flight or transport.

5. I do not want to look at bags or cases with ugly neon coverings, sorry. WTF, black cases work fine for me.

Impossible, right?

No!

Cases meeting these specs 100% exist in the classical music world. You'd think that will 3 or 4 million guitar players, a case like this would find a very ready market. Yet for us it doesn't exist. C'mon, man.

A Carbon fiber case like the Hoffee might be a fantastic platform, but it's still on the heavy side, as are the Calton cases. I don't want to save two or three, or five or six pounds over a wood case. I want to save ten pounds. Plus ability to maintain a set temperature? Not available.

"You rarely go anywhere with your guitars, Les, so it doesn't much matter."

"But when I do go to outside studios to work, saving my back would be totally worth the money. And then there's coddling my guitars."

"What about amps?"

"I would kill for a light weight but protective head shell. I mean... heavy plywood? WTF!!!!" I get that a wooden cab might help with tone that's expected from an amp. I'm fine with that. However, a head shell? No, it doesn't affect tone!!"
It's your lucky day

Peli 1745 Air https://www.peli.com/eu/en/product/cases/long-case/air/1745

pelican-guitar-case-1745-air-stratocaster.jpg

**** you right. I thought there's nothing heavier than a PRS case.

At least it has wheels
Wheels are good. I was thinking maybe a great case could be well under ten pounds. F'rinstance, what if there was a woven, but tough and hard nano-tech material that could be lined with a lightweight, padded (perhaps with a thin, closed-cell foam), moisture-proof lining? And what if it conformed closely to the shape of the guitar? It probably could come in under 8 pounds. That'd be great!

Last edited:
Back