The gift of guitar

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
A little while ago, @sergiodeblanc mentioned that my guitar collection would be quite tiny but for my wife. You might have missed it because it was in an obscure corner that only the DFZ can enter. But, over the next little while I’ll share some evidence that he might be right.

We still looked at guitars from time to time after I had ‘enough’. This is the first one she went back to the store and picked up on her own.
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG

I had thought a guitar player should have a strat, but never found one I really liked. I did like this one. HFS & VB with a Seymour Duncan rail. Great range, classic strat look and a beauty neck.
CK_MapleMaple.JPG

What’s not to love.

This became my travel guitar for about 10 years. Stuffed it in a gig bag and played it through headphones via a Zoom box.

You might have missed it because it was in an obscure corner that only the DFZ can enter.

Before someone reads that comment and starts a nasty rumour that there is a hidden/restricted section of our forum (which certainly exists elsewhere), Peter is referring to a private message I sent-out to a bunch of forum members back in 2014. That PM is still alive and has become a place where many of us (who are friends in the real world) meet to say hello. Everyone here is capable of using the same PM system for their own side-bar discussion.

Last edited:
Next up was another we had visited, but I decided not to get. I had been interested in an archtop for a while, but found most a bit cumbersome, kind of lost between being an electric size and an acoustic size. Leslie thought this one looked pretty good on me.
CK_20PPlaysArchtop.JPG

As a player, it looks more like this. The neck joint looks massive, but plays nicely.
CK_109PalyersArchtopView.JPG

Simple formula: mahogany sides and top and back carved inside and out. The carve is much more appealing to me than a laminate.
CK_127ArchtopSide.JPG

Top is ordinary. I'm fine with that. I like the colour a lot. Serial back in the 30ks means archtop pickups. I've never felt the need to change them.
CK_123Archtop.JPG

and the back for good measure.
CK_128ArchtopBackAAA.JPG

For a few years, I played this acoustically as a proxy for my classical while at my work location.
Then it lived in a place of honour in the wall case beside my wife's piano for a few years (until it got displaced by another of her purchases).
It deserved more love than it got from the world at large.

Back