The High Place Phenomenon

Ok, so this seals it, for me......DO NOT SELL IT TO HIM. I'm pretty sure we've talked about this in the past. That guitar should not be purple sparkle, even though purple sparkle is rad! Plus, other than the Westie, that axe is YOU!

Yeah, that’s the one. It’d be hard to let go, and I’m afraid if I do then there will be a domino effect.

I totally get you, bud. This is also why I’m simply no help. With what you’ve stated, I’d recommend hiring a carpenter and adjust your guitar door to only open inward. Personally, well, hell...you know where I stand. I’m a heretic around here. And I’m solidly north of a dozen.

A buddy of mine is workin’ hard at tempting me to sell him one of my guitars. I’ve set unreasonable, or at least uncomfortable (for him) terms for what it’d actually take for me to consider letting it go, and week by week he gets closer to acquiescence (or is it me that gets closer?)

Now the thing is, it’s not my most valuable guitar, and it’s (debatably) redundant, but I do love it as it was kind of a “cornerstone” purchase, and just the thought of letting one go is starting to seriously f@ck with my psyche.

You know that feeling some people get when standing on a high building, and it’s not like they wanna die but... something deep inside pulls at them and they have to fight the urge to jump? It’s called the High Places Phenomenon, and I’m feeling whatever the guitar equivalent to that is. For sure it’s GAS but... it’s a different strain of it.

I have a couple guitars that’ll never leave my home (cough, White Westie) but.... there’s seventeen of ‘em and if one goes... Then I’m afraid I don’t have the willpower to keep others from following suit. My pile of guitars is nothing more than a house of cards!

So why’d I bring this up? I need y’all to remind me of my credo, and keep me on the straight-and-narrow.

.... because.... well, you see... there’s this other guitar.... like, a legit fantasy guitar that could actually happen if I were able to let a bunch go.

Help me.

17?!!! 17 is waaaaaayyyyyy too many. You obviously need therapy. I say sell, sell, sell!

Solution: Invite the guy to join the forum. After reading several years of your "always buy, never sell" posts, he'll realize the damage that would occur to your reputation if you actually SOLD a guitar. He'd see your status here, and know what was at stake.

Then, you could quietly lease the guitar to him with an option to buy, which would of course be finalized after everyone here has forgotten about this. No one's the wiser, problem solved! ;)

Based on the tone of your post, I'd definitely keep them. I'm a guy who buys and sells most of the stuff I buy. I actually don't have an original left, and I regret some that I've let go. The oldest one I have is a Gibson ES-335 and I was talked out of selling that one thank god.

Thanks for the support guys! (Except @11top ‘s wife)

I had never thought of selling it before, and I keep making outlandish demands to him because of that, but he keeps getting closer and closer to meeting them that that’s why I’m almost entertaining it.

I feel like I’m at that crossroads of either being (realistically) kinda GAS free, or going down the “fantasy” guitar rabbit hole.

Most of me is “quit while you’re ahead” but, there’s that tiny bit of my brain that’s all like: “YOLO”.

Know what I’m sayin’?

If you really believe the next guy will love it and play it more than you do, I'd say let it go...
If you think he'll get bored with it soon, keep it...
But who am I to talk... I got rid of more than 10 guitars over the last 2 years and I am down to 4 (which will stay) and one unfinished project...
One was gifted to a friend because he really loved it! A Levinson Blade Strat which remained unplayed next to my Japan Strat because that one was given to me by a dear family member and it plays great...
Guitars are meant to make you happy. Either owning them or moving them to their next caretaker.
My 2p and all that....

What is this "gas free" thing that you speak of? Is that really a thing? Is it really possible?

I guess if I had a DW CE (need that Floyd and maple) and my proposed 2020 model HSS CE from the other thread, I'd be pretty much gas free, guitar wise. Still have a few amps I want to try and maybe a better FRFR for the modelers...

Back