The High Place Phenomenon

sergiodeblanc

A buddy of mine is workin’ hard at tempting me to sell him one of my guitars. I’ve set unreasonable, or at least uncomfortable (for him) terms for what it’d actually take for me to consider letting it go, and week by week he gets closer to acquiescence (or is it me that gets closer?)

Now the thing is, it’s not my most valuable guitar, and it’s (debatably) redundant, but I do love it as it was kind of a “cornerstone” purchase, and just the thought of letting one go is starting to seriously f@ck with my psyche.

You know that feeling some people get when standing on a high building, and it’s not like they wanna die but... something deep inside pulls at them and they have to fight the urge to jump? It’s called the High Places Phenomenon, and I’m feeling whatever the guitar equivalent to that is. For sure it’s GAS but... it’s a different strain of it.

I have a couple guitars that’ll never leave my home (cough, White Westie) but.... there’s seventeen of ‘em and if one goes... Then I’m afraid I don’t have the willpower to keep others from following suit. My pile of guitars is nothing more than a house of cards!

So why’d I bring this up? I need y’all to remind me of my credo, and keep me on the straight-and-narrow.

.... because.... well, you see... there’s this other guitar.... like, a legit fantasy guitar that could actually happen if I were able to let a bunch go.

Help me.

I ended up selling my DW CE24 and Reclaimed Vela to help finance my legit fantasy wood library 594 and I don’t regret it at all.

For me that decision was an instantaneous gut decision, as soon as I saw that 594 I knew I’d move whatever I had to to get it because it was “the fantasy guitar” for me. So if your gut says you don’t want, but need that fantasy guitar, than start thinning the heard and make it happen!

Think how much this practically ignored guitar of yours means to your buddy! It sounds like he'll build a shrine for it.

If you get hit by a bus tomorrow, you could at least die knowing that you made your buddy happy (hopefully not due to your death). And if there happens to be a Saint Peter guarding the pearly gates, this sale might be the thing that puts you over the top. Just sayin'...

Fantasy guitar??? Hmmmm - that's always intriguing. However, moving a cornerstone piece is difficult. I have moved on several PRS' that fit that criteria...it's never easy, but I have recovered from it and with minimal regret. If your collection is a house of cards, and it only takes moving one to cause a domino effect, are you that attached (well, except White Westie, of course)?

Is the fantasy guitar a proven must-have that fills the empty hole in one's heart that occurs after moving significant instruments?? Or is it yet unproven??

Move the guitars that would be sold for the fantasy guitar out of sight for a week or two (best if off-site). See how you feel without them for a quick gut check.

In the past I merely sold or traded the guitars and acquired the fantasy guitar. Not the case today though. I should sell some but I hate selling!

If the guitar means that much to you, just tells the guy you're hanging onto it for sentimental reasons, and not just brushing him off.

Some folks don't take the usual "brush off" well, and they need to firmly be told, "Thanks for your interest, the guitar is not for sale."

If the guy bugs you for it, remind him you're a guy who doesn't want the usual runaround from folks. If the guy really wants the guitar, he'll step up and provide a reasonable offer that is well above your expectations. If not, don't sell yourself short or cave to his requests. "No" means "no."

I know if I even consider selling a guitar that it’s future with me is hugely tenuous, almost like I internally release my hold on it and start it on its inevitable path to the fedex office.

It is also very liberating to move the non-keepers as this allows for future purchases of replacements, or in your case the grail you sound like you have your eye on.

My vote is to move the filler and put your fantasy guitar in its rightful place next to the white Westy.

Maybe it's time to step back for a minute and reevaluate your inventory. As ranchers sometimes do, you may be in a position to cull the herd. See what has value, purpose, etc., and use that, not only to fund the ever constant pull of GAS, but also to make your platoon of PRS the lean, mean, fighting machine that we all know it can be................ BE ALL YOU CAN BE!!!

shytOdj.gif

Dude, I feel you. Here's the thing, selling one at a time is a b!tch, cuz you actually have to work at it. You know this. You went through it with me. I don't think you need to worry about just selling them off because you can. You're at a point were you look at your stash and start thinking what you could do without in order to add something else that you're lusting after. Nothing wrong with that.

Right now, I'm back up to 14. I can say with ease that there are 6 I could sell without blinking if it got me something I really desire. Then there are 2 sets of guitars that are so similar I could talk myself into selling one of each, but it would really hurt because those 4 are among my favorites. There is one other that I am "holding" for a friend ;). Which leaves 5 that I don't intend to sell.

Also, are you comfortable enough with your buddy to know that it's going to a good place, and won't get moved for something else?

As for High Place Phenomenon, I can attest that it is a real thing. I am not fond of heights (unless I'm behind glass, like the Sear Tower observation deck, or in a plane), and avoid edges whenever possible. When I was going to Massage Therapy my therapist was on the 4th floor of a building with an atrium. I had to get off the elevator and walk along the wall because I really wanted to get close to that railing and peer over. It freaked me out! Only time anything like that has ever happened.

If you are selling to someone where the guitar will be permanently out of your sight it would be easier to break the emotional attachment. Selling to a buddy, where it will be around, will be like breaking up with an old girl friend and having her with your buddy ... only you wouldn't sell your girlfriend (I'm guessing).

If you are selling to someone where the guitar will be permanently out of your sight it would be easier to break the emotional attachment. Selling to a buddy, where it will be around, will be like breaking up with an old girl friend and having her with your buddy ... only you wouldn't sell your girlfriend (I'm guessing).

I’m actually friends with most of my ex-girlfriends, and am happy seeing them with people better than me.

I suspect this guitar would be the same way eventually... especially since he wants to get it refinished and do something awesome with it.

But yo, real talk: I was done with those girlfriends... this guitar, not so much. Plus, you don’t gotta be a Mormon to have a bunch of guitars.

I’m actually friends with most of my ex-girlfriends, and am happy seeing them with people better than me.

I suspect this guitar would be the same way eventually... especially since he wants to get it refinished and do something awesome with it.

But yo, real talk: I was done with those girlfriends... this guitar, not so much. Plus, you don’t gotta be a Mormon to have a bunch of guitars.

Ok, so this seals it, for me......DO NOT SELL IT TO HIM. I'm pretty sure we've talked about this in the past. That guitar should not be purple sparkle, even though purple sparkle is rad! Plus, other than the Westie, that axe is YOU!

Back