]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
If you don't have a 'harem' thread of your own, clean off the couch and break-out the camera. It's good for you and it's good for those of us who love looking at guitars. Based on discussions with my insurance provider - and with PfennRock (AKA "11top") - maintaining clear photos with date/time stamps on a server you don't control is a great way to help establish proof of ownership should there be any shenanigans after a loss.

Without further ado...

1986 "PRS Guitar" in Magenta Pearl
Serial Number: 6_1125

My friend and fellow forum member (@Russ ) once gave me a copy of Guitar Trader from 1983. I was floored by the price of vintage guitars; like '59 bursts selling for a paltry $7,500-$10,000. That got me thinking about buying a guitar that was relatively affordable 'today' but likely to appreciate and giving it to my daughter. Around that time, I heard a story about Howard Leese buying a Bonni Pink PRS guitar for his daughter (also named Bonni) and tossing it under a bed until she was grown and old enough to appreciate it. I decided to do it as well.

A short time later, a friend of mine put this beauty on the block. 100% original. I grabbed it and gave it to my daughter on her 1st birthday (this was photo taken in 2008).

i-pB8tvTV-X4.jpg

Interesting side notes: This is the Magenta Pearl guitar that was used in Dave Burluck's PRS book (page 43 of updated version). Paul told me the color was created to match a color his wife (at the time) painted her fingernails. Gotta love the 80's.

i-8J8gCZT-X4.jpg

i-Xkr6GPt-X4.jpg

i-X9LnHkD-X4.jpg

i-6Tw4gvq-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1986 'Custom' with optional birds
Serial Number: 6_1350

Here is Ms. Crawford; a name derived from the Cindy-esque beauty mark on the lower-horn. She is, in my estimation, a text-book example of the guitar that put PRS on the map.

Very early "10" top (bridge pickup cavity). Optional bird inlay. Stamped T & B pickups. Deely Star (neck pickup cavity). Vintage Yellow. Dark Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. Blue-lined case. This guitar has it all and is 100% original.

i-JjmJXG4-X4.jpg

i-CxNjVQt-X4.jpg

i-qWBmQ8F-X4.jpg

i-2MW2Phd.jpg

i-bfMWKnG-X4.jpg

i-5TcTfBr-X4.jpg

i-r35m55B-X4.jpg

i-BBMZSHS-X4.jpg

i-2J2jZQP-X4.jpg

i-6d67bCt-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1987 PRS "Standard" with Birds (Fire Red)
Serial Number: 7_3858

Ask any guitar player and he/she will tell you about the guitar they should never have sold. Such is the case with this beauty. I originally bought it from George (@Dancing Frog ) who -- if I remember correctly -- bought it new from Brian Meader when he was with Chuck Levins Washington Music Center. Anyway, I sold it, regretted it, and bought it back. I believe it changed hands while it was away but came home in wonderful condition.

While the Vintage Yellow '86 (above) is the 'look' that defined the PRS brand, it is my opinion that this is the guitar that defines the early PRS 'sound'. It features a mahogany body and neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, standard neck carve, and 2nd generation "T" pup (with slugs in the B and high-E position). It's got a cool vintage vibe now that the finish has sunken into the wood grain. This particular guitar just slays through a Plexi circuit.

One day I hope to find an unmolested '85 or '86 in Fire Red (with birds). Until that day...

i-vrsFb5r-X4.jpg

i-sJFmZ4L-X4.jpg

i-KGtRMk4-X4.jpg

i-j4DfbqW-X4.jpg

i-wTZqwVw-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1988 Signature #217
Serial Number: 8_4392

While I believe the Vintage Yellow '86 (shown a few posts back) is a sufficient representative of the early PRS guitar, the Signature PRS model is a hard requirement for any PRS collection. While numerous Sigs had duplicate numbers (I've personally owned at least 2), I have yet to run across another one with #217. Fingers crossed!

This particular Sig is super clean. It was thankfully spared the wide/thin neck carve that was first offered in 1988 and has no modifications whatsoever. It also has the license-plate case (which is a first for me). There are no signs of fading so this one has certainly spent its life hidden away.

As you may know, Vintage Yellow is a quirky color that varies from guitar to guitar. I find this one to be a slightly darker hue than usual. It's almost Amber or even Santana Yellow. I pulled the bridge pickup to be sure it was actually VY. I got a nice surprise in the process. This Sig has a 2nd generation stamped T pickup; which I prefer (tonally) to the first-generation T-pickup. I would have expected a blank-back treble pickup this late in the 80's.

