The guitar "collection"

The girlfriend says I have a collection. Not sure if I do, but I would say I used to only keep guitars I play and maybe another one or two looking for the right home. I've always liked a variety and the spice of life thing. Fast forward to today and all I play 90% of the time is a PRS but can't bring myself to let go of the other brands. On one hand that makes me a guitar collector, and on the other a PRS snob collector wanna be..

I think that if you have a variety of “types” of guitars, then even if you have a few, that to me is not a collection. So you have say 10 PRS models, but they are all different models or configurations, that’s not a collection, it’s variety. But if you have 10 Les Pauls, or 10 Strats or 10 Custom 22s, then that strikes me more as a collection. That’s just me. I have 17 guitars, but no duplicates at all, so there is something different about every one. That to me is variety for a purpose. Collection seems to me like more of the same things. Again, my perspective.

Semantics... perhaps, but I do think that Yngwie has a collection of strats. Matt has a collection of Marshall’s. And several other guys here, again, by “my definition” may have a collection. Or two. I won’t mention any names. Because there’s nothing wrong with that.

Back