The Forum Guitar

Weeeellllllll....since I'm seeing a lots of "not possible"s...(and I'm not complaining)...what about an SE...? Would be available to way more folks. Just a thought...choose unique finish/color, hardware, woods(?), ...like a unique "one" ??
And that wouldn't put more pressure on the already stretched schedule in the factory.

I, yes, I, have come up with the PERFECT solution to this problem. There is one PRS guitar that EVERYONE needs. One that stands as one of the greatest guitars ever made AND is definitely a players guitar, not an art piece to hang up and drool over. It has probably the best neck ever. It has probably the best pickups ever. Did that give it away? Should have!

The Forum Guitar should be an NF3F! Maple Pattern Regular neck and BIRDS! Affordable, phenomenal guitar. And if you want to do varying runs of 10, you could do one with a 59/09 or \M/ in the bridge. Maybe a Swamp Ash body for something a little different. Maybe not.

Or, a Silver Sky but with the Pattern Regular neck just like my NF3 has.

Or.... if you really want to break The Gear Page.... a Silver Sky HSS! 57/08 bridge, Mayers neck and middle.

Or, a Silver Sky but with the Pattern Regular neck just like my NF3 has.

Or.... if you really want to break The Gear Page.... a Silver Sky HSS! 57/08 bridge, Mayers neck and middle.
Oh man, that would be an awesome guitar, and I would love to see the Internet implode via the expected TGP response...

(I like TGP, used to go there a lot until it was blocked at work, now I visit rarely, only if I think of stuff at home. But the site is just ever so slightly full of stereotypical behaviors...)

I, yes, I, have come up with the PERFECT solution to this problem. There is one PRS guitar that EVERYONE needs. One that stands as one of the greatest guitars ever made AND is definitely a players guitar, not an art piece to hang up and drool over. It has probably the best neck ever. It has probably the best pickups ever. Did that give it away? Should have!

The Forum Guitar should be an NF3F! Maple Pattern Regular neck and BIRDS! Affordable, phenomenal guitar. And if you want to do varying runs of 10, you could do one with a 59/09 or \M/ in the bridge. Maybe a Swamp Ash body for something a little different. Maybe not.

I would rather have a CE24 than a NF3 and certainly don't NEED a NF3 either. Its one of the furthest removed from PRS as far as I am concerned and I would want a 'forum' guitar to be archetypal PRS. If it can't be a CU24 (for example) with some special inlay on the birds or a 'removable' part like the truss rod cover, I still want it to be a PRS designed guitar with their unique body shape rather than a strat copy with some horrible plastic scratch plate too.Don't really like bolt on necks or dot inlays either....

I would never say that their core guitars are to be hung on a wall and drooled over as they are also very high quality instruments first and foremost that also happen to be stunning looking guitars. If you are buying it to hang on a wall, that's your choice but they were built first and foremost to be played!

Each to their own of course...

I would rather have a CE24 than a NF3 and certainly don't NEED a NF3 either. Its one of the furthest removed from PRS as far as I am concerned and I would want a 'forum' guitar to be archetypal PRS. If it can't be a CU24 (for example) with some special inlay on the birds or a 'removable' part like the truss rod cover, I still want it to be a PRS designed guitar with their unique body shape rather than a strat copy with some horrible plastic scratch plate too.Don't really like bolt on necks or dot inlays either....

I would never say that their core guitars are to be hung on a wall and drooled over as they are also very high quality instruments first and foremost that also happen to be stunning looking guitars. If you are buying it to hang on a wall, that's your choice but they were built first and foremost to be played!

Each to their own of course...

Just curious. Have you ever played an NF3?

Just curious. Have you ever played an NF3?

Nope and I haven't played a Silver Sky or a Suhr strat either for that matter and yet I still know that I don't want one. I couldn't care less how well they play, I have PRS guitars with with superb necks and 10" fretboard radius so I can predict how these feel. I have heard them too but that isn't enough to warrant a purchase - I would rather buy a guitar that plays well and isn't so ice-picky in tone as well as doesn't look like a cheap strat copy. I would rather buy a Gibson or even an Epiphone Les Paul than any guitar that looks like 'Fender' made it and someone else bolted their neck or headstock on instead.

As I said, each to their own but I will NEVER buy any Fender looking guitar - whether its made by them or not, never buy a guitar where half of it is covered by a cheap looking scratch plate and very unlikely to buy any guitar with dot inlays on the neck either. Call me superficial if you want but I want my guitars to look good too and I have never liked fenders strat shape, never liked scratch plates or dot inlays either and would rather find 'alternative' guitars to give strat/tele tones IF I had to.

As such, I haven't played a NF3 or Silver Sky and have absolutely NO desire to ever play a NF3 or Silver Sky. I would rather own a SE24 to even the S2 Mira or Standard series because of the scratch plates, dot inlays. To reiterate, each to their own of course but I will NEVER own or want a 'Strat' regardless of what name is on the Headstock!

EDIT: Incidentally, before you accuse me of one of those people who criticised PRS for 'copying' Fender, I certainly haven't ever done so. It makes sense for PRS to make the guitar that JM wanted, in the shape he wanted etc - especially as a PRS artist BUT they are NOT for me - regardless!!!

Well I was just having fun, but hey, to each his own. I've never played a SS, but the NF3 is one of the greatest guitars ever made, so if you choose to make all the "cheap strat copy" comments rather than try one, I can only say, "your loss." But again, to each his own. Play what you like.

