The gift of guitar

Next, another acoustic. I had developed a fondness for smaller acoustics, and in particular 12 frets. If 12 frets is enough for a classical (my classical is by far my most played guitar), it seemed like it should be enough for steel strings.
First, the little note it came with
CK_15TagOnKoaCropped.JPG

A really pretty guitar.
CK_21PShowsKoaAAA.JPG

A closer look at the inlay. Simple, but elegant.
CK_32KoaInlay.JPG

and finish off with a peak at the back.
CK_438KoaBodyBack.JPG

This is a mellow guitar, but even its softest voice makes each note true.
It lives in a wall case in the library and is most likely to be played while others in the house are still asleep.
Absolutely glorious finish on that one!

and then...a mystery and a treasure hunt
CK_260TeaserClue.jpg

A bit of background. 10ish years ago, I was hanging out with some mates in Indy and chatted a bit about a guitar idea I had. The details don't matter much but there was more than one mention of Ron Thorn. DirtyBob (long gone from here, but still a great guy) in particular coached me on the possibilities. Along the way, Leslie developed her own relationship with Ron, you know, just in case she needed something in the future.

Turns out, she found something she liked a lot. Its blue, so Sergio might not look close enough to call it a fake.
CK_329PPlaysArielHighView.jpg

Here is a closer look at the top. A pretty nice quilt. Cool little shell around the edges. DEEP blue. The real secret though is the electronics.
I've mentioned the controls in other threads from time to time. The bottom knob blends the neck or bridge pickup into the middle feed. Its surprising what you can do with it.
CK_370ArielTop.jpg

A closer look at the fingerboard inlays. FireSun is boss.
CK_371ArielFingerboard.jpg

Now...you might be wondering about the name. Take a look at the back.
CK_200PShowsArielBack.jpg

want a better look?
Ron is one of my two favourite inlay artists (Grit Laskin is the other).
CK_48ArielMermaid.JPG

Next, another acoustic. I had developed a fondness for smaller acoustics, and in particular 12 frets. If 12 frets is enough for a classical (my classical is by far my most played guitar), it seemed like it should be enough for steel strings.
CK_15TagOnKoaCropped.JPG

A really pretty guitar.
CK_21PShowsKoaAAA.JPG

CK_32KoaInlay.JPG

CK_438KoaBodyBack.JPG

It lives in a wall case in the library and is most likely to be played while others in the house are still asleep.

As spectacular as the guitar is, I'm sure the note is worth even more.

and then...a mystery and a treasure hunt
CK_260TeaserClue.jpg

A bit of background. 10ish years ago, I was hanging out with some mates in Indy and chatted a bit about a guitar idea I had. The details don't matter much but there was more than one mention of Ron Thorn. DirtyBob (long gone from here, but still a great guy) in particular coached me on the possibilities. Along the way, Leslie developed her own relationship with Ron, you know, just in case she needed something in the future.

Turns out, she found something she liked a lot. Its blue, so Sergio might not look close enough to call it a fake.
CK_329PPlaysArielHighView.jpg

Here is a closer look at the top. A pretty nice quilt. Cool little shell around the edges. DEEP blue. The real secret though is the electronics.
I've mentioned the controls in other threads from time to time. The bottom knob blends the neck or bridge pickup into the middle feed. Its surprising what you can do with it.
CK_370ArielTop.jpg

A closer look at the fingerboard inlays. FireSun is boss.
CK_371ArielFingerboard.jpg

Now...you might be wondering about the name. Take a look at the back.
CK_200PShowsArielBack.jpg

want a better look?
Ron is one of my two favourite inlay artists (Grit Laskin is the other).
CK_48ArielMermaid.JPG
It's the right shape, so, close enough for me!!!!!!!!!!!

And the grand finale.

A few years ago I saw Ron Thorn was taking an engraving class. I was intrigued and begged him to let me have the first guitar he engraved. He chuckled, we chatted and he said he would be in touch. Leslie, you see, had other ideas. This guitar is not for the feint of heart.

Here is an overview.
CK_E002_3.jpg

Here's a closer look at the engraving. Special covers on Ron's GT90s so that he could engrave over them.
Killer pickup by the way. I have them on a couple of guitars.
CK_DSCN2275.JPG

What? you want even more detail...
Ron told me that he kept on thinking he was finished, and then went back and added more detail. Look at all those tiny little lines.
CK_DSCN2277.JPG

And of course, being an inlay guy at heart, the fingerboard had to match.
CK_DSCN2278.JPG

This last detail is a single strip of silver bent around the guitar. Ron said this was so nerve wracking that he couldn't do it again.
CK_DSCN2288.JPG

I guess I should show you the whole guitar.
CK_E002_1.jpg

Ron made two of this style of guitar before shutting his shop down to join Fender. The other one was a pirate.
He then made one with Fender for NAMM with a Tarot theme - @Boogie hooked me up with photos of that one from the event.
This one is a serious blues machine and is what displaced the Archtop in the case of honour beside Leslie's baby grand.

Thanks for following along.

And the grand finale.

A few years ago I saw Ron Thorn was taking an engraving class. I was intrigued and begged him to let me have the first guitar he engraved. He chuckled, we chatted and he said he would be in touch. Leslie, you see, had other ideas. This guitar is not for the feint of heart.

Here is an overview.
CK_E002_3.jpg

Here's a closer look at the engraving. Special covers on Ron's GT90s so that he could engrave over them.
CK_DSCN2275.JPG

Ron told me that he kept on thinking he was finished, and then went back and added more detail. Look at all those tiny little lines.
CK_DSCN2277.JPG

CK_DSCN2278.JPG

This last detail is a single strip of silver bent around the guitar. Ron said this was so nerve wracking that he couldn't do it again.
CK_DSCN2288.JPG

CK_E002_1.jpg

Ron made two of this style of guitar before shutting his shop down to join Fender. The other one was a pirate.
He then made one with Fender for NAMM with a Tarot theme - @Boogie hooked me up with photos of that one from the event.
This one is a serious blues machine and is what displaced the Archtop in the case of honour beside Leslie's baby grand.

Absolutely spectacular workmanship!

And the grand finale.

Here is an overview.
CK_E002_3.jpg

CK_DSCN2275.JPG

CK_DSCN2277.JPG

CK_DSCN2278.JPG

CK_DSCN2288.JPG

CK_E002_1.jpg

Love this guitar

CK_15TagOnKoaCropped.JPG

A really pretty guitar.
CK_21PShowsKoaAAA.JPG

CK_32KoaInlay.JPG

CK_438KoaBodyBack.JPG

Beauty! I find my Koa 12 fret mellow as well.

Back