The Great Thing About The PRS Single Channel Amps.

Funny that you mention the fender reissues’ clean tones. I agree they can be pretty good; the hand wired reissues are even nicer sounding.

One of my favorite amps that I never had is the Vibro-King from the late ‘90s or early ‘00s (memory fails me here).

They can still make a great amp when they want to!

Yeah speaker upgrade and my deluxe reissue is great

Ah yes, the ol' blanket statement routine. Well, I certainly like my PRS Dallas 4x10 combo. Now that I think about it, it might be safe to say that I like my Dallas as much as Les likes his HXDA. I tried an HXDA once but despite my best efforts (which included consultation with both Les and the PTC) the best tone I could get out of it is that which I would describe as what you find on the ground behind the Southern end of a North bound horse. But of course, "good tone" is a subjective thing and "your mileage may vary" also applies. With regard to my PRS amps, my Archon is my "everyday" PRS amp but my Dallas I would consider more of a specialty amp which one would play on special occasions when one would want some especially thick and groovy mojo. The only other single channel amp I own is a Kerry King signature model Marshall JCM800. It is a face melter. That's all it does. It melts faces.

Ah yes, the ol' blanket statement routine. Well, I certainly like my PRS Dallas 4x10 combo. Now that I think about it, it might be safe to say that I like my Dallas as much as Les likes his HXDA. I tried an HXDA once but despite my best efforts (which included consultation with both Les and the PTC) the best tone I could get out of it is that which I would describe as what you find on the ground behind the Southern end of a North bound horse. But of course, "good tone" is a subjective thing and "your mileage may vary" also applies. With regard to my PRS amps, my Archon is my "everyday" PRS amp but my Dallas I would consider more of a specialty amp which one would play on special occasions when one would want some especially thick and groovy mojo. The only other single channel amp I own is a Kerry King signature model Marshall JCM800. It is a face melter. That's all it does. It melts faces.

The Dallas is a superb amp!

The HXDA, as with any amp, is suited to the player who uses it for what it’s best at doing. I find it perfect for what I do. It obviously wasn’t the best tool for what Hangar 18 does. No problem there.

Archons and JCM800s aren’t the right tools for my work, but they’re great tools for what they excel at in someone else’s hands.

My thinking about “good tone” is that it doesn’t exist outside the endless loop of player/guitar/pedals/amp/speaker/player. Everyone’s brain, tastes, hands, skills, and musical gestalt is unique.

That’s why there is no “best” anything, there’s only what’s best for you.

An amp that I think sounds great in my endless loop is clearly not for everyone. That’s why I hesitate to recommend that anyone go out and buy what I like. I always say, “Test drive it yourself first.”

The Dallas is a superb amp!

The HXDA, as with any amp, is suited to the player who uses it for what it’s best at doing. I find it perfect for what I do. It obviously wasn’t the best tool for what Hangar 18 does. No problem there.

Archons and JCM800s aren’t the right tools for my work, but they’re great tools for what they excel at in someone else’s hands.

My thinking about “good tone” is that it doesn’t exist outside the endless loop of player/guitar/pedals/amp/speaker/player. Everyone’s brain, tastes, hands, skills, and musical gestalt is unique.

That’s why there is no “best” anything, there’s only what’s best for you.

An amp that I think sounds great in my endless loop is clearly not for everyone. That’s why I hesitate to recommend that anyone go out and buy what I like. I always say, “Test drive it yourself first.”

That HXDA I had, I bought it brand new. Did I ever mention what I traded it for?

PRS-2013_SC245RedBurst2730.jpg

Even trade.

^^^ THIS ^^^
It's subjective, and just like stating who the best guitar player in the world is... it's useless.

Hey, I may not know who the best guitar player in the world is, but at least I know who the most mediocre guitar player in the world is - me!

“But Les, you play guitar almost every day; so you have to listen to yourself more than anyone else. Why bother?”

“It’s like Sisyphus and the boulder. Every time he rolls it up the hill, it rolls back down, and he is forced to roll it back toward the summit again. Because he’s in Hades, and that’s his punishment.

I figure I must be in Hades, and having to hear myself play is my punishment. Every time I get close to sounding the way I want, the next day I find myself back at the bottom of the hill!”

And for most of us there is more than one best. Best for blues, best for squeaky clean, best for waking up the neighbours...

I’m clearly in need of better mental organization!

I kinda choose things randomly, on a “What am I feeling today” basis, and then figure out whether it works for a particular song. If it works, I don’t try anything else. If it doesn’t work, I’ll generally switch to a different amp before trying a different guitar.

Not because the amp has such a huge effect on tone, though of course it does, but because the amps are on a switch box, so the least effort is involved.

Hell yes I’m lazy! ;)

If I was organized and had a best guitar or amp for each category, life might be better. Hmmmm.

Back