Well I was just having fun, but hey, to each his own. I've never played a SS, but the NF3 is one of the greatest guitars ever made, so if you choose to make all the "cheap strat copy" comments rather than try one, I can only say, "your loss." But again, to each his own. Play what you like.

This just shows how peoples opinion differ as I would have a very different top 5 'best' guitars ever made. I never said it was a 'cheap strat copy' but that it is a strat copy with characteristics associated with cheap guitars - Bolt on neck with dot inlays and plastic looking scratch plates. Its no different from the 'expensive' custom shop fenders either or Silver Sky in a lot of ways but if you want to save 'costs', make a bolt on neck with dot inlays instead of more ornate designs like 'Birds' for example. If I was having a guitar built for me, it would not be a bolt on neck, certainly wouldn't have dot inlays and under no circumstances a scratch plate either. I certainly wouldn't copy the fender strat (or tele, jazzmaster or jaguar) body shape either.

For a PRS 'forum' guitar, I would also want, expect even, that the guitar would be classic PRS in shape, set neck and have the 'bird' inlays - things that are synonymous with PRS - something that regardless of who you are, you will instantly recognise as PRS without having to see the headstock. I really don't think anyone would be against that because its 'typical PRS'. Its why I would rather own a non-US built PRS because it still looks like a PRS - not a fender!

The NF3 had the same 10" radius and I believe same carve as the Pattern Regular so it's going to feel like any other PRS with the Pattern Regular carve. I can't see how it can be more playable than a CU24 for example and even had a longer scale length - albeit by quarter of an inch. Better than a Strat maybe with their 25.5" scale length as it fits half way between that and a CU24. I have a PRS with a Pattern Regular neck and 25.25" scale length - its the PRS 509 and that looks like a PRS too! I can pretty much 'guess' how playable a NF3 would be - still prefer the PRS shape, birds etc...

As I said, each to their own but I will NEVER buy any Fender looking guitar - whether its made by them or not, never buy a guitar where half of it is covered by a cheap looking scratch plate and very unlikely to buy any guitar with dot inlays on the neck either. Call me superficial if you want but I want my guitars to look good too and I have never liked fenders strat shape, never liked scratch plates or dot inlays either and would rather find 'alternative' guitars to give strat/tele tones IF I had to.

Yeah, but tell us how you REALLY feel. :)

I’d say that was a pretty good rant over something that has zero chance of happening! ;)

Last edited:
This just shows how peoples opinion differ as I would have a very different top 5 'best' guitars ever made. I never said it was a 'cheap strat copy' but that it is a strat copy with characteristics associated with cheap guitars - Bolt on neck with dot inlays and plastic looking scratch plates. Its no different from the 'expensive' custom shop fenders either or Silver Sky in a lot of ways but if you want to save 'costs', make a bolt on neck with dot inlays instead of more ornate designs like 'Birds' for example. If I was having a guitar built for me, it would not be a bolt on neck, certainly wouldn't have dot inlays and under no circumstances a scratch plate either. I certainly wouldn't copy the fender strat (or tele, jazzmaster or jaguar) body shape either.

For a PRS 'forum' guitar, I would also want, expect even, that the guitar would be classic PRS in shape, set neck and have the 'bird' inlays - things that are synonymous with PRS - something that regardless of who you are, you will instantly recognise as PRS without having to see the headstock. I really don't think anyone would be against that because its 'typical PRS'. Its why I would rather own a non-US built PRS because it still looks like a PRS - not a fender!

The NF3 had the same 10" radius and I believe same carve as the Pattern Regular so it's going to feel like any other PRS with the Pattern Regular carve. I can't see how it can be more playable than a CU24 for example and even had a longer scale length - albeit by quarter of an inch. Better than a Strat maybe with their 25.5" scale length as it fits half way between that and a CU24. I have a PRS with a Pattern Regular neck and 25.25" scale length - its the PRS 509 and that looks like a PRS too! I can pretty much 'guess' how playable a NF3 would be - still prefer the PRS shape, birds etc...

I get it, but you should really check out the NF pick ups. Some of the best ever. I get your dislike for the pick guard as I am not all that keen on them either. If you get a chance to play a Paul's Guitar you'll get an idea about the NF pickups as I believe the Paul's pickups are variants of the NF. Someone correct me if I am way off base.

When I wanted an NF3 but not a pickguard, I did this.
CK_193SpaltBodyDarkAAA.JPG

hey look, someone said “make it a Players Guitar.” I ran with it.

And Mr. Mozzi, with all due respect, you DON’T know what the NF3 neck feels like until you’ve played one. They aren’t like any of my other PRS on the neck finish and it’s incredible. And hey, I also get it. You’re a fancy guy. Maybe the kind of guy who’d never be caught dead in a new Chevy or Buick or Toyota, when a new Benz can get you to work just fine. I get it. I do. But if I didn’t love my wife so much, I may actually say in public that of the 4 PRS guitars I own, the 3 she bought me are 3 beautiful fancy guitars and all three of them are GREAT instruments of the highest quality. But the NF3 which I bought myself may be the best overall guitar I’ve ever played.

I’ve moaned like a little sissy about it for two years that I wish it had birds. That is THE PRS THING to me. But I don’t give a crap about bolt on when it’s done right. My JP12 BFR is bolt on and it’s a thoroughbread as well. I’ve even learned to live with plane white paint, boring dots and NO BIRDS because the guitar just plays, feels and SOUNDS incredible, and incredibly versatile! Telling you point blank, that guitar and an Archon could do ANY GIG EVER and do it better than any other single guitar I’ve heard. Enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back