The Great Thing About The PRS Single Channel Amps.

Side note, I did find it interesting recently following Grissom's Instagram lately, that he answered someone's comment of 'what amp do you request if they can't provide a PRS DG Series'

Answer, AC30.
Which makes a lot of sense based on how he plays, uses his pedalboard, etc.
And the topography and design of the DG amps. They're less 'plexi' and closer to a Vox thing to my ear from clips.

That’s really interesting!

I hear more vintage Tweed/Gibson/Magnatone, but the speakers could have a lot to do with that. I’ve wondered how it would sound with a set of Celestion Blues or Cream 90 Alnicos. Hmmm.

I could be connecting dots that aren't there Les. Knowing his use of BadCat for long periods pre-PRS.
And the matchless clubman...

I could be connecting dots that aren't there Les. Knowing his use of BadCat for long periods pre-PRS.
And the matchless clubman...

I’ve had one Bad Cat and used some Matchless HC-30s in sessions from time to time. Been a while since I played a really good AC30, however.

The DG has more bass and more clean headroom than the C30 Matchless. In that respect it kind of reminds me of a really good Tweed amp. Also the C-30 Matchlesses have that ‘Kerraannng’ that lots of the good AC30s exhibit; the DG breaks up a little differently.

Whether that’s the speakers or not, I can’t say. I’ve only played my DG30 through the pine DG cab with 2x12 V30s a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab with V-30s, and the PRS Big Mouth 2x12 cab with, again, V-30s.

On the other hand, the C-30 Matchless or a good AC30 are killer amps.

Oh man...we gotta get you trying some different speakers. :cool:

I also have some Celestion-built Mesa Black Shadow 90s in the Lone Star, and will be getting an alnico set for the cab I’ll decide on for the Fillmore.

But I’ve had a TON of cabs, with all kinds of speakers in the past 50 years. Greenbacks, H30s, G-12 65s, Jensens, Eminence speakers made for Two-Rock, Tone Tubbies, EV...the list goes on and on.

During this long time period, my favorite speakers have been Celestions of one variety or another. That kinda makes sense, since they’ve been the choice of so many artists over the years, and we’re kind of used to the tone we hear on records.

I also have some Celestion-built Mesa Black Shadow 90s in the Lone Star, and will be getting an alnico set for the cab I’ll decide on for the Fillmore.

But I’ve had a TON of cabs, with all kinds of speakers in the past 50 years. Greenbacks, H30s, G-12 65s, Jensens, Eminence speakers made for Two-Rock, Tone Tubbies, EV...the list goes on and on.

During this long time period, my favorite speakers have been Celestions of one variety or another. That kinda makes sense, since they’ve been the choice of so many artists over the years, and we’re kind of used to the tone we hear on records.
Scumback

He makes a nice speaker.

This is going to seem very shallow, since I have lots of audio respect for the product, but I can’t bring myself to buy a speaker that says “scum” on the label.

Ridiculous, right? Also true. :(

He makes a nice speaker.

This is going to seem very shallow, since I have lots of audio respect for the product, but I can’t bring myself to buy a speaker that says “scum” on the label.

Ridiculous, right? Also true. :(
I’m sure Jim would mark out part of the label for you.

Exactly.

I’ve met Doug Sewell, who designs and builds the amps, and he is definitely obsessed with great tone, and getting the best possible response from an amp.

As far as I’m concerned, his PRS CAD amps are masterpieces.
Although I've never met the man, the products certainly reveal his genius.
Paul chose his amp partner well.

Haha! Yeah, but I’d still know. ;)

I’m probably the only person on earth who feels the name of a speaker is an impediment to buying it! Of course, I reserve the right to be ridiculous. And so often I succeed!

I kind of get it. To this day I won’t plug into a Bruno.... you know who drove me so nuts on the forums as his answer to any question.

Cleans? Bruno! Blues? Bruno!Metal tone? Bruno! Djent? Bruno! Harmonica? Bruno!!

Before that Emmy pro
Then Quinn
Now on to the next lol
Love the guy but git jaded on that one

I kind of get it. To this day I won’t plug into a Bruno.... you know who drove me so nuts on the forums as his answer to any question.

Cleans? Bruno! Blues? Bruno!Metal tone? Bruno! Djent? Bruno! Harmonica? Bruno!!

Before that Emmy pro
Then Quinn
Now on to the next lol
Love the guy but git jaded on that one

I’m in no position to criticize; it’d be a case of the pot calling the kettle black! I seem to be the high priest of the tube amp religion lately, complete with the Spanish Inquisition (in good humor) vs the modeling heretics!

It’s funny, he and I used to drive each other up a wall in the early days, but once I got into Two-Rocks I better understood his wavelength. We wound up becoming friends, though we’re both a little mad.

We’ve had some great conversations about 70s Oakland Raiders and both liking fender reissue cleans

We’ve had some great conversations about 70s Oakland Raiders and both liking fender reissue cleans

Funny that you mention the fender reissues’ clean tones. I agree they can be pretty good; the hand wired reissues are even nicer sounding.

One of my favorite amps that I never had is the Vibro-King from the late ‘90s or early ‘00s (memory fails me here).

They can still make a great amp when they want to!

The amp that brought me back to single channel amps after years with two-channel amps was a Bogner Metropolis, in the early ‘00s. It was a 30 Watt 4xEL84 amp, but kind of Fender sounding. The cleans were very transparent.

It had something called a Schizo switch that gave it different amounts of distortion, but I liked it on the cleanest or second cleanest setting. It made it to a lot of my ad work at the time, but I was looking for something different and replaced it with a Bad Cat that had a more British sound.

Ultimately, however, the HXDA and DG30 replaced everything I had, and for good reason - they’re phenomenal amps.

Back