By the way, if anyone knows which builder was responsible for the asterisk-shaped star in the neck pocket of early guitars, shoot me a note. I could make an educated guess but would rather be certain.

i-RnJN6zf.jpg

i-XK5XJq9-X4.jpg

i-j3hjkWh.jpg

i-mc2pgsP-X4.jpg

i-3tp3tGc-X4.jpg

i-CZWNpMB.jpg

i-DGkxrkS.jpg

i-2tV55SS.jpg

Last edited:
1990 Limited Edition #119/300'ish
Serial Number: 0_8099

I once owned Limited Edition (LE) #300/300 (SN 0_9987). Shortly after sharing it on Birds and Moons, I was contacted via PM by the fellow who owned the 'other' #300/300 (1_10,779). He was a sales guy at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center when he had the guitar custom made. Getting LE #300 of 300 was part of his request so he was (understandably) pissed to learn there was a duplicate. So was I. There was only one thing to do... sell him my LE so he could have the matched set, shown here.

There is a silver-lining here. I believe these guitars are worth much more as a matched set. Fortunately, their current owner agrees.

Moving forward... The PRS LE was my favorite model for a decade. Before #300/300 went to live with its new owner, I bought the one shown below to replace it.

Most PRS guys already know this but the LE (often called "Sig Limited" due to the signed headstock) was the first truly limited edition PRS. The original Signature series was never intended to be limited. PRS just stopped making them when they hit 1000'ish. Too many guitars were sitting around waiting for Paul (who was on the road busting his ass to grow the business) to sign them so they stopped the Signature line.

All Limited Editions were semi-hollow. Almost all of them had a 2-piece stoptail bridge (another first for PRS). A few LE's (like 'the other 300/300') had a tremolo. Some LE's had figured cedar tops. Some had figured redwood tops. Some, like this one, had maple tops. They all have Brazilian Rosewood fretboards. But what makes these guitars truly special, in my opinion, is the Vintage Bass Limited Edition pickups that are found in both the bridge and treble position. They sound awesome. These are killer guitars but you don't hear much about them because most people get one and immediately hide it under the bed.

Every once in a while you'll see a guitar that was supposed to be an LE but got kicked down the line because it wasn't up to the aesthetic standard. These are almost always redwood. I've seen a few that still had the VBLE pickups in them. If you ever find one, pull out the pickups and see if you hit the jackpot.

My LE (#119/300) has a standard neck carve and a Vintage Sunburst finish. To my knowledge, this number is not a duplicate. This is the PRS era I like most when it comes to burst finishes. Look how smooth and gradual that fade is.

i-6P8jcSc-X4.jpg

i-qLwzCg4-X4.jpg

i-4pSdshd-X4.jpg

i-h3MTvhM-X4.jpg

i-BnDXjBz-X4.jpg

i-SQXsxgc-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1993 PRS EG-3 (Gold Hardware)
Serial Number: 353149

This EG-3 is Pearl White with factory gold hardware. I geek-out every time I look at those Fralin Domino pickups. They look as good as they sound.

Construction was started in 1993 and completed (according to the inscription on the neck) in October of 1994. Therefore, it has a 1993 serial number but a 2-piece tremolo bridge; which we would expect from guitars made in 1994 and later. It features a slightly flamed maple neck, rosewood fretboard with dot-inlays, and pearloid pick guard with matching trem-spring cover.

To my knowledge, there are only two of these in existence.

i-MQzPrvS-X4.jpg

i-sfDLDh7-X4.jpg

i-Jx3tDCR-X4.jpg

i-D4FLLgW-X4.jpg

i-nznnsgB-X4.jpg

i-hZVrmKP-X4.jpg

i-zMbpsFj-X4.jpg

i-5Xhk8Sd-X4.jpg

i-zzpvT5g-X5.jpg

Last edited:
1994 CE24 "Bud Davis" Metal
Serial Number: 479301

Back in 2009, a Birds and Moons forum member posted an alder CE24 body (no neck or hardware) for sale. It was black with natural (scraped) binding. It was well worn but it was legit and I wanted it.

My original plan was to paint it myself and put it back together using a small pile of genuine PRS parts I had accumulated through the years. I figured this would be a good way to use them. After spending a little time thinking through ideas for a paint job, it dawned on me that my original plan (to do a US flag motif) wouldn't be nearly as cool as a Metal Model pinstripe. Then I got an even better idea... find Bud Davis and ask him to paint it for me.

As most of you know, Bud was well known for creating the original "Metal Model" paint jobs. Metal models were produced in exceptionally low quantities from the pre-factory (Magnificent 6 / NAMM 20) era through as late as 1991, shown below with 'Smooth' integrated into the pinstripe. In case you're wondering, this is one of two metal-models that were custom ordered by the late Robert "Syke Dyke" Reed; from the DC band Trouble Funk. His other metal was Magenta Pearl and featured his name in the pinstripe (shown here).

i-zdjPgmR-S.jpg

Around 2008, Bud was commissioned to paint 10 Private Stock guitars in the original Metal motif. I believe that one of them was remade or refinished so I'm not sure if the count should be 11 or not. Anyway, they are all pretty neat.

