The "Forum" Guitar

I would like to see it come in at around $2500, which brings me to a question. If PRS does agree, do we work through a store or do they have another way to get past the wholesaler issue?
I have some ideas on the purchase path if we get any momentum.
I agree with your target price. In my mind I was wanting to contain the package between $2000 & $3500, and ideally on the lower end of that to make it more accessible.

Not being a card holder but an avid visitor to the forum I would say this is where I would fall in to I guess. I have been following this thread closely and I am liking the all the ideas but not sure about the DC body only becuse I have never played one. I do like the idea of 59/09's with Sig switching it is an amazing idea and one that I had in mind for my dream private stock.:D

Either way I like where this is going and would definately be interested if it happens :top:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44254 said:
That's why a poker theme with custom truss rod covers (for your actual card) makes sense. Plus, people who are card holders might not want one. Conversely, people who are NOT card holder might want one.

Ok I think I shouldn't be typing when I wake up first thing in the moring :coffee: When I say DC body shape I was talking about the Santana body ( haven't ever played one before )

If this is going to be a true 'forum' guitar then it has to remain accessible to a good number of forum members around the world.

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

There's a danger this could become too exclusive?

Last edited:
If this is going to be a true 'forum' guitar then it has to remain accessible to a good number of forum members around the world.

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be one something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

At over $2500 I'd probably be out - I just can't justify it at this time - I have a wedding to pay for!

At over $2500 I'd probably be out - I just can't justify it at this time - I have a wedding to pay for!

I'd hope we'd be able to keep it in the price range of a regular USA PRS. if it goes PS that would put it out of range for most of us....

I agree, I think the price needs to be in the $2000 - $2500 or only a few will be able to play. Those that want to be in on it but can't swing the price should be able to get the TRC which is the same as on the guitar.

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be one something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

I too would like an option of an SE version. I also like the idea of the custom knobs, plates, and TRC. Maybe in an effort to make this something that any forum member could do with ANY guitar, we could come up with a custom hardware package of some kind, and have the guitars sent out from Maryland with that stuff already on, and also available as an aftermarket package if people want to go that route.

The first, ever, limited edition SE? Seems more cost prohibitive to have it done overseas than to have it done in Maryland (unless you were making thousands of them). There's a great deal of back and forth discussion and prototyping that goes with foreign production - especially on complicated products like a properly made guitar.

I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to get 50 people to sign up for a "forum" guitar. Could be wrong though. Seems like info we could easily get from a well written poll - should someone be interested in creating it.

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44495 said:
The first, ever, limited edition SE? Seems more cost prohibitive that have it done in Maryland unless you were making thousands of them. There's a great deal of back and forth discussion and prototyping that goes with oversea's production on complicated products like a properly made guitar.

I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to get 50 people to sign up for a "forum" guitar. Could be wrong though. Seems like info we could easily get from a well written poll - should someone be interested in creating it.

Hey, we all have dreams ;) I totally agree that anything too "outside the box" would be difficult to do an overseas run. I'm thinking more like the recent UK run of Bernie's with 53/10's. Something with upgraded pickups, maybe a quilt top and/or special run finish, but still a stock SE model underneath.

I didn't get in on the cards (didn't know if anyone would be interested in what I have to say, after all, I'm "JustRob") but I am interested in the Forum guitar idea.
Seems like a lot of different desires and conditions to be met might take some time to sort.
Maybe a Forum Strap, with the 52 cards and Jokers might be faster, although the highly prized Paisley Strap seems to be taking it's time also. :biggrin:

I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think? :p

I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think? :p

That is an interesting alternative.

What might make this idea even more interesting is if the PTC would be willing to retrofit existing PRS guitars with the Forum Headstock..including the signature and TRC....so that those members who can't afford to take the plunge on a new guitar would be able to have their existing guitar retrofitted.

I really like the 24.5 westy direction.
Before checking the updates I was thinking of black or red a the colour options - solid colour implies less fussy about the top wood, which suggests lower cost and they are card colours.
But upon reading, I quite like a mahogany/sappele top. They look good, sound great and there are few enough for them that they look special.

I could go for the brush stroke birds as well. I am warming to them.

I am as well.

Things that are absolute deal breakers for me:
  • some "forum guitar" inlay on the fingerboard
  • signatures on the guitar (other than the back of the headstock)
  • bolt-on neck (unless it's ash body/maple neck)
  • thin neck

Things that are not too appealing but if the rest of the specs are ok I may still do it:
  • special forum headstock - I'd have to see it first
  • 408 pickups - I've got 3 guitars with them already
  • piezo bridge - I've got 3 guitars with piezo already

Things I don't care about:
  • inlays - all of the PRS inlays are fine with me
  • maple top - all mahogany is fine with me
  • neck woods - I'm good with pretty much any classic combination of neck/fingerboard woods - mahogany seems like a good choice to keep the cost down
  • bridge - trem or hard tail are both fine with me

I'm jonesing for the brushstroke birds. To help keep the cost down and still be unique as a "forum" guitar, how about just one brushstroke bird at the 12th fret?

I'm jonesing for the brushstroke birds. To help keep the cost down and still be unique as a "forum" guitar, how about just one brushstroke bird at the 12th fret?

Contrary to popular belief, it would probably cost more to create something like that compared to something that already has a CNC program.

If they are planning doing even a small run of 'Paul's Guitar', i'm thinking that they will digitize the brushstroak birds and CNC them.

Then to do just one instead of 10 or 11, they delete programming and use less materials and less man-hours to install them.

Back