The greatest guitar solo of all times

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
What’s the title, please DC? I’m gonna have to look for this one:D

Alive in America has pretty much lived in my CD player in every car, since the mid 90’s.

When the drums open up Babylon Sisters, from the sound of the audience! A killer live album. The footnotes made me laugh, when Fagen and Becker said they had to re-learn their own songs!

So many to choose from. Comfortably numb is always at the top of my list, along with Gilmore's other classic solos - Time, money, another brick in the wall, and, well all of his solos really!
But I'm going to have to nominate the solos from Eric Johnson's Desert Rose. I love the way it goes from barely controlled feedback into soaring lead, and the aggression with which Eric attacks the notes at 4:21 picking every note individually. I've always had the impression that the adrenaline was really flowing at the time and Eric was really giving it some

The middle and outro solo's George Kooymans performs in " Vanilla Queen" off Golden Earring's 1977 live album. still mind blowing!

David Gilmour, the introductory guitar solo from Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I forget whether or not that counts as Part I or Part II) -- just crazy tasty perfection from beginning to end, tear-jerkingly pretty, jaw-droppingly perfectly intonated

I actually think I like the recent live versions he's done better than the original studio recording, if that's possible, so ...pick one from Live in Gdansk or Live at Pompeii.

I've also developed a new appreciation for the solo from Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 due to this video:
But the solo starts at 3:37, are you saying you don't like part between 3:37 and 4:04? AYE KEED, AYE KEED

(Such a great album...)

Yeah, there's a few solos, but the last one contains all the feels!

Agreed. Great album.

Classic Albums: Steely Dan - Aja

The The Dark Side of the Moon one is great, too. Especially when Alan Parsons solos the girly background choir and shows what some of the effects do, to complete that Pink Floyd sound.

Thanks for that, it’s on my list!

In ‘87 I was playing/singing in my first band (well one where I wasn’t playing trumpet or jazz!).

The other guitarist was influenced by and a big Pink Floyd fan. We gigged “Money” which was pretty hard seeing as be didn’t have a cash register!

I was young and more ignorant than I am now. I didn’t fully appreciate at the time, the talent of DG or the band!

I regularly listen to PF now as my father-in-law is a big fan. He has some pretty X-rated theories on the “wailing female” which aren’t appropriate for here. I’ll leave it to your imagination.

Thanks again:D

Thanks for that, it’s on my list!

In ‘87 I was playing/singing in my first band (well one where I wasn’t playing trumpet or jazz!).

The other guitarist was influenced by and a big Pink Floyd fan. We gigged “Money” which was pretty hard seeing as be didn’t have a cash register!

I was young and more ignorant than I am now. I didn’t fully appreciate at the time, the talent of DG or the band!

I regularly listen to PF now as my father-in-law is a big fan. He has some pretty X-rated theories on the “wailing female” which aren’t appropriate for here. I’ll leave it to your imagination.

Thanks again:D

THAT!!! Explains EVERYTHING! Trumpet AND Jazz... man I bet you got stuffed in A LOT of lockers huh? So, do you have scars from the wedgies? Not the scars to you psyche...those are obvious:confused:...I'm talking about scars of the physical variety .

LUCKY!!! I never get the cool father-in- laws, I've gotten more of the father-out-law type. The only interactions I ever had with him ...involved me being held at gunpoint, me filing a Restraining Order and me being taken into protective custody...thankfully, he's not eligible for parole until 2035 with good behavior...

If he ever had any theories, most likely they were on the most efficient and thorough way to dispose of my body.:eek:

Last edited:
THAT!!! Explains EVERYTHING! Trumpet AND Jazz... man I bet you got stuffed in A LOT of lockers huh? So, do you have scars from the wedgies? Not the scars to you psyche...those are obvious:confused:...I'm talking about scars of the physical variety .

LUCKY!!! I never get the cool father-in- laws, I've gotten more of the father-out-law type. The only interactions I ever had with him ...involved me being held at gunpoint, me filing a Restraining Order and me being taken into protective custody...thankfully, he's not eligible for parole until 2035 with good behavior...

If he ever had any theories, most likely they were on the most efficient and thorough way to dispose of my body.:eek:
Well there was this one time at band camp!;)

Ah my Southern Brother from another Mother! You obviously need more Jazz in your life, to restore some calm! No one ever wanted to kill anyone after listening to Ella or Oscar!

Yes I’m lucky, he’s one of my best friends and my only ally when the plates start flying at home. He knows how “loopy” Mrs M is! Haha!!:D

If only I could have “Back to the Future” style, spoken to my teenage self! I’d have done a lot of things the same and some differently!!

Classic Albums: Steely Dan - Aja

The The Dark Side of the Moon one is great, too. Especially when Alan Parsons solos the girly background choir and shows what some of the effects do, to complete that Pink Floyd sound.

Veering off-topic, the Classic Albums series - primarily the early ones - is great. I love watching them break down the master tapes and highlight parts that maybe don't get as much notice. I have several on DVD. Highly recommend the eps on "Who's Next" and "Rumours". There's a bit on the "Rumours" one where they play one of the songs talking about Lindsey Buckingham's parts, and you kind of think, "Yeah, that's the song." Then they play an isolated guitar part that doesn't sound like it fits, but when they put it together with the other parts, boom - it's suddenly all there.

The later eps seemed to become more of a band history or a sort of documentary of the band at that point of their career. Much less breakdown of the songs and the album. Unfortunately for me, those included Rush, Zappa, and Iron Maiden.

The solo in Peg. And it’s not until you hear the great solos they rejected that you realize there is such a thing as "more perfect". The magic starts at 4:10:

Fascinating video! I love Steely Dan and that is a great insight into some of their work. Thanks for posting it!

Well there was this one time at band camp!;)

Ah my Southern Brother from another Mother! You obviously need more Jazz in your life, to restore some calm! No one ever wanted to kill anyone after listening to Ella or Oscar!

Yes I’m lucky, he’s one of my best friends and my only ally when the plates start flying at home. He knows how “loopy” Mrs M is! Haha!!:D

If only I could have “Back to the Future” style, spoken to my teenage self! I’d have done a lot of things the same and some differently!!

You know what they say. "You can take the boy out of the country...."

Aside from Steely Dan solos (many great ones), I would have to think about some of the solos Duane Allman laid down on the Live At The Fillmore East double CD (both his slide solos and no slide solos, such as the 1st solo in Whippin Post

For pure emotion, the one note solo by Neil Young on "Cinnamon Girl", for speed and technicality...".

Oh yeah? I'll see you one Young and raise you a Bruce. Hit it Bruce! :)
(Extra points for unadulterated in-your-face guitar tone.)

Last edited:
My two must haves are already mentioned, (Comfortably numb and Hotel California), so I get an honorable mention...another duet...

Boston - More than a feeling. I wore that 8 track out listening to that solo over and over.

Back