The Greatest "LIVE" album.

Huggy Love

Vintage member
At Walrus & Goat-n-Gitter's request we have your picks for Greatest Live Album. Soooo many to choose from for they have been produced since the advent of recording, in fact before multi tracking *ALL* recordings were live. Very prominent in the Jazz era and Rock of the 70's and 80's, although not many being produced or marketed today, there is still a lot to choose from. What's your pick?

I'll start with Frampton Comes Alive!
I4yynbB.jpg

Not for being an "end all" Live album, but because it happened at "that time" in my youth when music really hit me.

*Honorable mentions, Deep Purple-Live, Gratitude-EWF, Santana-Moonflower.

Last edited:
Rush In Rio - crazy energy by the humongous crowd, long set list from the Vapor Trails tour after their multi-year hiatus. I played this every day for about a year on my 90min 1-way commute back then. I’m also biased because my first Rush concert was this tour at the Gorge in WA state with my now wife. :)

That said, any live album from them gets played quite a bit.

Hmmmm, my preferred type of album is live, even though these days "live" is often very doctored......

One of my favs is Gamma Ray's "Alive '95". It's just RAW and in your face power metal. I really dig Kamelot's "One Cold Winter's Night" because my band opened a couple of the shows on that tour (not the show that was taped, sadly). I ALWAYS go back to Maiden's "Live After Death" - it was my first live album, and showed my that a band can be "organic" and NOT stick to the tempo of the record, lol.....in fact, "LAD" killed the first 4 Maiden records for me - the speed that they delivered those songs opened the door for me to begin exploring this new thing called speed metal.....

There are many more, but those would be among the top three, with "Live After Death" being number one.

Hmmmm, my preferred type of album is live, even though these days "live" is often very doctored......

One of my favs is Gamma Ray's "Alive '95". It's just RAW and in your face power metal. I really dig Kamelot's "One Cold Winter's Night" because my band opened a couple of the shows on that tour (not the show that was taped, sadly). I ALWAYS go back to Maiden's "Live After Death" - it was my first live album, and showed my that a band can be "organic" and NOT stick to the tempo of the record, lol.....in fact, "LAD" killed the first 4 Maiden records for me - the speed that they delivered those songs opened the door for me to begin exploring this new thing called speed metal.....

There are many more, but those would be among the top three, with "Live After Death" being number one.

Sweet call out for Gamma Ray. I saw them with Helloween back in 2008. Great show! Live After Death was the first of many Maiden shows I saw.

Foghat-Live There is so much awesome slide playing by Rod Price. Not the best editing, though.

Back