The gift of guitar

After buying the baby dragon, Leslie was a bit sad that I didn't buy a pretty little blue quilt guitar at that same Experience. Some time after the event, she called up the Moss Man and told him she needed a nice one piece quilt top turned into a baby blue guitar. This was before the days of wood library runs, and she didn't want to be responsible for a Private Stock. Still, sometimes good things happen to good people. Brent sent her this.
CK_SinglePieceBodyPreCutFromBrent.jpg

Pretty cool. She couldn't resist sending me the photo and I said I'd take anything made from that.
Faded blue seemed a bit too ordinary, so she thought it would be more fun to have grass stained blue jeans.
CK_BluegrassWoodToGuitar.JPG

a closer look at the top
CK_254BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

Since I hadn't picked up anything with a Brazilian rosewood neck at Experience (just a fingerboard), she thought some rosewood would be in order.
CK_244BluegrassHeadstockAAA.JPG

Brent liked the idea enough, he thought he might do a run of them later
CK_114BlueGrassSerial.JPG

full view of the neck
CK_IndianIndian.JPG

simple back
CK_112BlueGrassBodyBackAAA.JPG

Its basically a bootleg ME. 59/09 pickups work the charm in it.
Often used for midnight blues through the Boogie Mark III.
I really love this guitar!

Fast forward about 10 years.
Mrs and I were hanging out at Experience and she found a guitar she really liked. I thought it was pretty nice, but there were more guitars to see. She was pretty sure there wouldn't be another one like it. Turns out she was right. While I waffled, she whipped out her credit card and arranged to have it shipped.
This might be my favourite guitar to show tiny bits of, mostly to tease @sergiodeblanc
CK_045BabyDragonSilver.JPG

it has been called the baby dragon since it got home
CK_47BabyDragon.JPG

a no frills formula
CK_154BabyDragonBack.JPG

I didn't realize how long we've had those chairs and lamp - we like wood in the house
CK_49PTunesBabyDragon.JPG

The only guitar I keep the trem on.
By the way, she also bought that amp.
CK_WestieArcticScreamer.JPG

Such a beautiful guitar. They're all beautiful so far, but this Westie is special indeed.
Subscribed :cool:

This one has a fun tale, part of which I'll share here.

I was minding my own business one day when the Moss Man teased that he had a surprise coming. I said "Please don't tell me it's a burl hollowbody". It wasn't, but a couple of days later he sent some wood photos, including this.
CK_RawBurlMapleFromBrent.jpg

I thought it had to be the top of a guitar and felt the orientation should be inverted - so the flattish bit you see near the top would be around the bridge, thereby not hiding any of the character of the guitar. Something like this.
CK_160BurlHollowbodyLowerTopDetailAAA.JPG

The little face became much more prominent.
This put the obvious character of the wood above the bridge pickup.
CK_159BurlHollowbodyBodyAAA.JPG

I was quite excited by the flow of the grain in the top and bottom through the sides - mostly a happy accident, facilitated by the choice of a nice piece of mahogany for the middle.
CK_164BurlHoolwbodySide.JPG

The back has its own character and could have made an interesting top, but I like where it is.
CK_165BurlHollowbodyBodyBack.JPG

Ebony and ivory seemed the obvious choice for the fingerboard.
CK_MahoganyEbony.JPG

After Leslie and I finished helping with the design, we carried on about our business. That might have included acquiring a hollow body with a piezo and a nice burl guitar.
Regardless, when the guitar was finished, we went to the shop to see how it turned out. Pretty nice. Maybe the prettiest guitar I had seen until then.
CK_158BurlHollowbody.JPG

But, I had a hollowbody piezo, so that was covered. I had a nice burl, so that aesthetic was covered. I decided to give it a pass.
We took a walk down the street for a beverage and Leslie expressed the belief that having done such a nice job on the design, why should someone else have it.
So...she said "I'm buying it" and she did.

On the way home I mentioned that is was #13. She didn't think that was a good idea, so she held it for ransom until it could have a luckier position in the music room. I got it when I turned 20,000.

Next is a fake out
CK_138BirthdayPresentPart1.JPG

Nice art work and all, but it was an empty case. A nice paisley case for the blue guitar above that started life in a black case. It deserved better.
I was OK with that, but the good wife wasn't quite finished yet.
In comes an even bigger box.
CK_143LPresentPart2.JPG

I had noted some time earlier that my electric guitars had been significantly upgraded and my 30 year old acoustic might not be able to keep up.
CK_313TaylorNo1TopArmRest.JPG

Sitka top. Koa highlights. Laskin armrest (Taylor gave him credit for the idea, which was cool of him).
A better look at the ebony fingerboard.
CK_325TaylorNo1Fingerboard.JPG

and rosewood back and sides. A classic combination making for a highly articulate guitar.
CK_317TaylorNo1BackView.JPG

It currently lives inside a glass, humidity controlled case in the library.

Last edited:
Next, another acoustic. I had developed a fondness for smaller acoustics, and in particular 12 frets. If 12 frets is enough for a classical (my classical is by far my most played guitar), it seemed like it should be enough for steel strings.
First, the little note it came with
CK_15TagOnKoaCropped.JPG

A really pretty guitar.
CK_21PShowsKoaAAA.JPG

A closer look at the inlay. Simple, but elegant.
CK_32KoaInlay.JPG

and finish off with a peak at the back.
CK_438KoaBodyBack.JPG

This is a mellow guitar, but even its softest voice makes each note true.
It lives in a wall case in the library and is most likely to be played while others in the house are still asleep.

Back