It took a while but I found Bud in Elizabethan, Tennessee, and called him. After a little consideration, he agreed to paint the guitar for me. In his words, it was an opportunity to help generate some follow-on business.

With the new plan in place, I plugged the tone-pot hole with wood, drilled it for a sweet switch, sanded the body clean (Shawn says I did a terrible job), and mailed it away. When Bud received the body, he called and told me that I had sanded all the sealant off of the surface and that he needed me to prep it properly before he could work his magic. In a panic, I called the only man who could salvage the project... Shawn Nuthall. Bud shipped the body to the PRS factory where it was properly prepped for Bud's paintwork.

I gave Bud total creative freedom with one request. I wanted him to base it loosely off the black and flamed '86 Metal model that was owned (at the time) by @markie . After Bud was done, he sent the painted body, which I still hadn't seen, back to the factory. At that point, PRS sprayed clear-coat over the custom paint, color-sanded it, and buffed it to a brilliant shine.

It was reassembled with a 1994 CE24 neck (a gift from my friend Mike Hansen), a 1-piece tremolo and 1980-spec gold saddles from @John Mann , and uncovered 1985 repro pickups. Today, it sports a set of \m/ pickups (see photo with covered pickups). The sweet switch is actually a 3-way toggle (McCarty switching) and the push/pull tone pot splits the coils.

So here's my salvaged CE24 with an authentic Bud Davis, factory finished, metal-model paint job. Vintage vibe. Modern ride.

RIP Mr. Davis. You're a legend.

i-v2ZW8V3-XL.jpg

i-Ps8wsxW-X3.jpg

i-cw4s8cG-X4.jpg

i-WK3Fs57-X4.jpg

i-srBQPGc-X4.jpg

i-v3QkgrJ-X4.jpg

i-Rm48MMJ-X4.jpg

i-jW9m5hn-X4.jpg

Here it is with it's inspiration (an original '86 Metal Model in the middle) and another Bud Davis creation made for @markie (on the right).

i-DX7nhRB-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1994 Singlecoil Prototype
Serial Number: None (R&D Proto)

This guitar was originally owned by our own @bodia. After a year or so of pleading, he finally agreed it could come live at my house. This is a true R&D proto (no serial number) that is featured on page 61 of Dave Burrluck's PRS book (the updated version). Fellow anoraks, please take note of the correction to the guitar's creation date. It was incorrectly noted as 1991 in the book.

I am not as quick to call this an EG Proto as others. Perhaps it was but EG's were always bolt-on guitars with swimming-pool routes and scratch plates. If you look at the construction and control layout of this instrument, I'd argue that it's more accurately part of the 305 lineage. The neck-heel shares similarities with the Severn (from the short-lived Chesapeake brand, shown here).

After roughly a week of tweaking the truss rod, adjusting intonation/action, pickup height, lowering bridge screws, digging through parts for the correct trem arm, trying different strings, and finally getting all the stars to align, this guitar was finally dialed-in the way I wanted it. The 'original' PRS forum TRC was swiped from a guitar @JMintzer sold me. It fits this guitar, don't you think?

I have not been able to determine which pickups these are but they are remarkable. Do you know?

The all-mahogany body dressed-out with 10-52NYXL strings give this a guitar a piano-like quality. The neck carve is quite full as well. I'm guessing it's wide/fat. This thing sounds like an S-type guitar but is decidedly more muscular.

i-9N5VDLd-X4.jpg

i-3xkd6Nf-X4.jpg

i-MBc9QXc-X4.jpg

i-bKkB2D6-X4.jpg

i-Hn6nCrz-X4.jpg

i-RTGCzkd-X4.jpg

i-GQh5F47-X4.jpg

i-N6kjMtx-X4.jpg

i-95nx5g4.jpg

i-DG6P3zc.jpg

I added these Mann-Made prototype saddles after taking the photos above. They received one of my usual modifications, of course.

i-NnZ5t2n-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1997 PRS Artist 3 #202
Serial Number: 7_32,729

Not every guitar comes with a lengthy story. Such is the case with this Artist 3. Its a cool guitar. I wanted it. I managed to pry it away from @JMintzer. Its that simple.

Pretty sure he swiped it from @AaeCee. It went to live with @markie for a year or two but it's home now.

This natural beauty was special ordered with a semi-hollow body, quilted maple top, and McCarty-style electronics package. Check-out the rounded corners on the early McCarty pickups.

i-QDkHHnN-X4.jpg

i-PHz3Gcp-X4.jpg

i-Bp2x7nT-X4.jpg

i-mwhGjzp-X4.jpg

i-2XG2cvn-X4.jpg

i-t97FQtS-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1997 EVH Prototype (1 of 2 made)
Serial Number: 7_SA00455

Joe Knaggs told me that he hand-carved this guitar. When it was made (in 1997), Eddie was several years into his relationship with Peavey. While it's clear that he never played this PRS in any public way (so far as my research has uncovered) it illustrates the lengths PRS went through to try and bring him on board. So it may not be a significant part of Eddie's history but it's certainly a part of PRS history. In the end, it could be just another Lanahan Special (that's another story).

