The hills are alive with the sound of….

I put the angry emoji because it’s true. No matter what genre, how posh the venue, someone screams Freebird. Having several advanced degrees in sarcasm and applied smarta$$ery, we played it…well. Almost every wedding saw this song whipped out as the last song of the evening. There’s something about wearing formal attire and doing the solo battle.

My favorite Freebird incident was when I saw Opeth. Someone yelled it out, and Mikael stopped and said, "What? What's 'Freebird'?" Got some laughs from the crowd, and he said, "No, seriously, what's 'Freebird'?" It got a little uncomfortably quiet, and the guy who yelled it started explaining, and after about 10 seconds, Mikael said, "Dude, I know what 'Freebird' is. We're Swedish, not stupid. But wouldn't you just sh!t yourself if we played it now?"

I put the angry emoji because it’s true. No matter what genre, how posh the venue, someone screams Freebird. Having several advanced degrees in sarcasm and applied smarta$$ery, we played it…well. Almost every wedding saw this song whipped out as the last song of the evening. There’s something about wearing formal attire and doing the solo battle.

I'm not sure what the issue is, between Free Bird and jamming on Moondance you can get through your first and last set with just 2 songs. Use La Grange for your middle set and you can complete any gig with 3 songs.

I put the angry emoji because it’s true. No matter what genre, how posh the venue, someone screams Freebird.
It truly did become "a thing." Can't tell you how many times, or at how many different types of musical events, I've heard it. Heck, I've heard it yelled at a Dream Theater concert AND a Megadeth concert.

When I heard it at the Dream Theater concert, John laughed out loud into the mic, and even Mr. Quite Myung even cracked up. JP stepped up to the mic and said "welcome the to the requests part of our show. What would you like to hear?" After the laughter, the "Metropolis" chants started.
Mustaine cracked up big time when he heard it. Then he started chugging it real fast and the crowd went wild. Then he stopped and said "where's my slide? Has anyone seen my slide?" to more cheers and laughter.

So don't be too dismayed. Even the big timers hear it at times and thank goodness, many have a sense of humor about it.

Last edited:
Haha!

My granddaughter Omi (her nickname but literally the name she goes by) who just turned 10, is playing the role of Brigitta in a professional (Actors Equity) theater remake in Chicago.

She's a talented child. I'm in awe of her.

The on topic question is...have you briefed Omi on what to do if someone shouts "Freebird!" during her show?

1988 I went to see Gallagher with a buddy and his wife. At a quiet moment of the show my buddy yells out FREEBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gallagher stops, looks up, and says, "you have to appreciate a guy who is quick enough to say what he wants, but slow enough to get tickets in the last row." The crowd roared, my buddy turned red. However, Gallagher was wrong.....we were in the 2nd to last row!

Last edited:
The on topic question is...have you briefed Omi on what to do if someone shouts "Freebird!" during her show?
Omi won't have to do a thing. My daughter's angry looks are like Tasers. Oh yes, I've been on the receiving end. And it doesn't take much. For example:

"Your dog keeps stealing my napkin."

Tasers. "He has a name." ZZZappp

This is my daughter. Under no circumstances do you want to be zapped by these eyeballs when she’s pissed off!

Last edited:
One of the worst, most repulsive, irritating songs ever written!!!

Well Helmi...your statement could be questioned...by many, I think??!! (IMHO, of course)
I absolutely love Freebird, but I think one of the biggest factors that makes people have similar feelings about this song, or any "hit/popular" song like this for that matter, is the amount of airplay it gets. (...Or you really just don't like the song, which is cool, too )
I love when radio stations do 2-fers, and DON'T play the 2 biggest hits from a band. I love Rush, but have honestly heard Tom Sawyer and Closer to the Heart more times than I can count. (Great songs, mind you, but I've got other Rush songs I'd much rather hear.)
(Disclaimer, neither of those are repulsive or irritating, to me, anyway. :p;))
In the olden days, at my family's restaurant, Renegade (Styx) was on the jukebox, and it was played damn near hourly.
I had Pieces of Eight (the album/cassette/8-track with Renegade) and got to the point where I would skip over the song.
(Of course, I never complain when wearing the black and yellow;))
Other songs like this might include:
Stairway to Heaven
You Shook Me
We Will Rock You (And I love Queen bigtime)

Well Helmi...your statement could be questioned...by many, I think??!! (IMHO, of course) . (...Or you really just don't like the song, which is cool, too )
Yes, I understand that I am in the minority as far as this goes, but, I have NEVER liked the song, and I NEVER will. At 60, I have been in many situations over the years where this piece of music, for lack of a more vulgar term, has come on where I could not escape, and was forced to be tortured by it. It is the most boring, redundant, never ending, rock star posing piece of trash I have ever heard. and just to prove to you I’m not just picking on just this song, I feel the same way about basically all of Skynyrd’s stuff. does that make it better? LOL. But, to each his own, and onward we go!

Back