The Goldtop Appreciation Thread

Appreciate the zombie thread resurrection! Did one of you dirty scallywags plunder this beauty from me a couple years ago on Reverb? (I wasn't here on the PRS forum yet at that time.) I really need to get another one of these, in SC 245 form with a Pattern neck...

xpZL2LH.jpg

Appreciate the zombie thread resurrection! Did one of you dirty scallywags plunder this beauty from me a couple years ago on Reverb? (I wasn't here on the PRS forum yet at that time.) I really need to get another one of these, in SC 245 form with a Pattern neck...

xpZL2LH.jpg
If you're in Dayton, OH, then yes.

Just bought a 35th anniv custom 24 gold top. I'll try to post pics when it arrives. Can't wait. I also realized that the carve is more noticable with solid colors as opposed to flame maply finishes.

Ooh, I definitely want to see that!

Personally, my Goldtop moved on to a new home last year, but I still think metallic colors are the best for showing off the top carve.

If you're in Dayton, OH, then yes.
Sorry, nope... southeast MI.

But in fact I saw a post from Les way earlier in this thread (back from '17) jonesin' for exactly that guitar, and I thought, "Wish I'd have known at the time, I could've hooked him up."

I am a sucker for goldtops, ever since I had an original '56. Longer story that! I HAD a Custom 2 goldtop years ago. Another longer story about it, a Marshall stack and a Calif. earthquake.......

At present, I have only the ME Quatro in that finish, as it relates to PRS. And I cannot locate a current picture of it. But a few other goldtops do keep me entertained in the interim.......These are a few of my favorite things.....

Believe it or choose not to.....At least one of these is far superior to my '56. You decide which one.....

Pics for my new 35th anniversary custom 24 goldtop are in my camera & taken. They shipped my guitar so fast that I had to pull my hair out for 24 hours waiting for any residual Covid to die. That was a long long long wait. Opened the box this afternoon and was in heaven. The neck, overall feel, and tone seem perfect (tonight I'll crank the amp up), and the icing on the cake is the gold gold gold (very "purdy"). Btw, the back is natural and shows off some sweet grain. Here goes... Hopefully I post these pics correctly.

Pics for my new 35th anniversary custom 24 goldtop are in my camera & taken. They shipped my guitar so fast that I had to pull my hair out for 24 hours waiting for any residual Covid to die. That was a long long long wait. Opened the box this afternoon and was in heaven. The neck, overall feel, and tone seem perfect (tonight I'll crank the amp up), and the icing on the cake is the gold gold gold (very "purdy"). Btw, the back is natural and shows off some sweet grain. Here goes... Hopefully I post these pics correctly.
whoops, cant see any photo's.

Ha ha...Getting familiar with imgur which seems easy enough. Should be real soon.

I think/hope that worked (my quick test of it showed the pics rendered correctly). The coloring when taking digital photos always seems to translate differently/wrongly. In person, I think the top is actually less yellow-toned and more gold-toned than the pics depict. I can take more pics if anyone wants. Got it from Music Zoo who was super awesome to work with. I almost bought from Ish / Righteous / John Mann, but Music Zoo bested them regarding what I needed. I think I may flip the truss rod cover over (or make one from some dark wood I have).

Yeah, I haven't decided on the truss rod cover. I'm just trying to let the wood settle in my environment so I can adjust the truss rod assuming it'll even be needed.

I use "PICK Honey" by Gorilla Snot to help me hold my pick securely, and over time I get a little of it (it's mostly pine sap I think) on my guitar such as when I put on & take the guitar off, so I've had to clean the sap off of my other guitars with naphtha (since they're finished in nitro). Does anyone know if naphtha is safe on the PRS finishes having "nitro over CAB"?

Veinbuster, thanks so much for including that pic. I'll try to figure out how it works soon enough so I know how to do that in the future.

Back