This EVH proto has a Swamp Ash body. The other EVH proto, wherever it is, has an Alder body. If it ever hits the market, please let me know. I'd really like to try and reunite the pair.

For the record, I painted the case, the ebony tuner buttons, and replaced the black volume knob with the cream-colored 'Tone' knob. The guitar is cool but it needed some details fixed, IMO. I also had the signature buffed off while it was at the factory. Without some proof that it was signed by Eddie, it had to go. With his recent passing, the opportunity to replace it with a verified signature is gone forever.

RIP Eddie.

Specs:
- 25.5" scale length
- Custom-carved, bolt-on, flame maple neck & fretboard (check out the rounded corners at the 22nd fret)
- 1-piece Swamp Ash Body with deep "Dragon Carve" top that was hand-carved by Joe Knaggs
- Peavey-license FR Tremolo with D-Tuna (left the factory with a Floyd, came back with the Peavey)
- Very unusual (and thick) neck heel
- EVH-style pickup cavity with hard-mounted, custom-wound, McCarty humbucker (8.8k, Alnico II)
- No neck pickup, no tone pot, & no pickup selector switch
- Relocated output jack (moved down a few inches to the bottom of the body)
- 12" fretboard radius

i-xxnJz9t-X4.jpg

i-GKHZBT9-X4.jpg

Here's how it looked before the signatures were removed.

i-vLDGh7J.jpg

i-7qV7x6Q-X4.jpg

i-FSqPWxc-X4.jpg

i-kXRkmp5-X4.jpg

i-sggGrNn-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1997 Rosewood Limited #71/100
Serial Number: 7_33088

The Rosewood Limited (RL) is the result of merging two great ideas; one from Paul Smith and the other from Ms. Bonni Lloyd (of 'Bonni Pink' fame). RL's are easily identified by the Tree of Life inlay (not to be confused with the Tree of Life model introduced in 2011) on a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard.

The RL inlay was designed by Pearl Works and is constructed from mammoth ivory, brown lip mother of pearl, abalone, mother of pearl, paua, coral, and gold. The inlay is etched, adding a tremendous amount of detail to the overall aesthetic.

While admiring the detail on the fretboard, many people fail to flip them over to see one of the things that makes them truly special. They were the 1st production PRS (100 guitars) to feature a solid Indian Rosewood neck. You may also notice that the neck is finished; which is another somewhat unusual feature. Interesting side note... there are a few guitars from this era (like this one) that have McCarty pickups with rounded corners like the old Gibsons.

While the Rosewood Limited is an exceptionally beautiful guitar, the combination of wood, McCarty-thick mahogany body, and flawless construction makes for one of the best sounding guitars to come from the factory in the late-'90's. If you think about it, the Modern Eagle (especially the ME2) can find its roots right here.

Some Rosewood Limited guitars were semi-hollow and a few had a tremolo (but I've only ever seen one).

i-672QVCZ-X4.jpg

i-rH2q5BF-X4.jpg

i-9sws4kc-X4.jpg

i-xdfNbV8-X4.jpg

i-kgdj6Cr-X4.jpg

And one more in natural light.

i-HJdCqnm-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1998 Archtop II (King Louie)
Serial Number: 8_38458

I love this guitar so much. It was first posted by a Birds and Moons member who needed some idea what the guitar was worth. I sure wish I could remember his name. I think it was something like Carlisle or Carmichael. Such a nice guy -- and all he wanted was some help posting his guitar for sale.

I had him email his photos to me and I posted them up in the sale section for $3,500. Now you have to remember, this was in 2007 and desirable PRS guitars (like a quilted, 1st year, Archtop) were selling for big money. After a week or so, he bumped his thread and some classless assh0le started beating him up on price because the case was jacked-up (or something along those lines). Back in the day, there was a simple rule in sale threads... buy it or move on. Crapping on some guy's sale thread was not tolerated but BaM could be ruthless that way. Truth be told, we were all looking for the next deal and a newbie with a guitar for sale was like dumping blood in a swarm of hungry sharks. BTW... I was just as guilty as the next guy and totally accept my share of blame for that.

Heartbreakingly, the seller had just buried his wife and was raising his young children as a single father. I seem to recall he and his late wife were in the middle of a kitchen remodel and he needed to get it finished. Whatever the specifics, I liked the guitar enough that I just went ahead and bought it from him. After I paid we were talking on the phone and he said "hey man, I've got some old PRS pickups that I'll just toss in the case". When he told me that one was a stamped "B" and one was a "Deep Dish 2" I told him that they were both worth good money and that he should sell them. He would't hear of it. He wanted me to have them but asked that I help him find a great PRS when he was finally ready to get another one. Of course, I agreed. I look forward to the day I can fulfill my end of that bargain. Who knows... Maybe he will see this thread. It would be nice to talk to him again.

