The "I can't live without it/them" piece(s) of gear.

Easy, it'e Xotic EP Booster. I was using one since they came out. Every time I'm thinking to drop it its finding its way back on my pedalboard.

Alternatively - my tuner. I'm not really brand loyal but I have Sonic Research ST-300 mini right now.

I have few other solid choices gear wise such as Kingtone Octaland Mini for all octafuzz needs or either Boss DM2 or DM3 (to me they sound the same) but I can live without them.

I need to retract this.

One single piece of gear right now I would really had to recover from lost would be Chase Tone Secret Preamp. This thing is always on and makes everything better

I need to retract this.

One single piece of gear right now I would really had to recover from lost would be Chase Tone Secret Preamp. This thing is always on and makes everything better

I have an indispensable always-on preamp that's the first pedal in my signal chain (it's not an EP-3 type circuit, though those are great, too), version 1 of the Pettyjohn Lift. I call it my 'tonerizer'. The buffer and preamp are always on. It also has a boost that can be switched in as needed, and an effective EQ that can be switched to be on for boost-only, or on all the time. I leave the EQ on to shape the basic tone, mostly to cut extreme lows in the 'mud' frequencies, but there are times I want to add a subtle sparkle.

I need my Persian rug more, of course, but I like preamp pedals a lot! :p

I have an indispensable always-on preamp that's the first pedal in my signal chain (it's not an EP-3 type circuit, though those are great, too), version 1 of the Pettyjohn Lift. I call it my 'tonerizer'. The buffer and preamp are always on. It also has a boost that can be switched in as needed, and an effective EQ that can be switched to be on for boost-only, or on all the time. I leave the EQ on to shape the basic tone, mostly to cut extreme lows in the 'mud' frequencies, but there are times I want to add a subtle sparkle.

I need my Persian rug more, of course, but I like preamp pedals a lot! :p

Pettyjohn Lift... I never heard of it. It looks like something that would work with my rig. I generally don't use overdrives (at least not as intended) but I like all sort of "tone enhancers". My usual drive is amp drive pushed with SPre always on and EP booster on front pushing it all into more overdrive. I actually just got another SPre from Kyle at Chase Tone to see if I will be finally able to ditch EP booster. The way I have EP set is vintage settings on dip switches and Boost knob half way. The level of signal is equal to one I have from Secret Preamp so in theory that may work...

But I will surly try Pettyjohn Lift. I like the EQ section it has. Can I cut frequencies as much as boost them?

After considering pedals or amps I'm going to say my Boss GT-1. I can dial in any tone I need. I can plug into an amp, FRFR Speaker, small portable speaker, headphones or DAW. It fits in my gig bag and I can always take it with me anywhere when I don't want to carry a full pedalboard. Definitely my desert island piece of gear.

Pettyjohn Lift... I never heard of it. It looks like something that would work with my rig. I generally don't use overdrives (at least not as intended) but I like all sort of "tone enhancers". My usual drive is amp drive pushed with SPre always on and EP booster on front pushing it all into more overdrive. I actually just got another SPre from Kyle at Chase Tone to see if I will be finally able to ditch EP booster. The way I have EP set is vintage settings on dip switches and Boost knob half way. The level of signal is equal to one I have from Secret Preamp so in theory that may work...

But I will surly try Pettyjohn Lift. I like the EQ section it has. Can I cut frequencies as much as boost them?

They're kind of esoteric; they may be a little tough to find, because Pettyjohn's now making only limited-run super high end pedals, and will be doing studio gear. I've seen a couple of the version 1 pedals like the one I have for sale new online at rather exorbitant prices! :eek:

The pedal has a bass cut and a high cut. The EQ doesn't boost, you can switch the high and low cuts for boost-only, or all the time. I also have Pettyjohn's Filter pedal, that is a traditional EQ with cut and boost, and selectable turnover frequencies.

Here's a good explanation and demo of the pedal. Linda Taylor does a great job explaining its operation, and, bonus, she plays a wicked guitar as well.

For me, the pedal is a perfect way to start my pedal chain. But we're all different, and different things are going to work for each one of us!

Last edited:
They're kind of esoteric; they may be a little tough to find, because Pettyjohn's now making only limited-run super high end pedals, and will be doing studio gear. I've seen a couple of the version 1 pedals like the one I have for sale new online at rather exorbitant prices! :eek:

The pedal has a bass cut and a high cut. The EQ doesn't boost, you can switch the high and low cuts for boost-only, or all the time. I also have Pettyjohn's Filter pedal, that is a traditional EQ with cut and boost, and selectable turnover frequencies.

Here's a good explanation and demo of the pedal. Linda Taylor does a great job explaining its operation, and, bonus, she plays a wicked guitar as well.

