The Grandad and the Grandkid: An NGD story.

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
So I was thrilled in 2018 to land Paul’s personal guitar, which was also the PS prototype for the new TCI Paul’s Guitars. I call it the Grandad, since it’s the ancestor or “patriarch” to the entire range of Paul’s Guitars you now see, from core to SE.

All hail the Grandad! :p
bkC51mv.jpg
q6IIXc1.png

But I was never going to play much on the Grandad. I mean, it’s got PRS’ pick scratches on a PRS! That’s a small bit of history worth preserving as it is, isn’t it?

But I want to play a PG. The Grandad plays and sounds just killer. And all the internet reviews so far show how fantastic and unique it sounds; it’s the real deal!

So I did the only other thing I could do. I went out and got the Grandkid!!
cjVNEXy.jpg

Such a beauty too! Can’t wait to play it when it arrives. Many killer riffs await!

Last edited:
Nice new guitar, congrats. However, I personally would have played the “grandad.” A guitar is a tool, and if the grandad plays and sounds killer, I’d just play and enjoy that instead of looking at it.

Both guitars are awesome! I would personally play the crap out of Grandad, I just wouldn't take it out of the house much. Curious to see how Grandkid stacks up.

Nice new guitar, congrats. However, I personally would have played the “grandad.” A guitar is a tool, and if the grandad plays and sounds killer, I’d just play and enjoy that instead of looking at it.

LOL well noted my friends, but Paul has already done that for me.

They both look fantastic, congrats !

How do you end up w/ something like the Grandad ? Doest it just end up being for sale at a store ? I've seen a few prototypes here and there.

They both look fantastic, congrats !

How do you end up w/ something like the Grandad ? Doest it just end up being for sale at a store ? I've seen a few prototypes here and there.
Thanks! Yeah that’s literally it. I chanced upon it on the website of a German dealer. The dealer found out about the prototype, and then approached Paul to buy over the guitar. I was initially skeptical if it was truly Paul’s personal guitar. Then I was shown the PS cert and a video of Paul gigging with it and that was that.

Well super nice find for sure. I dig what appears to be stained contrasting 'binding' on it.

Wooooah!! THAT is a truly special one!!

"Grandad" is far out of reach for me...BUT that Pauls SE isn't and it is SPECTACULAR!

I'm waiting to see what comes out on the 14th...BUT my GAS is FULLY engaged for one of the SEs! How do you like it?

These flew under my radar for some reason, since they were introduced. Recently, I've been seeing reviews pop up and I've gone down the rabbit hole head first! It really looks amazing (even took @toothace by surprise):eek:and my man knows his PRSi. With the neck carve and the core bridge it must be amazing to play.

Killer score on both...probably the best top on an SE that I've seen, especially with that softer core type carve the SEs have. Congrats my friend! Enjoy and play them in good health!!

Last edited:
Wooooah!! THAT is a truly special one!!

"Grandad" is far out of reach for me...BUT that Pauls SE isn't and it is SPECTACULAR!

I'm waiting to see what comes out on the 14th...BUT my GAS is FULLY engaged for one of the SEs! How do you like it?

These flew under my radar for some reason, since they were introduced. Recently, I've been seeing reviews pop up and I've gone down the rabbit hole head first! It really looks amazing (even took @toothace by surprise):eek:and my man knows his PRSi. With the neck carve and the core bridge it must be amazing to play.

Killer score on both...probably the best top on an SE that I've seen, especially with that softer core type carve the SEs have. Congrats my friend! Enjoy and play them in good health!!
I’ve not received the SE yet as it’s on route: I certainly hope I don’t jinx it! Thanks for the well wishes! :)

I’ve not received the SE yet as it’s on route: I certainly hope I don’t jinx it! Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Your welcome buddy! My bad...I read that but the top on yours had me side tracked.;) I actually stumbled upon one at SW last night. It's listed as "used" instead of a demo so I'm a little apprehensive about it. I think I'm still gonna wait and see what if any different colors they offer. That said the red looks really good with a good flame. If you don't mind keep me posted on your thoughts once it lands.

Pic of the used one on SW.
NcgDc8r.png

Back