The guitar, itself, is single-handedly responsible for bringing my tone search to an end. I had been through so many guitars by the time this one showed up. I want to say at least 40 had passed through my house by the time I got this one. And when I plugged it into a Bad Cat Trem Cat 30, I heard angels singing. Eureka!

For me: Low output humbucker + EL84/EF86 amp = Heaven. As I get older, my favourite pickups seem to get narrower and narrower -- but I'm not quite pining for a the single-coil sound. I'm close, it's true, but the narrow 408's and NF pickups are currently scratching the itch.

At one point I sent this guitar to PRS for some new pickups. I sold the McCarty pups that were in it to Phretboard. Len Johnson said this was the first hollow body to get 57/08's and that it sounded like his old Byrdland. After a few years, I bought those pickups back from Phretboard and restored it to it's original configuration.

Today, it rests in a suede Private Stock case; a home worthy of a royal Orangutan. If you look at the top, below the bridge, you will see my old friend King Louie (of Jungle Book fame) hanging from the f-holes (Shawn named him). Louie is always there to greet me. And his original owner's story is always there too -- reminding me that every day is a gift. One life.

i-FKjV9FC-X4.jpg

i-nnSk3JM-X4.jpg

i-Wtjk3NS-X4.jpg

i-pdrX8tg.jpg

Last edited:
1999 PRS Goldtop McCarty (Brazilian Rosewood neck/fretboard)
Serial Number: 9_43156

Please allow me to introduce a guitar I call the Mother of Brazilians. It is one of roughly 30 PRS guitars that were stolen and sold by the late Jeff Lanahan, a former PRS employee. This guitar is probably in the top 3 best-sounding guitars I own. It was originally built at the behest of Jeff when he was the Manager of Artist Relations for PRS Guitars. The guitar was slated to be given to a professional guitar player (for promotional interests) but took an alternate course somewhere along the way. Flash forward to December of 2003, the guitar was listed on eBay (Item #2368271511) by Micheal D. Green (eBay ID: xochytl). Two of the fellas from the old Birds and Moons forum (Bruce O'Donnell and Glenn Braddy) were suspicious of the guitar -- so they started investigating.

The eBay seller, Michael Green, originally claimed that he took the guitar in on trade from a guy named “Duncan” (supposedly from Dallas). Green claimed that he traded Duncan a 1988 PRS mixed EG3/Custom employee model for it. Green ended up having a run-in (around 2004 or 2005) with PRS, the PRS Artist Relations Department, and the Feds. It turns out that many of the guitars Green was selling on eBay (to include this Brazilian Rosewood Gold Top McCarty) were stolen from the PRS factory and were coming from the hands of Lanahan. News articles published after the eventual lawsuit between PRS and Lanahan report that Green claimed to be “unaware” the guitars were stolen but that he was “always a little suspicious.”

The first source for concern was the seller’s claim that the neck was Brazilian Rosewood – despite a MODCAT code that suggests the neck is actually East Indian Rosewood. While the color and texture of the neck are clearly Brazilian, it is still a red flag. Discussions with PRS factory suggested that MODCAT system was very young when this guitar was built -- a possible reason for the discrepancy. More likely, however, was Lanahan's need make sure the guitar didn’t get any attention on the internal paper-trail. The second source for concern was the fact that this guitar pre-dates the limited run of solid Brazilian Rosewood neck McCarty guitars (250 signed and numbered) which are known, formally, as the “Brazilian Rosewood McCarty” model -- not to be confused with the Brazilian Limited Edition McCarty which only had a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard.

The bridge pickup cavity and original hang tag displays the word “Brazilian”. But, as previously mentioned, this instrument pre-dates the limited run of 250 Brazilian neck McCarty guitars. Upon closer inspection, there is little doubt that the coal-black lumber used for the neck of this guitar is Brazilian Rosewood but there has been no lab analysis of samples taken from the guitar. Assuming we're right, the build date makes this one of the oldest production PRS guitars with a Brazilian Rosewood neck. The only production Brazilian-neck McCarty that I've found that pre-dates this one was made for Howard Leese. Howard's guitar is serial number 9_42,3XX. The MOB is 9_ 43,156. Howard's guitar now belongs to Steve PfennRock Pfenninger (AKA 11top).

Braddy and O'Donnell attempted to get some verification via PRS and coordinated with Jim Cullen (former PRS Customer Relations Manager) who said the following to O’Donnell in an email:

Bruce,

The serial number would be helpful, also the MODCAT system was fairly new at the time and it does show a Brazilian for the fretboard so... It is difficult to say. Please get us the serial number and we will do what we can to assist you.

