The Great Green Guitar Thread

0SsKJTH.jpg

Now if I could only get my P245T Ocean Mist Glow in the room with VB’s Bahama Blue SCT TOL and Tosca’s MEV Sub Zero Glow we could really see how different these color shades look!

Well damn, THAT is pretty special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s “just” a ten top. Not sure why it wouldn’t be considered artist grade. Might be cause of some slight breaks on the back where it looks lines going top to bottom, but it’s very minor. It’s a ridiculous top and sounds as good as it looks.

It’s “just” a ten top.

Frankly, these numbers don’t really matter. I’ve seen private stocks that don’t look that good to my eye. And people can have different criteria in grading wood. PRS makes a big deal about the uniformity and coverage of the figuring, but to me, sometimes book matched “dead spots” surrounded by interesting curl or striations adds to the beauty of the piece.

I was listening to Paul give a presentation years ago, and he was talking about the difficulty his company faced acquiring enough “perfect” wood. He said pleasing PRS customers was a struggle because we all want “perfect” wood. He asked, “How many of you would purchase a guitar with a knot in the wood.” I raised my hand. He looked at me, shook his head and smiled, and said, “You don’t count. You like weird stuff.” I replied, “As long as it’s book matched.”

So, while I understand the need for a rating system, in the end it doesn’t really matter. It’s about what looks good to the owner. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” I think that quote was written by a wood aficionado.

Frankly, these numbers don’t really matter. I’ve seen private stocks that don’t look that good to my eye. And people can have different criteria in grading wood. PRS makes a big deal about the uniformity and coverage of the figuring, but to me, sometimes book matched “dead spots” surrounded by interesting curl or striations adds to the beauty of the piece.

I was listening to Paul give a presentation years ago, and he was talking about the difficulty his company faced acquiring enough “perfect” wood. He said pleasing PRS customers was a struggle because we all want “perfect” wood. He asked, “How many of you would purchase a guitar with a knot in the wood.” I raised my hand. He looked at me, shook his head and smiled, and said, “You don’t count. You like weird stuff.” I replied, “As long as it’s book matched.”

So, while I understand the need for a rating system, in the end it doesn’t really matter. It’s about what looks good to the owner. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” I think that quote was written by a wood aficionado.
I totally agree. This top is just so striking I was blown away when I got it. I ordered it from the wood library run and it was spec'd as a ten top so I knew it'd have some nice flame, but I was floored when I saw it.

Back