The Guitar That, When All's Said And Done, Is 'Most You'.

For me that's easy -- my NF3s. I've owned 75+ guitars (more than 30 of which were PRS) trying to find what I like most and what works for me. All of my guitars now are PRS and they're all really good and I enjoy playing them. There are times where I'll "run the rack" and pick up and noodle on one for 5 minutes and then pick up the next. The last one is always an NF3 because I don't want to put it down and switch to anything else after that. They're like my favorite t-shirt and favorite beer -- just right. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to sell almost everything else because the NF3 just does it for me. If I needed to pick one specific guitar, it's my Seafoam NF3. For whatever reason, that one just has a little extra beef to its sound.

To be honest with myself, I think my 245SE is the one that most defines my sound. It is not an imitation of any one else's guitar or sound. It is uniquely mine because of the way I put it together. Yes, my SE CU24 has been modded, but that was done to make it an equal (at least in my mind) to a core model.

The 245 was modded to suit my tastes and find my sound, and that is what I have accomplished with it.

Last edited:
But I've been blathering on, as usual. Lots of us have a guitar that's 'most us'. I'm interested in other folks' instruments and why they have them. What's the guitar that's most you? Doesn't have to be a PRS.
I think I'm the first to mention a non PRS.

My Alembic Further is my #1 and can do anything I've ever asked it. All obvious factors aside it fits my hand the best of any guitar and has been my live companion for 18 years.

That said I have 8 PRS from SE, S2 and Core lines and they are very sweet!

Oh man, this one gets personal!

For me, it’d be my S2 Standard 22, with the Mann bridge and 59/09 bridge pickup, stock #7S in the neck. Certainly my core models have tones with a level of refinement that only a core build can achieve, but the S2 Standard is the one that almost without fail, just works with everything. Any amp, pedal, whatever. It has slightly more mid push, but never gets honky, the bridge pickup has some depth, the neck is never muddy.

Sometimes I feel that my core models have such refined, personality-laden tones, that they almost limit themselves into narrower set of uses than some SE and S2 models. Which, don’t get me wrong, that’s not a bad thing. I bought those guitars because every detail was addressed to make certain, specific tones, and I wouldn’t want them to be generic sounding. Looking at it the other way, the S2 Standard may not make a
“Hey, that’s a ______” tone, but it just always sounds great. I can’t lose!
I feel the same way about my S2s!!!!! I even have 2!

I think my CU22 with stoptail. Used to be the McCarty Korina P90, however I had to swap the PUs to Mojotones due to hum on stage and the guitar lost its mojo. at the same time: aong came a very light, resonant, beautiful CU22, where I ripped out the dragon2s and put in some wolfetone marshallheads mk2 and that guitar is all kinds of awesome. Beats the mcsoapy, beautiful CU24 and starla in my collection.

513 Rosewood for me. A 513 was my first core (and second PRS) and it was my number one until I was able to snag a 2004 Rosewood model (I also tried a swamp ash, but it didn't do as much for me). The neck is wonderful, the versatility is great, and I really love the tone of the 513 pickups. This last point is something I've become more aware of over the years--yes, the 513 will do a pretty good ballpark imitation of lots of other guitars, but to really enjoy it for itself you need to appreciate, rather than mourn, the tonal differences that set it apart from a strat or LP or CU22 or whatever else you're using it for. And I love them.

Either of 2 Thorns. Custom orders so they better be close! If PRS, the basic original McCarty is bueno.

kiNRw2K.jpg

Hmmm. Such a difficult question. Depends a lot on what I’m doing. I’d say some version of the McCarty. I feel I’m in a weird transitional period in my playing(aging). So the original McCarty is great, but short one volume knob. Ive always preferred 1 knob per pickup. So with that said, I also love the 594. I do prefer 5708’s over the lauded 5815LT’s(gasp!) in every aspect(humbucker and split). I like both the stoptail and the 2 piece bridges. So arrives my PS which is a McCarty that is SC thickness for the body with modded DGT switching. That would be my #1. Even now, I wish the roasted maple necks would’ve been an option then as that’s my favorite feel. It’s the guitar I grab most often. I do have a love of standards(both my regular McCarty’s have solid mahogany bodies. I like the mid focus of them while playing higher gain and they ring like a bell, probably the 2 most resonant guitars I own. If I could build another PS, it might be solid mahogany body DC22 with a roasted maple neck with DGT control scheme. It wouldn’t probably be too fancy looking so I couldn’t justify that price tag or really afford it for that matter.

The one in this story.

In 1967 I went to the Shrine Exhibition Hall in Los Angeles to see Steppenwolf.
They were the first band. The second band was some guys named the Quicksilver Messenger Service.
One of the guitarists had an SG and I had never heard anything like what came out of his amplifier before.
His style of playing was unique and totally "rang my chimes".

After the show, they actually came down to mingle with the audience (things were different back then) and I met John Cipollina.
When I told him the effect his playing had on me, he said "It's the guitar". I looked at him like he had 3 heads.
He saw the look on my face and elaborated "It's the guitar. It does everything I ask it to do"

Early 1969 I am back in NYC and what he told me is still in my head. I am SG shopping.
I find a used mid '60's SG Custom in a store in Manhattan. As soon as I touch it I feel a connection.
I plunk down my money and take it home.

For over 54 years now this guitar has always, ALWAYS, done everything I have asked it to do.

Thank you John.

Edit:
I knew I had a picture someplace!

w2j21Gi.jpg

Last edited:
This is a tuff one as a number of my current stable I have not had long enough to form a definitive opinion yet...

So for now I'm afraid I'm going to have to say my trusty old Les Paul, ok don't shoot me!

It was one of my first "decent" guitars and to this day it just feels right in every aspect in my hands.
It doesn't tire me in any way and the tones I get from it suit me very well.
It's usually amongst the first couple I always reach for.

With some playtime on my recently acquired 10Top and PS maybe the ranking will change.

To be honest with myself, I think my 245SE is the one that most defines my sound. It is not an imitation of any one else's guitar or sound.
I’m also a “create tones that are unique and yours” kinda guy. Even what I do with my other guitars is mainly a variation on a theme.

I don’t want to chase other folks’ sounds. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, it’s just not what I do.

'95 CU22 Royal Blue, 10 Top, MOP Birds, Wide-Fat. All original, except for the BRW PRS Forum TRC (Beautiful work Ron!)

Bought it new in Feb. '95. I've never even had to adjust the truss rod. The Dragon 1's are perfect for what I play.

Last edited:
Back