The Guitar Formerly Known As The Wizard Has Arrived.

My conclusion today is that The Guitar Now Known As Morticia is most beautifully matched with the DG30.

I got Morticia to create resonant, vocal, "edge of breakup" tones, and the combination is hands-down wonderful. I use it with a very low-gain Pettyjohn Edge pedal to push it gently into additional saturation - as needed. But for the most part, the guitar, perhaps a delay from the H9, and the amp are all I need to achieve some pretty fantastic tones.

I'm glad I got this thing.

There was some wheeling, and some dealing. Some angst and some anticipation. Choices to be made. But now the guitar formerly known as The Wizard* (until five minutes ago) is home. Oh, it was The Wizard until I read a certain post. Now...well, what can ya do.

8f4GKlg.jpg

I spent some time playing it through both the DG30 and the Lone Star, with and without pedals, on the theory that these amps, played clean and semi clean would give me the lowdown on the guitar's tone quickly.

With the ebony board, I'd call the guitar airy, bright and very articulate. You can hear the semi-hollow nature of the thing in all positions.

I figured the most unique tones in the guitar would be positions 2 and 4 on the 5-way blade, with the humbuckers either full-on or split. They are.

The neck, whether full or split humbucker, and the bridge, full or split, are certainly great. The 4 middle position tones with both humbuckers are also quite cool. However, the guitar's raison d'être has to be the plucky formant tones you get with that middle pickup engaged, and that's what I was looking forward to. The guitar delivers those tones, and they're gorgeous.The semi hollow body almost acts as a resonant filter, giving the guitar a very vocal sound, yet...with the ebony board there's that sparkle.

That's all I know so far. My hands are still getting to know the feel of the neck and fretboard - they all feel a little different, don't they? On Day One I feel like I'm playing someone else's guitar.

The question is how much more blue could that be? The answer, none, none more blue. Love the deep color on that man. Good luck

In person, the guitar is darker than the pic, and the purple smoke burst is less obvious. That's not a bad thing.

The reason I named it The Wizard is that I was kind of worried about the blue/purple combination being too...unusual...for my taste, For grins I googled purple and blue guitars online, and a wizard troll doll with magenta-purple hair and a blue wizard outfit popped up!

Cracked me up, and I thought, "How appropriate, It will forever be that guy!

* [Edit-See Screamingdaisy's post. I have to un-name it now.

Edit v2: The name of the guitar is now Morticia (see post on page 3). Guitars don't need a name, but once you name one, you have to go with having a name, or the guitar becomes resentful, like you took something away. And then it doesn't cooperate. A guitar must cooperate.

Les, that's beautiful!
My retirement guitar from the wife with the sig and congratulations from Paul on the plate is an Artist. I think the ebony board is a great compliment to the guitar tone as well!

Nice score on Morticia... and tell Thing to get back in his box and quick tripping you up...... aCk!!!

159856756_10219688210539806_8869089391138874074_n.jpg

Congrats, Les. Beautiful guitar. I remember trying one when they first came out and thought they had a beautiful sweet tone to them. Jack seems to stock some special guitars! (Reminds self to look at Jack’s Bahama Blue C24 WL run again).

Les, that's beautiful!
My retirement guitar from the wife with the sig and congratulations from Paul on the plate is an Artist. I think the ebony board is a great compliment to the guitar tone as well!

Nice score on Morticia... and tell Thing to get back in his box and quick tripping you up...... aCk!!!

159856756_10219688210539806_8869089391138874074_n.jpg

Well dang, that one's even lovelier than Morticia! I love it!

I got the weird sister, I guess. :p

They're both equally awesome, brother!

Not at ALL! Yours is hands-down more my taste! Absolutely gorgeous. I definitely got the strange and less attractive sister, not that it's a big deal. It's simply true.

I don't mind saying so.

But the important thing is whether this model sounds good, and IMHO it does.

Not at ALL! Yours is hands-down more my taste! Absolutely gorgeous. I definitely got the strange and less attractive sister, not that it's a big deal. It's simply true.

I don't mind saying so.

But the important thing is whether this model sounds good, and IMHO it does.

I picked mine up the other day for the first time in a month after my Axe FX 3 Mk II arrived and I got all my stuff loaded off my original Axe 3 and I already had a buyer for it. I forgot just how much this guitar screams and purrs!!!

My next gig I may play it all damn night!!!!

Back