The gift of guitar

DreamTheaterRules

Not falling for the banana in the tailpipe
Yum. I know PS is here to prove me wrong, but I’ve always chosen sound and playability over sheer looks. A special guitar is a special guitar…like this one. :cool:
Exactly how I feel. If one plays and sounds great, looks are secondary. But this one looks great! I think we get a little spoiled with some of the tops and stain jobs we see here sometimes. Rightfully so, but this is a beautiful guitar.

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
Fast forward about 10 years.
Mrs and I were hanging out at Experience and she found a guitar she really liked. I thought it was pretty nice, but there were more guitars to see. She was pretty sure there wouldn't be another one like it. Turns out she was right. While I waffled, she whipped out her credit card and arranged to have it shipped.
This might be my favourite guitar to show tiny bits of, mostly to tease @sergiodeblanc
CK_045BabyDragonSilver.JPG

it has been called the baby dragon since it got home
CK_47BabyDragon.JPG

a no frills formula
CK_154BabyDragonBack.JPG

I didn't realize how long we've had those chairs and lamp - we like wood in the house
CK_49PTunesBabyDragon.JPG

The only guitar I keep the trem on.
By the way, she also bought that amp.
CK_WestieArcticScreamer.JPG

dmatthews

Dave's not here...
Fast forward about 10 years.
Mrs and I were hanging out at Experience and she found a guitar she really liked. I thought it was pretty nice, but there were more guitars to see. She was pretty sure there wouldn't be another one like it. Turns out she was right. While I waffled, she whipped out her credit card and arranged to have it shipped.
This might be my favourite guitar to show tiny bits of, mostly to tease @sergiodeblanc
CK_045BabyDragonSilver.JPG

it has been called the baby dragon since it got home
CK_47BabyDragon.JPG

a no frills formula
CK_154BabyDragonBack.JPG

I didn't realize how long we've had those chairs and lamp - we like wood in the house
CK_49PTunesBabyDragon.JPG

The only guitar I keep the trem on.
By the way, she also bought that amp.
CK_WestieArcticScreamer.JPG
More proof you chose your life partner well... indeed.

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
Next up was another we had visited, but I decided not to get. I had been interested in an archtop for a while, but found most a bit cumbersome, kind of lost between being an electric size and an acoustic size. Leslie thought this one looked pretty good on me.
CK_20PPlaysArchtop.JPG

As a player, it looks more like this. The neck joint looks massive, but plays nicely.
CK_109PalyersArchtopView.JPG

Simple formula: mahogany sides and top and back carved inside and out. The carve is much more appealing to me than a laminate.
CK_127ArchtopSide.JPG

Top is ordinary. I'm fine with that. I like the colour a lot. Serial back in the 30ks means archtop pickups. I've never felt the need to change them.
CK_123Archtop.JPG

and the back for good measure.
CK_128ArchtopBackAAA.JPG

For a few years, I played this acoustically as a proxy for my classical while at my work location.
Then it lived in a place of honour in the wall case beside my wife's piano for a few years (until it got displaced by another of her purchases).
It deserved more love than it got from the world at large.

I came back for another look at this gorgeous HB. Heck you’re a lucky guy Peter, primarily for having such a great family, but also for your good lady’s stunning choice in guitars.

Mrs AR calls them my “twanging machines”:D

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
After buying the baby dragon, Leslie was a bit sad that I didn't buy a pretty little blue quilt guitar at that same Experience. Some time after the event, she called up the Moss Man and told him she needed a nice one piece quilt top turned into a baby blue guitar. This was before the days of wood library runs, and she didn't want to be responsible for a Private Stock. Still, sometimes good things happen to good people. Brent sent her this.
CK_SinglePieceBodyPreCutFromBrent.jpg

Pretty cool. She couldn't resist sending me the photo and I said I'd take anything made from that.
Faded blue seemed a bit too ordinary, so she thought it would be more fun to have grass stained blue jeans.
CK_BluegrassWoodToGuitar.JPG

a closer look at the top
CK_254BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

Since I hadn't picked up anything with a Brazilian rosewood neck at Experience (just a fingerboard), she thought some rosewood would be in order.
CK_244BluegrassHeadstockAAA.JPG

Brent liked the idea enough, he thought he might do a run of them later
CK_114BlueGrassSerial.JPG

full view of the neck
CK_IndianIndian.JPG

simple back
CK_112BlueGrassBodyBackAAA.JPG

Its basically a bootleg ME. 59/09 pickups work the charm in it.
Often used for midnight blues through the Boogie Mark III.

dmatthews

Dave's not here...
After buying the baby dragon, Leslie was a bit sad that I didn't buy a pretty little blue quilt guitar at that same Experience. Some time after the event, she called up the Moss Man and told him she needed a nice one piece quilt top turned into a baby blue guitar. This was before the days of wood library runs, and she didn't want to be responsible for a Private Stock. Still, sometimes good things happen to good people. Brent sent her this.
CK_SinglePieceBodyPreCutFromBrent.jpg

Pretty cool. She couldn't resist sending me the photo and I said I'd take anything made from that.
Faded blue seemed a bit too ordinary, so she thought it would be more fun to have grass stained blue jeans.
CK_BluegrassWoodToGuitar.JPG

a closer look at the top
CK_254BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

Since I hadn't picked up anything with a Brazilian rosewood neck at Experience (just a fingerboard), she thought some rosewood would be in order.
CK_244BluegrassHeadstockAAA.JPG

Brent liked the idea enough, he thought he might do a run of them later
CK_114BlueGrassSerial.JPG

full view of the neck
CK_IndianIndian.JPG

simple back
CK_112BlueGrassBodyBackAAA.JPG

Its basically a bootleg ME. 59/09 pickups work the charm in it.
Often used for midnight blues through the Boogie Mark III.
The neck... I mean the top is to die for, but the neck is like the cherry on top. Killer.