The Herf

Any of you have a preference or have you even tried [a box-pressed cigar]?

I concern myself very little with the physical characteristics of a cigar. If it has a great aroma and flavour with big smoke, I'm happy.

That said, this photo (credit to Cigar Affection) is always fun to study:

Cigar_Sizes_Shapes_Colours_High_Res.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic, thanks for that. I would love to try that Culebra!

When Davidoff came out with theirs, I worked part time in a cigar store. We enjoyed them. They weren't big sellers, interestingly enough. But, like my description of box pressed smokes, they were expertly rolled! They actually surprised several of us with their even burn and nice draw.

As for shapes and such, I like Pyramids and Belicosos a lot. When I get a chance, I'll grab a few. But, for every day smokes, I tend to go with coronas/brevas. My preferred size and shapes are Lonsdales, Toros, Corona Gordas, etc. I like a 46 ring gauge the best, I think... And, around 6" or more. I am not a fan of Robustos and shorter stuff or anything over a 50 ring gauge. Monte #3's, RyJ Exhibicion #3 , Punch Punch, are my regular treats.

I smoke one a day or so, and usually grab some cheap-o Quintero Y Hermano's Brevas... But, when I treat myself, I try to go for the bigger smokes.

When I was at Purdue, a millennia ago, every Friday was ‘Hat -n- Cigar Day’ in the marching band. I know, I know...the marching band is a bunch of pansies tap dancing around an otherwise manly football field, making noise and keeping the game from starting. But this was a really big, special, and talented group that was obviously cool enough to peer pressure us into seeking out the biggest, knarliest stogies you could find in the area. The obvious location was the union. Yep! The 80s did still have a little cool going on...except the upper class men emptied that place of the gran Coronas (the emphasis was on big). Had to take to the back roads of rural indiana and buy whatever was available from the gas stations. In retrospect, it was wonderful and horrible at the same time! Then we lit them up at Friday’s practice, donned our hats and polished our routine. Ah, to be young with 100% lung capacity and no regard for asthma. Today, I mostly watch, drink the scotch, and enjoy the smells from a slight distance. The last time I had a fantastic cigar was with Ang, iahawk, and many of my guitar buddies and it ended with a migraine. So I embrace my weenie-dom and let you guys have the fun.

I know, I know...the marching band is a bunch of pansies tap dancing around an otherwise manly football field, making noise and keeping the game from starting.

The cheerleaders and color-guard rode to and from the away-games in the bus with the band.

Oh, how I loved the away-games.

Back