For me, the pedal is a perfect way to start my pedal chain. But we're all different, and different things are going to work for each one of us!

Cheers for the demo. I was going to YT it later after work.

I'm actually using Secret Pre at the end of the chain. Still getting the front of the chain buffered - currently with small Suhr buffer powered with 18v. I have tried few buffers and I found Suhr to be the most transparent, one that is not squashing lows at all. I actually waiting for 29 Pedals Euna, had it on order for few months as since John Mayer started using them they are just hard to get. It will come on Monday, same day as my second Secret Preamp and I hope I wont like it as I just have no space for it. I really want to stick to Pedaltrain Metro 24 footprint.

Hmmmm, Good read!!! For me it'd have to be my Fender medium 358 picks. I've been using them since 1985. Everything feels clunky and too big.
I thought I was one of the only people using those! I was tipped off to them by a great Texas player named Clayton Trent back in the 70s, been using them since. I’ve used a lot of others, and do like the Dunlop Jazz picks, but always come back to the medium 358. Such a great pick.

I need to retract this.

I bought one after seeing G.E. Smith using it at the end of his pedalboard. The man gets a great sound and, like you, never turned it off. It does add that something to the sound, and it’s nice that all of the EPlex circuits are available. Good choice, although the EP Boost is also a great one.

Kemper_PROFILER_Stage_07.jpg

I bought one after seeing G.E. Smith using it at the end of his pedalboard. The man gets a great sound and, like you, never turned it off. It does add that something to the sound, and it’s nice that all of the EPlex circuits are available. Good choice, although the EP Boost is also a great one.

Secret Preamp does wonders to the signal, isn't it. Both clean and overdriven. I hate using words like makes the tone sweeter but... there is no other way to put this. I never believed in always on pedals and Secret Preamp is the first one. EP is different, I would never keep it as always on. To me it'm made to nuke already dirty amp. As much as both of them share the the same pedigree it's hard to put them to the same bucket. I'm really excited to see how two Secret Preamps works together, though

Cheers for the demo. I was going to YT it later after work.

I'm actually using Secret Pre at the end of the chain. Still getting the front of the chain buffered - currently with small Suhr buffer powered with 18v. I have tried few buffers and I found Suhr to be the most transparent, one that is not squashing lows at all.

I have the Suhr buffer, too, and it's great! I use it at the end of the pedalboard when I run a longer-than-usual cable to the amps. Excellent piece of gear, and like all Suhr stuff, it's beautifully made.

I have the Suhr buffer, too, and it's great! I use it at the end of the pedalboard when I run a longer-than-usual cable to the amps. Excellent piece of gear, and like all Suhr stuff, it's beautifully made.

I'm actually thinking to get another one and use it at the very end of my chain to split signal into two for wet/dry. It's a perfect tool for that as it has phase flip switch.

I'm in the process of collecting bits and pieces for my new pedalboard and once I start the built I can document it on the forum. Its gonna be small board comparing to my last year build on Novo 24 with midi and $hit but in a way more complex.

My Fractal AxeFX Mark II has changed the way I record. I used to be endorsed by Fractal when I found I could use it for sound design in post-production.
And my ADAM S3A studio monitors. Can listen for hours without fatigue and my mixes translate well to the real world.

I'm actually thinking to get another one and use it at the very end of my chain to split signal into two for wet/dry. It's a perfect tool for that as it has phase flip switch.

I'm in the process of collecting bits and pieces for my new pedalboard and once I start the built I can document it on the forum. Its gonna be small board comparing to my last year build on Novo 24 with midi and $hit but in a way more complex.

I find that the Suhr buffer works well immediately following the output of a Tube Tape Echo as well. The TTE needs one or it loses high end pretty quickly for some reason.

I find that the Suhr buffer works well immediately following the output of a Tube Tape Echo as well. The TTE needs one or it loses high end pretty quickly for some reason.

I bought one for sort of same reason. I wanted Roland RE-201 badly but I read it has rather unique input impedance and people often using buffers with it. I went different route in the end with Volante and started using Suhr to buffer the front end of my pedal chain. I tried others too, I liked CAE buffer but JHS LBB was messing in the low end.

A Fromel Shape EQ. Bass and treble cut/boost with a sweepable (semi-parametric) mid cut or boost. Absolutely essential. Upper right corner in the pic:

20200329-104813.jpg

Dunlop Flow picks have been a game changer for me. Loved Jazz III's and used them forever but the size was never ideal. These are normal pick size with a jazz-like point. Great for fast edge picking.

24549150006.MAIN__37993.1577750001.jpg

My tube pre amp / bost / distortion pedals . One for each rig . The original is a Radial Tonebone Trimode with a 12Ax7,
the new semi hollow rig uses a Fender MTG Tube distortion . Both have good tone shaping and 2 boost levels .

Back