Best Regards,
Jim Cullen
Customer Relations

After the serial number was given to Cullen, directly by Green, Cullen replied with the following:

Michael,

I am sorry; our database prior to early 1999 is currently out of service indefinitely; if you would like more information, please email detailed photos of the guitar. I will do my best after receiving photos as well.
Best Regards,

Jim Cullen
Customer Relations

There is no more info from Cullen after this last email. As I write this, I cannot help but wonder if it was Lanahan (in an attempt to cover his tracks) who corrupted or deleted the original PRS database. Not knowing anything about the death of the PRS database, this is purely my own opinion.

Here is one of the news articles that was published when Lanahan was busted.

“Men sentenced in guitar-theft scheme” Sep 2, 2006 5:00 AM by Megan McIlroy
[email protected]
http://www.examiner.com/a-259180~Men...ft_scheme.html

Anne Arundel County (Map, News) - Two men who pleaded guilty to stealing guitars made by famed guitar maker Paul Reed Smith were ordered to pay restitution in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Friday. Jeffrey Lanahan, 44, of Annapolis, and Michael Kelly, 42, of Arnold, pleaded guilty in June to a theft scheme in which they took guitars made for bands like Third Eye Blind, Incubus and Train and arranged for them to be sold on eBay. “We wrote off $250,000 worth of guitars,” Smith said in court Friday, “Everybody felt kind of betrayed.” Lanahan worked for Smith in Stevensville for nine years. Before he resigned in September 2004, he worked as the director of artists’ relations, promoting guitars to recording artists. He was one of the few people at Paul Reed Smith Guitars who had access to the one-of-a-kind guitars, charging documents said. Smith eventually discovered one of his stolen guitars — one of only 11 — on eBay, charging documents said. The guitar was connected back to a friend of Lanahan’s and Kelly’s.

The friend, Michael Green, told police that he had sold about 20 Paul Reed Smith guitars on eBay. He also said that Kelly had given him about 10 more guitars to sell. The guitars, valued at thousands of dollars, were often marketed as guitars used by recording artists like Nickelback, Assistant State’s Attorney Michael Dunty said. Investigators were able to trace back approximately $40,000 worth of guitars back to Lanahan and Kelly, and they recovered guitars worth about $19,000, Dunty said. Lanahan was sentenced to three months of house arrest, five years probation, community service and was ordered to pay Smith about $21,000. Kelly was sentenced to three years probation, community service and was ordered to pay Smith $5,000.

Glenn Brady won the eBay auction mentioned above. David (Cyclops) bought the guitar from a dealer in South Florida. The dealer had bought it from Glenn at the Orlando Guitar show. David said that he fell in love with it and put in on hold for almost a year. When David got it home, he posted his NGD on Birds and Moons. At that point, Glenn sent him the back story.

David says that almost the same day that he brought it home, the trial started. He emailed PRS and asked them if they needed it for evidence. Fortunately, the next day, the court found Lanahan guilty and he agreed to pay for all the guitars. David said that he received a really nice note from PRS basically stating that the guitar was, at that point, 'legit'.

Many of the details in the original post were compiled by its two previous owners (David and Glenn).

BTW, Glenn is the one who made the custom truss rod cover. I believe that David (Cyclops) put the gold knobs on it. I put the early non-engraved 57/08's and Paul's Guitar bridge (see last photo) on it. I also put in in the Private Stock case. I'd say it's worthy.

Sadly, Jeff passed away under difficult circumstances in 2017.

Baltimore Sun (9 May 2017)
Annapolis homeless man dies on the street at 55
by Meredith Newman

"A former guitar maker living on the street was found dead on a West Street bench Monday in Annapolis", city police said. Officers responded to a call of a person in cardiac arrest and bleeding around 5:30 p.m. Monday and found Jeffrey Lanahan on a bench in the first block of West Street, police said.

Annapolis Fire Department paramedics performed CPR and pronounced him dead once was he was placed in an ambulance. Police found no signs of foul play and the Chief Medical Examiner Office was notified. Officers knew Lanahan and said he had a history of homelessness, said Cpl. Amy Miguez, police spokesman. She added that officers saw Lanahan earlier in the day on Main Street and were "shocked" to learn of his death.

