The Guitar That, When All's Said And Done, Is 'Most You'.

This is a tough one...

I think of the eight PRSi I am lucky enough to have, the one that feels most responsive to the way I play is the '99 SAS with the original McCarty pups.

But the one that is part of my musical DNA is my beat to sh!t 975 Telecaster Deluxe. "Mother of All Relics" with extremely heavy (but all-natural) wear. Alder body. Somewhat unsure of original color because front and back of guitar color have completely faded away to natural, sides still show "Mocha" color. Guitar never saw a case for most of it's life and was essentially worn out when I got it. Bridge pickup (shorted) rewound to original specs, with wiring redone as necessary. Extensive crack along truss rod channel in neck repaired and completely stable. Truss rod functions perfectly. Fret board (heavily damaged and extremely worn with worn out frets) smoothed and refinished with cyanoacrylate, re-fretted and PLEK'd. It plays effortlessly and sounds like heaven...

20171127-112029.jpg

If it’s PRS, then it’s difficult to choose between these two, as they do different things sonically, especially with the pickups that @Fullmoon 1971 made me for the SE245

But I’m very spoilt having a luthier as a friend and the amazing instruments he’s built for for me too, all four of them.

And then there’s old faithful, my MIJ Strat from the mid 90’s that did a lot of time on the road. I loaded it with Onamac Windery “Texas Specials” a few years ago (well my luthier friend did), updated wiring, pots and it took that somewhere different too. (Yeah I know that Sergio is muttering under his breath “into a skip”)

Different guitars, for different vibes.

The SC245 57/08 is the guitar that was the extension of me. I could coax any tone I needed/wanted out of it. Like an idiot I traded it in a moment of weakness. I have replaced with something close enough to continue to be an extension of my creativity, the SE245 57/08.

Looking sharp Mark. Bet it barks.

I have a set of ebony buttons that would suit that nicely if you want them (PM me). F ‘n’ G (free & gratis).

It has to be my two 2010 custom 22 triple soapies. While I have and have had a number of guitars, I knew right away when I got #1 4 years ago. It was on eBay and had obviously been used extensively. When it arrived, I unboxed it and thought “What the bloody hell have I done?” It was unbelievably filthy, minus several screws and had a significant number of hardware store screws in it. I accidentally hit one of the dead strings, and it vibrated like a tuning fork. I understood. It got cleaned up, and is always my best sonically. #2 is a mint model that fell out of the sky when I was looking for a backup triple soapie backup. It was made the same year, has the same neck, but a very different sound from #1. I go to my grave with my #1.
Oddly enough. I had gotten my #1 as a backup to a 2001 rosewood board triple soapie, blue of course. That got traded to a friend for a Custom 22 stoptail with 57/08’s and a rotary. Killer guitar, but not my soapies. The guy who got the soapie will never let it go. He’s a rocker, I’m a blues/funk player these days. These guitars can be deadly with the right amp.

Last edited:
It has to be my two 2010 custom 22 triple soapies. While I have and have had a number of guitars, I knew right away when I got #1 4 years ago. It was on eBay and had obviously been used extensively. When it arrived, I unboxed it and thought “What the bloody hell have I done?” It was unbelievably filthy, minus several screws and had a significant number of hardware store screws in it. I accidentally hit one of the dead strings, and it vibrated like a tuning fork. I understood. It got cleaned up, and is always my best sonically. #2 is a mint model that fell out of the sky when I was looking for a backup triple soapie backup. It was made the same year, has the same neck, but a very different sound from #1. I go to my grave with my #1.
Oddly enough. I had gotten my #1 as a backup to a 2001 rosewood board triple soapie, blue of course. That got traded to a friend for a Custom 22 stoptail with 57/08’s and a rotary. Killer guitar, but not my soapies. The guy who got the soapie will never let it go. He’s a rocker, I’m a blue/funk player these days. These guitars can be deadly with the right amp.
Thou hast chosen well my good man!

That keeps changing :)

At the moment it is my PRS Custom. I replaced the pickups many times and now arrived at a DiMarzio Dominion Bridge in the bridge and a DiMarzio Breed Neck in the neck. These are it for this guitar.

For years I hated the 5-way-rotary and finally replaced it with a DiMarzio EP1111 which I wired a la JP, i.e. bridge, inner coils in parallel and neck. Those were the tones I was mostly using. I never used the inner coils in series.

I then realized that I wanted the bridge humbucker in parallel to do AC/DC sounds but I did not want to lose the inner coils split sound. So I fitted two CTS 500k push pull pots. The one on the tone pot puts the bridge humbucker in parallel, which gives a Gretschy tone (not exactly alike but it fills the same sonic spot). The one on the volume control (1) splits the neck pickup to the inner coil and (2) when the tone pot is pulled it puts the bridge pickup to the inner coil only so that in the middle position I still have the inner coils in parallel. When the tone pot is not pulled, the volume pot pulled only splits the neck pickup.

That wiring gives me a total of 9 sounds, 6 of them humcancelling. 4 of them are important to me: bridge humbucker series, bridge humbucker parallel, inner coils parallel, neck humbucker series. I also now have both humbuckers in parallel and the neck pickup inner coil, which are both nice and useful and were not available with the original wiring.

Finally, the tone control operates as a bass contour knob, together with a 0.0022uf cap. I love this to remove the low end mud in the neck humbucker but it is also useful on the bridge pickup to add some more cut without going to parallel or split. I never used a standard tone control on that guitar as it is rather warm sounding.

The only two parts of the original wiring that are still in the guitar are the jack and the 180pf bright cap on the volume control :)

I still have all the original parts (HFS/VB, rotary, pots) just in case.

Cheers Stephan

One of the downsides to aquiring several instruments in a short span is sufficient time to bond with them . Every once in a while magic happens, I almost sold this one because it was somewhat redundant, but decided to really get aquainted and now I can't put it down . A limited run color in the last year the Master Luthiers were still with them , I've only been able to track down 3 in this model / color . Duncan '59 neck and a Seth Lover bridge from the factory
peknuissc1rogix5nm2o.jpg

Back