The Forum Guitar

So would "no inlays" be a CNC change? I really just can't remember off the top of my head...

...or is it a matter of skipping a step? Seriously...there aren't many without inlays out in the wild.

I would guess that the inlays are part of the program on the "Core" production lines for fretboards. They are typically all the same inlays & it would make sense to machine those at the same time as fret slots. I do not know these to be a fact, but it makes sense from a production standpoint.

I'm not certain, but I think they are still done separately, the inlay holes on CNC and the fret slots cut on ganged drum saws.

PPS has saws set up for each of their usual scale lengths. They look like this one:

pic1390.jpg

Can someone confirm if this is a Non-CNC change or not; cause I'm pretty sure it's not. Shawn's employee guitar video clearly shows a fret-board with only the birds inlay pockets cut (no fret slots, etc.):

So unless there is some kind of rough radius applied to the board during the inlay CNC operation I really do think it's a matter of skipping a step.

I admire Bill for wanting to take this project on. He’s a great guy and a hard working representative of this forum’s interests.

It’s easy to see that when all is said and done, though, this is a pretty tall order. None of the folks here are going to part with their hard-earned guitar funds unless they get something they individually truly want.

There’s nothing wrong with that. Seems to me, the choice of musical instrument for a serious player certainly ought to be the subject of careful consideration, and as much individual thought as possible.

So I’m not criticizing. That’s exactly how I’d feel, too.

It’s also a reflection on the individuality and independence of the folks who love PRS guitars. Recognizing the character of their customer is probably one reason that PRS offers lots of choices in models, colors, and other options. How can a collective decision possibly satisfy anything but a small minority of this group? From what I’ve observed over the last 6 years or so, this is a group that takes every little detail VERY seriously. ;)

There are those who, rightly, think an instrument that represents the aspirations and solidarity of this forum is a great idea. Despite the seeming contradiction, I agree with them. It’d be awesome!

I say again: I admire Bill for wanting to do this.

By the same token, it’s an impractical idea. There are a lot of chefs in this kitchen, and they have a lot of opinions, desires, and want individual input on baking this cake, including all the ingredients.

Consider how long it took to accomplish something as simple as a forum truss rod cover. Multiply that by a googleplex, and you have what we have here.

If someone simply spec’d a model, and offered it to the members, a few might really want it! But to agree in advance on a collective custom guitar?

You’re going to have to get any proposal through our local party members, afterward to the central committee of those who remain willing, then to the politburo composed of those who make a commitment, and finally to the powers that be for the final yea or nay.

That’s a thankless task.

Can someone confirm if this is a Non-CNC change or not; cause I'm pretty sure it's not. Shawn's employee guitar video clearly shows a fret-board with only the birds inlay pockets cut (no fret slots, etc.):

So unless there is some kind of rough radius applied to the board during the inlay CNC operation I really do think it's a matter of skipping a step.
@Shawn@PRS ”you got your owl?....”

Great video, they are some precision cut inlay routs!

If its a case of NOT changing the inlays, certainly in shape at least, why not have a special 'bird' at the 12th - maybe just a different colour bird to match the body colour for example - fire red and a red bird on the 12th. Even if you had Forum on a Truss Cover or other removable part, it would still be obvious by the different colour bird at the 12th.

Depending on how far you want or can go, you could have all the Birds in the whole rainbow of colours. Its not going to cost PRS any more as the necks will still be cut for birds, they already have the birds cut too so its just a case of dropping in the coloured birds instead...

OK, There seems to be some support for either doing no inlays or substituting a contrasting (same shape) inlay at the 12th fret, so I asked.

Both ideas are interesting and appealing, but the answer is no.

sorry.

Also, the price point is fairly well set around the mid $4k mark for a WL run. That's assuming we use non-upcharge materials. Note that there are LOTS of really cool non-upcharge choices in the WL. Note also that we cannot discuss exact pricing here. IF we get that far, you will discuss pricing directly with the dealer.

We'll get to the model and materials polls soon.

Last edited:
Back