At one point, Lanahan spent almost a decade making, promoting and delivering guitars for Paul Reed Smith Guitars in Stevensville. But in 2006, he pleaded guilty to stealing about a dozen guitars from his employer in 2006 that were made for bands Third Eye Blind, The Dead and Incubus. Since then, he had several run-ins with the law. Lanahan was charged with second-degree assault in January and had a trial date set for late June."

i-tn5Xmwg-X4.jpg

i-fVnDqvd-X4.jpg

i-M6wFNnz-X4.jpg

i-ZnqXc96-X4.jpg

Here's a photo of the neck in natural light.

i-88XRwW8-X4.jpg

I added the PG bridge last time I was in the States. Sure wish I had easier access to this one.

i-nKTPh3M-X4.jpg

Last edited:
1999 Brazilian Rosewood McCarty Soapbar (#177/250)
Serial Number: 9_44004 (Built 19 Nov 1999)

Most PRS guys fall into one of four camps: (1) The CU/CE 24 guys, (2) the McCarty guys, (3) the Singlecut guys, or (4) the 594 guys. I'm squarely in the McCarty camp and the BRW McCarty is my favorite PRS model of all time. I've had 4 or 5 of these through the years but this one is a keeper. It is estimated that about 12 of the Brazilian Neck McCartys had P90's but I've only seen 3.

I hassled @JMintzer for months before he agreed to part with this one (back in 2009). It is simple, understated, the 1-piece top is special without being flashy, the burst is totally on point. Moon inlay satisfies the McCarty purist and the guitar (as a complete package) is remarkably resonant. More so, in fact, than any of the others I've owned from the limited run. I added a Paul's Guitar bridge last year (not shown).

As the story goes, this model was made with old-growth Brazilian Rosewood that Paul got from Martin Guitars (when they stopped using it for fretboards). Many of us have replaced the McCarty pups with RP's or 57/08's with great results. This one has original P90's. They sound great so this guitar remains bone stock except for the PG bridge.

For reasons I will never understand, Brazilian Rosewood McCarty models frequently sell for less than the original (or the NOS) Modern Eagles. Players in-the-know have a BRW McCarty.

i-Dwsb2gd-X4.jpg

i-FsV23q5-X4.jpg

i-h2NzmqW-X4.jpg

i-5mwDjqN-X4.jpg

Last edited:
2002 Archtop Artist #3
Serial Number: 2_64552

This is Archtop Artist #3. It came from the Joe Johnson collection. It is a prototype 12-string that features a Brazilian Rosewood neck and fretboard, quilted maple top/back (Tiger Eye), and it has the first prototype of the adjustable 12-string bridge.

This guitar haunted me for years. When it first hit the streets the asking price as $27,000. I regretted not buying it but couldn't justify the price and figured it would find it's way to a long-term owner. Surprisingly, It changed hands at least 2 times in the 2 years that followed; coming down in price each time. In the end, with the help of my brother @markie, it was pulled from the wild and came to live with me. That's where it will stay until I'm worm-food.

i-GDv4WDB-X4.jpg

i-RNPPShV-X4.jpg

i-7np2WGm-X4.jpg

i-kMQrDWJ-X4.jpg

i-mQqFk5m-X4.jpg

i-qgCQMLv-X4.jpg

i-t8BRW6Z-X4.jpg

i-wzL5gRG-X4.jpg

If you have some time, check out the videos of Rick Hogue (GP Guitars) interviewing Joe Johnson, co-owner of Excel machine in Baltimore. This guitar was made for Joe Johnson (by Joe Knaggs) in trade for parts he and his partner (Randy) made for PRS Guitars. If you jump to 6:30 in this video, Joe talks about this guitar and the bridge.

Here's a tone sample from Garret Park Guitars; when it first hit the streets.

Last edited:
2004 PRS Artist Relations, 22-fret, 1-off
Serial Number: 4_83543

For the longest time I thought it was made for the owner of Big Bats Cafe (across the way from the factory). Then I came across paperwork saying that it was made for the owner of a landmark restaurant on the eastern shore called Holly's (which is now closed). But even more recent info reveals that neither of these things are true - and why there was so much misinformation surrounding this instrument. It is now believed this guitar was actually made by the Artist Relations program (Lanahan era). It was supposedly for Ed Robertson of the Barenaked Ladies. Given the Lanahan connection, who the hell knows.

I first saw this guitar when it was for sale at GP Guitars and just went all googly-eyed over it. @markie bought it and I guess he just got tired (as so many do) of hearing me whine until he sold it to me. Thanks Markie!

It's not a Private Stock but numerous details on this guitar are custom and the workmanship is epic. It is semi-hollow with an extra thick body (even more so than the usual semi-hollow PRS), 2-piece bridge, #8 pickups, dark Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, purfling on the neck and headstock, and a killer maple top in some sort of faded charcoal-violet. The neck is fat like a '58 Les Paul and the Kluson tuners finish off the vintage vibe. It sounds fantastic.

i-G9kW3X3-X4.jpg

i-zdm6wHR-X4.jpg

i-NTRkNtj-X4.jpg

i-BxFHvSm-X4.jpg

i-pDkSrxs-X4.jpg

i-cc6wN93-X4.jpg

Last edited:
2004 PRS "10 Top" Hollowbody 1
Serial Number: 4_84404

Around 1998, I walked into the Music Exchange (Colorado Springs) with some cash in my pocket. I was living downtown, walking distance from work, and had just sold my car. A few sips of wine from the home-brew store that was right next door and shazam... I was the proud new owner of a Vintage Yellow, semi-hollow, CU22 with McCarty switching; my first PRS guitar. It was a dream come true for me and my room-mate was jealous!

