The greatest guitar solo of all times

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

Since we're doing "favorites" and "vs" threads this week, what is the greatest guitar solo of all times IYO.

Hands down for me, Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys. Toke or two, and Jimi starts the greatest solo every by cutting your head off with one note at the 4:00 mark, and then it's tripville for the rest of the ride. Simply THE BEST!

Since we're doing "favorites" and "vs" threads this week, what is the greatest guitar solo of all times IYO.

Hands down for me, Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys. Toke or two, and Jimi starts the greatest solo every by cutting your head off with one note at the 4:00 mark, and then it's tripville for the rest of the ride. Simply THE BEST!

Have you been talking to Paul Smith? He and the band played this at one of the PRS Experiences

Well, for me it's not a "solo", per se....it's a musical "motif" (not really, but it's how I view it). I will listen to JUST this section of the song on repeat.....it drives my wife NUTS. Each individual part - guitar, lead, bass, drums - inspired me in the way I approach the way I play each of those instruments, as I am also a bassist and drummer.

It's the outro to King Diamond's "Black Horsemen". To hear the part I am referring to, it's the last 2 minutes or so of the song. My goal as a musician has been to create music that gives me the feeling that this outro gave me the first time I heard it.....again, for me it's NOT just about the guitar solo (though it is VERY cool!!)

Have you been talking to Paul Smith? He and the band played this at one of the PRS Experiences

LOL, no but he's said more than once that he likes it and I've seen his band play it in videos.

Steve Vai in the movie Crossroads
There was something in Gary Moore's solo on Shapes Of Things that grabbed me.
Eric Clapton - Let It Rain and Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad (Live at the Filmore)
SRV - Couldn't Stand The Weather and Lenny (Live in '83)

Jimmy Page's solo on Ten Years Gone is probably my favorite guitar solo of all time.
Martin Barre's solo on Aqualung by Jethro Tull is right up there as well.
Let's not forget Michael Schenker on the live version of Rock Bottom by UFO.

Back