The "Forum" Guitar

"This is a project we've worked on for months."

We??? We???

How 'bout you wait and see how this shakes out before getting all butt hurt? If this actually happens, don't you think they'll add to the # if they can pre sell them?

I guess the old adage is right... No good deed goes unpunished...

Hell, I was out at a Bat Mitzvah last night and missed it, too... Life goes on...

Jamie

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

Bennett, really? Seriously? It's a guitar, not a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet Rick Astley. Tell you what, if they don't open up any more spots, you can have mine. That way I'll get it cheaper when you flip it in a few months :tongue:

My remarks are interpolated within the above quoted post. I know I may be coming off like a spoiled child but...this is for all the people who are afraid to speak up for whatever reason for fear of counter-attack or reprisal in some manner...this post is for the "silent minority"...But seriously....again...after the collective effort expended in following the revisions....providing support....ensuring sufficient critical mass....I would hope that common sense prevails and that this guitar is opened up to any forum member who wants to provide a deposit.

I don't want to speak for Hans, but I think he put up the number 25 assuming that would be safely in excess of the number of folks that would be seriously interested. That being said, this is a place full of good people, and I have to believe that no one wants this limited to 25 just for the sake of exclusivity when that means blocking out a legitimate long time member. I would think that a number 26 can and should be made for a gent like yourself, who has been seriously following and contributing. So let's all just be cool.

And, for the annoying, irritating I'm sure, side note... I want an SE version. C'mon guys, I'm paying 60 G's year for grad school! :'( But really, Santana SE with a custom color, stoptail, maybe some USA pickups... That's not too crazy, and others have expressed interest.

Bennet, I understand your frustration, but I do believe if this thing comes into reality more will get a chance to jump on. With all the grief Hans put into this, 25 was a realistic number because of who would actually commit. No more than 18 had committed to previous Revs, so I believe the premise of 25 was liberal. Hans left the dooor open for more to get on. He just wanted to get something done and get this show on the road, and walk the walk after all the talk if you will. I beleive if PRS likes this it will be big hit and we might hit 50 units instead of 25. If not, it is also reasonable that others might bail out for whatever reason. That said, I feel confident you are not out. PEACE!

Here is a variation of a post I sent to a moderator.....Please understand....my bitterness is based on the concept of INCLUSION vs. Exclusion. Excerpt from a post I sent someone else...it converys my thoughts and emotions.

Again......I agree with everything you've said. But this "complaint" merely addresses the concept of "gates closed". I agree that a ton of effort was expended in developing this concept. so..it is ironic that after so much time and effort, you are apparently limiting the number of guitars available to us forum members. I could see refusing to sell more than 1 to a member (I was going to buy two...with different bridges) to avoid the re-sell on the aftermarket. that makes sense. You don't want to dilute the exclusivity of this guitar.

But...how can you turn away dedicated and loyal members of this forum who were involved in the planning and development.... due to an "artificial limit" of number of guitars....and an artificial "time-frame" for getting on-line and agreeing to buy-in? I would hope that you would open the doors up to anyone who wants to commit via a deposit. Please don't exclude those of us who for whatever reason were not "on-line" last night, and consequently "couldn't get on line".

I thank you in advance for considering my comments. These comments are made in the spirit of INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION.

Hi Bennett,

instead of you sending me PM's and then re-stating everything in your posts, I'll just reply here.

First let me say this is Hans' baby. He's the one who initiated the idea and the one who worked to get it to this point. I'm just a bystander like everyone else, however I can shed a little light on the subject using my experience with PRS.

As I stated to you earlier, the first three Rev's of the Forum guitar received very little traction. Almost everyone said "Make this change" or "make that change", which is fine, but it makes it hard to move forward on a project when folks can't agree on the specs. I'm speaking for Hans here, so if I'm wrong Hans, please correct me. After 3 versions of this guitar received luke warm reaction, Hans finally said "This is it, if you want in then speak up now". Considering the lack of commitment to the previous three Rev's, I don't think anyone would have guessed this one would have been so successful. Some may have even questioned whether 25 folks would even step up given the chance.

As for turning away buyers, that is the nature of a limited run. If it was open ended, it wouldn't be limited at all, it would be a production model. It's the age old story of supply and demand.

I am nothing but excited that 25 people could agree on an idea. Yesterday I intercepted a call from a friend to our dealer and went on record as being skeptical that it could come together soon. I was wrong. I am glad I was wrong.

As for turning away buyers, that is the nature of a limited run. If it was open ended, it wouldn't be limited at all, it would be a production model. It's the age old story of supply and demand.

+1, and well-stated, Shawn.

I remember when the Millennium Dragon was introduced at NAMM. It was a limited run and once they were gone, they were gone. They sold out in about an hour.

Exactly what I've been thinking. 3 other revs, none of them any more or less magical than rev 4 (except 3, \m/ would have been magical to me), languished below 18 committed. There was definitely a psychology at play in the presentation of rev 4 that finally broke the barrier. I don't know Hans' mind. Maybe he'd be open to a run of 30, or whatever the total commitment is, maybe not. But I bet if rev 4 was presented as rev 1 through 3, we'd still be waiting for the number to reach 20.

No comparison Steve. The guitar you are referencing was never a "guitar by committee" with an invitation for dealers to assist in spec'ing out the run.

Apples and oranges.

Disagree. My point is about the nature and reason behind limited runs. Perhaps Paul's 28 should have been a "Paul's whoever wants one."

I want this to be open to those forum members who made a commitment to this project before last night's deadline.

The only deadline was getting 25 people to step up. Considering no more than 16-18 people stepped up to any of the earlier Rev's, who would have thought 25 would have been gobbled up so quickly?

I've made my point...now I promise to shut up and just see what happens.

OK, you promised

I don't think my comments are "nonsense" at all. And I hope that "expressing viewpoints that are in the minority" are not discouraged out of fear of the consequences.

All I am saying is that you were heard and I really think you will get your chance. I did not want to see this go off the rails. Hans says it wont so his word is good with me. Be cool Bennet, ("you promised"). It is going to work out!

I don't think my comments are "nonsense" at all. And I hope that "expressing viewpoints that are in the minority" are not discouraged out of fear of the consequences.

SO glad I'm not in the minority....

I wish I could've grabbed one too...but you know what, sometimes life happens. Time to move on.

Back