The Forum Guitar

I have mixed feelings on the forum guitar, but I do think it's an interesting experiment and wish all those involved the absolute best.

If I were to again try and make a forum guitar happen I'd probably find something else to spend my time on that I could control and deliver at a price point that everyone could act on and be a part of without any hassle. A forum branded TRC, an official shirt, or some other enthusiast themed merchandise.

If a guitar gets its picture taken and that picture is posted on the forum, to me, that's a forum guitar.

Last edited:
Sigh. I feel sorry for @rugerpc , he has opened Pandora's box.

In general, I would be interested in pretty well anything that becomes the "final design" (if we ever get there).

I'd love a SC594-based design because I feel that is a gaping hole in my PRS collection right now, but I'd also love anything else, as long as it was coherent.

I see no point in speccing out something I can configure from a typical Artist Package, or is likely to be a WL run at some point, like a semi-hollow SC594 with quilt top and something other than IRW fretboard. (Hint hint to any dealers out there.)

I do like the idea of a Paul's Guitar (based on current Exp Ltd Run) with something on the neck heel. I was tempted by the Exp Ltd Paul's Guitar, but the color did not speak to me. Maybe something in River Blue or Vintage Yellow?

Maybe starting with a specific model or three as our only choices, and then exploring what can be done via WL with each of them, would be a better way? Something like:

SC or regular 594 (semi-hollow or solid)
Paul's
CU24

Then list out possible wood choices that could apply to all three, or maybe only one:

FB choices of Ziricote, Ebony, and something else not Dalbergia.
Body wood of Mahogany (insert special variety), Swamp Ash, or Black Limba/Korina
Neck wood would be selected based on FB and body woods - maybe just more hog, or flamed maple, or Korina

Yep, this is hard. You have chosen a very interesting challenge, Bill!

The coolest thing about PRS to me is that it has so many offerings to so many different kind of musicians. I am in love with th CU24. Others love a fat 22 fret chunky necked guitar. The brand is so inclusive and diverse, that I agree it will be tough to get prople to agree on one set of specs... i think the limited edition TRC that could go on anyones guitar is a cool idea... maybe something unique on the outside with pauls signature on the inside? This would also let the forum members who cant afford a WL get in on the action too...

FWIW, I'm not a believer in design by committee. You end up with something that has elements most everyone likes, but the whole is something nobody will love.

I don't know if this is possible, but I think a more tractable solution would be:
  • Have a dealer (or two depending on demand) claim a number of Wood Library spots
  • The dealer chooses the woods. If you don't like their wood selection, then you don't order.
  • The buyer chooses the model and features from the catalog
  • If possible a run of "PRS Forum" truss rod covers are made by PRS or a third party if PRS can't/won't do the truss rod covers.
The wood selections are special since they are WL choices. The people who order get the guitar they want. The truss rod covers identify the guitar as a special instrument, but it's something that can be replaced with a standard piece if necessary.

I've been through this before on another forum. In the end everyone got exactly the guitar they wanted, but the manufacturer (in this case Taylor) said they would never, ever do it again. The only way to make this happen without driving everyone (us and PRS) nuts is to limit the selection and keep things as production friendly as possible.

Alder/Maple Artist top (quilt or flame) Santana (24 of course) with a 58/15 and a P90. 4 available colors, phase 3 tuners, IRW fretboard and headstock veneer. Hand written PRS sig instead of the corporate logo. Forum TRC. Numbered. COA. Paisley case.
What I want!!! I'm in for this!

Breaking news...

If I can get this done, the model and the specs will be what I and the dealers I'm working with can get PRS to agree to. I will try for some options, but these things are NOT going to be Christmas trees that you can decorate however you want.

It is by no means a done deal. There is ONE (really, just one) significant stumbling block. We're working on it.

I return you to your speculations...

I think it's obvious that everybody wants something like this:

j5_guitars2_FEAT.jpg

I got no skin in the game because it's highly unlikely I would buy, but how about a Santana Retro-Retro? A nod to pre-factory style but with all the modern advancements PRS have made.

Start with the existing Santana Retro, with a few tweaks
All mahogany with satin finish
Or maybe a unique top wood if they have something stashed away?
Old school abalone birds and keep the body stripes for subtle bling
Ziricote fretboard for some wood bling and CITES friendly
You already get an eagle on the headstock, so maybe a unique truss rod cover and inscription on the back of the headstock?
Keep the colors natural, like pre-factory guitars
You guys can fight over pickups, but 57/08 seem the most universally liked

That would be a cool guitar. It would be rare, but not too dear, so you can stash it and keep it pristine or play the hell out of it and gather a nice patina.

I got no skin in the game because it's highly unlikely I would buy, but how about a Santana Retro-Retro? A nod to pre-factory style but with all the modern advancements PRS have made.

Start with the existing Santana Retro, with a few tweaks
All mahogany with satin finish
Or maybe a unique top wood if they have something stashed away?
Old school abalone birds and keep the body stripes for subtle bling
Ziricote fretboard for some wood bling and CITES friendly
You already get an eagle on the headstock, so maybe a unique truss rod cover and inscription on the back of the headstock?
Keep the colors natural, like pre-factory guitars
You guys can fight over pickups, but 57/08 seem the most universally liked

That would be a cool guitar. It would be rare, but not too dear, so you can stash it and keep it pristine or play the hell out of it and gather a nice patina.

Like a Korina Limited Limited?

Back