The Herf

There are cigars that rate well but *really* leave me wanting - like the smelly-ass stick shown above. That Fuente Don Carlos ‘Eye of the Shark’ won Cigar of the Year (2018) from Cigar Aficionado with 97 points but I’ll be damned if it didn’t smell like a sun-dried cow turd. Some guys love that ‘barnyard’ thing in their cigars but I am not one of them.

This Limited Edition San Cristobal Ovation Decadence Toro, however, is like that crushing par-4 t-shot that rolls right onto the green. You’ll play 10 worthless rounds to experience that sensation again. This is the kind of cigar that makes the special-occasion-cigar-smoker go humidor shopping.

I dunno, maybe the Eye of the Shark needed more time to mellow. I have 3 more so I’ll give them a year and try again. This cigar, however, tastes great, smells great, burns even, and has a thick, oily smoke that lets everyone in the room know I’m burning-down an ultra-premium stogie.

As you can see, I’ve already saved the band. Only gripe is that it will not hold an ash. I gave up on the final 3rd because I got tired of relighting it (and ran out of matches).

Life is good, boys.

IMG_0541-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished a nice Quintero y Hernano, Nacional. Enjoyed sitting outside, in the sun, while recovering from knee surgery...

Right now the humidor has the QyH's and some San Cristobal, El Principes... Need to order some bigger smokes, though.

A quick trip through Denver and a stogie from a thoughtful colleague. This one is sweet on the wrapper with a thick, oily, smoke. Cigars like this are a new experience for me.

This is a Deadwood Cigars Fat Bottom Betty. In the Colorado spirit, I’ve paired it with Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey (neat).

IMG_1492-XL.jpg

A quick trip through Denver and a stogie from a thoughtful colleague. This one is sweet on the wrapper with a thick, oily, smoke. Cigars like this are a new experience for me.

This is a Deadwood Cigars Fat Bottom Betty. In the Colorado spirit, I’ve paired it with Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey (neat).

IMG_1492-XL.jpg

Big fan of the Breckinridge Bourbon. Great stuff.

Sorry so late to the party...I heard one of my favorite songs this morning, and thought of this thread...Check out Brad Paisley's "Cigar Song" if you get a chance...
Not a cigar smoker here...but I am REALLY becoming a beer snob (if that even counts??)!!!!
I love seeing the humidors, though...neat construction, and WOOD, and who doesn't love wood????

Last night’s Nat Sherman Metropolitan Maduro (shown below) was a real disappointment. Big smoke but the aroma and flavor was harsh without much character.

I’ll have to burn-down something special, tonight, to make up for it.

EDC0F51E-844B-4421-9B1B-3B0105D9FD71-X3.jpg

Behold the Partagas Salomones, a fat fuggin figurado available exclusively from La Casa Del Habanos. It is so nicely rolled I could hardly bring myself to set it ablaze. I powered through the guilt.

20% into this stick and the burn is flawless, the draw is flawless, and the flavor is thoroughbred Cuban. This is the kind of cigar that reminds me why I love cigars.

This Salomones was one of two in the humidor and it is safe to say, the other one will have to wait for a special occasion. Life is good.

27CCDE2B-7554-43A6-8263-F74438D0AAC6-X4.jpg

Back