The Guitar Formerly Known As The Wizard Has Arrived.

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LSchefman, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Alan Jurgens

Alan Jurgens New Member

That is really really nice!

LSchefman likes this.
  2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

The guitar’s a beauty, Les, and apparently is living up to that in the tone department, too! I have to wait til November 11th to get my DG30, but I do enjoy hearing about how good yours sounds. :cool:

3. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Nice one Les. Ebony FBs are my favorite.

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  5. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

WOAH!! My man!! THAT is an absolute stunner!! Congrats and play it in good health my friend!!

6. DreamTheaterRules

That's one sweet guitar!

I'd also like to point out, that while few have listened, I've been shouting from the rooftops for years now, about the greatness of the NF pickups in general, but one specific greatness is the NF in the middle. I knew that eventually someone would take me seriously. I mean, not take my word for it, of course, and not until after they had bought and played their own middle position NF. But hey, now that PRS has released some new models with NF middles, and owners seem to be loving them all, how about a little, even grudgingly "Hey, DTR said this NF middle pickup was awesome, and I think that goofball finally got something right?"

So let me just leave this here now. Again. The NF pickups KILLS in the middle position!!!

Boogie, John F, dsenoj and 9 others like this.
  7. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Mesmerizing! Congrats

LSchefman likes this.
  8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Glad you like it, guys!

First, I'm glad you have one, and I'm not surprised that we agree on the tone characteristics, when have we not agreed on tone? I can't even remember back that far.

When I bought the guitar, I was stoked about the features, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to live with the finish; I'm more of a traditionalist.

So a whole lot of mental energy has been wasted on the can-I-live-with-the-purple-burst thing -- to the point that I wasn't able to see the forest for the trees, and really appreciate the guitar's looks. I honestly didn't notice the chevron pattern until you pointed it out!

:eek:

Hey, it is pretty nice after all!

Well, at least you know I don't buy these things for looks alone.

#28 LSchefman, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Right on, but you’re preaching to the choir. :)

[​IMG]

10. Tom Bradovich

Tom Bradovich New Member

Beautiful guitar, Les. I'm sure you'll find many more reasons to love it the more you play it. And look at it. :)

LSchefman likes this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

Amen, brother! :) (Although that particular example is a few notches above my choir's price range.

Seriously, there is some magic in a great middle pickup, for many things. I've had some great clean to high gain solo tones out of that middle NF. "Special" I'd say... No neck and bridge pickups combined can have the same response and tone as a middle pickup, and this one is the magic bullet in that spot on a guitar. And, about ANY guitar, I'd imagine...

12. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

That’s smoking hot Mr. Les! I don’t know if I’d like it as much without the purple burst. It really finishes it off and brings things together. Yeah, anything that involves a middle NF, is a great tone.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Looks aside, it's a great guitar. The honeymoon is going well, and even if the bride is a bit gothic with the dark purple lipstick, she's still a looker. ;)

WA Paul, RickP, dogrocketp and 5 others like this.
  14. ViggoP

ViggoP New Member

Nice! Is it a Limited or a newer ”core” (WL I assume?). What are the neck and body woods?

LSchefman likes this.
  15. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Excellent addition,

16. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

She's a unique beauty, Les! Purple grows on you quickly, I even have one, lol. I'm very happy for you and so glad you are getting such enjoyment from her! Huge congratulations to you!

17. markd21

markd21 New Member

Another awesomely gorgeous instrument, Les!! I haven't done a PRS semi-hollow with ebony yet, but man....I could not agree more on how the body seems to add a vocal-esque filter to the tone. That's how I felt about the CE24SH I had.

18. markd21

markd21 New Member

I really dig the 305 middle pickup, but there was something extra killer about the 25th SAS I had. I never cared for 2 & 4, but each pickup on its own was stunning. The middle was my fav on that guitar.

19. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Neato. These have been on my radar since they were introduced as the "Special Semi-Hollow" (in computerdom, "ssh" means "secure shell" -- perhaps, "The Hacker"? Or perhaps "Moss", "Jen", or "Roy"? XD ).

Also, please do tell me more about these "...plucky formant tones..." -- are they vocal-ish formants? That would make one of these even more interesting to me. Sound clips?

Also, because I'm me: too much blue, not enough purple. I would love love LOVE a purple/navy burst (I.E. the colours swapped).

20. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

You know…I’m having a really hard time figuring out why I don’t have one of these in my life.