Alas, I didn't have the financial stability to keep it. Hell, I probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with but that was a crazy time in my life and a little fun was just what I needed. I was sad to see it go. But in the summer of 2005 I was finally back on my feet and I bought my 2nd PRS guitar; the 10-top Hollowbody you see here.

For the 18 months that followed, I played the b'jesus out of this thing. This is the guitar that bridged the gap between 'PRS fan' and 'PRS maniac'. When the tip of the piezo toggle switch broke off, my local dealer put me in touch with PRS Customer Service to get it fixed. That was my first interaction with a man who has become one of the great friends of my adult life, Shawn Nuthall.

Like an idiot, I sold this guitar around Christmas of 2007 (because I had just picked up an HB2 Artist) - but not before trading it's gold hardware for nickel. My wife was pregnant with my daughter and I felt the need to put some money away. I regretted selling it the day it left. It's new owner traded it to GC a short while later and I did my best to buy it back. Alas, GC wanted way too much for it. I had to let it go (emotionally speaking).

[Insert video montage of 8 years passing]

I thought about this guitar hundreds of times after it left my hands. That is no exaggeration. Friends can attest to the fact that I talked about it frequently. Just look at that top, man. It's freaking flawless.

Just before moving to Germany in the summer of 2015, over eight years after I sold it, the damn thing pops up on eBay. I had to check my records to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Sure enough... this was my old guitar. I promptly made an offer but it was rejected by the seller without a counter-offer. I sent him an email along with my phone number. When he called I relayed the story and we came to an arrangement.

I only brought 2 electric guitars with me when I moved to Europe. This natural "10" is one of them. It now sports a set of early, non-engraved 57/08's (not pictured). I am convinced that there is something special about the early 57/08's. They're freakin' magic.

If I was absolutely forced to sell all but a couple guitars [shudder], this one would stay with me. Like many guitars from the same era, it is plagued with the clouding finish. I would have refinished it by now but am too worried I'd change the way it feels/plays. So be it.

i-MvP8DcL-5K.jpg

i-XZNmndF-X4.jpg

i-zwHNVPb-X4.jpg

i-TMfSnbK.jpg

i-s68CMrP-X4.jpg

Last edited:
2006 PRS Private Stock McCarty #1087
Serial Number: 6_107415

This is another one I pried away from @markie. I'm not really a Private Stock kind of guy but this is one of those 'had to have it' guitars. Look at the spec-sheet. You just can't get some of this stuff anymore. It features a Brazilian Rosewood neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, Brazilian Rosewood headstock veneer, 14k gold and Mammoth Ivory (20th anniversary) inlay, and 20th Anniversary banner on headstock (also in gold and mammoth ivory). It also has a wild quilted maple top and Tiger Eye finish.

Man... I just love it.

I'll get better shots of this beauty one day. For now, it sits in a vault back in the US with most of these guitars. I don't even think I had a chance to plug this one in before it went into storage. When I finally have access to it again, I'll probably put a Paul's Guitar bridge and zebra 57/08's on it.

i-cRTXd9Z-X4.jpg

i-jk4X2c2-X4.jpg

i-38jXVtr-X4.jpg

i-J8tT6sQ-X4.jpg

i-sCKFV86-X4.jpg

i-2sq7wJP-X4.jpg

i-sr4cdTP-X4.jpg

Last edited:
What a killer collection and thread. I love the museum narration to go along with each example!

Like any good documentary, some good stories, but some tragic ones as well. Truth really is stranger than fiction!

Don't stop now. You're about 1/3 of the way there!

This chunk of the short-lived NF McCarty was a gift from @Shawn@PRS somewhere around 2012 (I think). It was signed by Paul when my family and I connected with him while he was doing a clinic at GuitarGuitar in Ghent, Belgium (Nov 2016).

I think, but can't remember, that the spare NF came from @justmund.

i-kcF5Rb8-X4.jpg

i-pQwrXqD-X4.jpg

Here are a few non-PRS guitars as a palette cleanser before you go to page 2.

My main guitar rig

i-kgw7Prm-X3.jpg

1960 Tweed Champ & 1968 Telecaster
(both vintage, not reissued)

i-VX992LD-X4.jpg

Eastman AR-81o
From the estate of the late jazz guitarist Alan Joseph

i-SbJQdzN-X4.jpg

Guild D55
This guitar and I have been through some sh!t together.

i-TcbBWzg-X4.jpg

i-xbNPDC2-X4.jpg

2005 Les Paul R9

i-m2Zw7vB-X4.jpg

2018 Les Paul R9
Brazilian Fretboard

i-k3MB2Kz-X4.jpg

i-rP29src-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Back