The "Forum" Guitar

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©, Jan 24, 2013.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

Cheers all!

Boy am I glad I checked the forums on my cell phone tonight!

2. Brian

Brian New Member

As somebody who was unable to commit, I'm looking forward to pics!

3. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

"This is a project we've worked on for months."

We??? We???

How 'bout you wait and see how this shakes out before getting all butt hurt? If this actually happens, don't you think they'll add to the # if they can pre sell them?

I guess the old adage is right... No good deed goes unpunished...

Hell, I was out at a Bat Mitzvah last night and missed it, too... Life goes on...

Jamie

4. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS New Member

[​IMG]

5. hippietim

hippietim Not a new user...

Bennett, really? Seriously? It's a guitar, not a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet Rick Astley. Tell you what, if they don't open up any more spots, you can have mine. That way I'll get it cheaper when you flip it in a few months :tongue:

6. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I don't want to speak for Hans, but I think he put up the number 25 assuming that would be safely in excess of the number of folks that would be seriously interested. That being said, this is a place full of good people, and I have to believe that no one wants this limited to 25 just for the sake of exclusivity when that means blocking out a legitimate long time member. I would think that a number 26 can and should be made for a gent like yourself, who has been seriously following and contributing. So let's all just be cool.

And, for the annoying, irritating I'm sure, side note... I want an SE version. C'mon guys, I'm paying 60 G's year for grad school! :'( But really, Santana SE with a custom color, stoptail, maybe some USA pickups... That's not too crazy, and others have expressed interest.

7. hippietim

BTW the correct model designation should be REFG22.

8. Audie

Audie New Member

Bennet, I understand your frustration, but I do believe if this thing comes into reality more will get a chance to jump on. With all the grief Hans put into this, 25 was a realistic number because of who would actually commit. No more than 18 had committed to previous Revs, so I believe the premise of 25 was liberal. Hans left the dooor open for more to get on. He just wanted to get something done and get this show on the road, and walk the walk after all the talk if you will. I beleive if PRS likes this it will be big hit and we might hit 50 units instead of 25. If not, it is also reasonable that others might bail out for whatever reason. That said, I feel confident you are not out. PEACE!

9. hippietim

You send it to me.

10. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Hi Bennett,

instead of you sending me PM's and then re-stating everything in your posts, I'll just reply here.

First let me say this is Hans' baby. He's the one who initiated the idea and the one who worked to get it to this point. I'm just a bystander like everyone else, however I can shed a little light on the subject using my experience with PRS.

As I stated to you earlier, the first three Rev's of the Forum guitar received very little traction. Almost everyone said "Make this change" or "make that change", which is fine, but it makes it hard to move forward on a project when folks can't agree on the specs. I'm speaking for Hans here, so if I'm wrong Hans, please correct me. After 3 versions of this guitar received luke warm reaction, Hans finally said "This is it, if you want in then speak up now". Considering the lack of commitment to the previous three Rev's, I don't think anyone would have guessed this one would have been so successful. Some may have even questioned whether 25 folks would even step up given the chance.

As for turning away buyers, that is the nature of a limited run. If it was open ended, it wouldn't be limited at all, it would be a production model. It's the age old story of supply and demand.

11. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I am nothing but excited that 25 people could agree on an idea. Yesterday I intercepted a call from a friend to our dealer and went on record as being skeptical that it could come together soon. I was wrong. I am glad I was wrong.

12. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

+1, and well-stated, Shawn.

I remember when the Millennium Dragon was introduced at NAMM. It was a limited run and once they were gone, they were gone. They sold out in about an hour.

13. JustRob

JustRob Just a member

Exactly what I've been thinking. 3 other revs, none of them any more or less magical than rev 4 (except 3, \m/ would have been magical to me), languished below 18 committed. There was definitely a psychology at play in the presentation of rev 4 that finally broke the barrier. I don't know Hans' mind. Maybe he'd be open to a run of 30, or whatever the total commitment is, maybe not. But I bet if rev 4 was presented as rev 1 through 3, we'd still be waiting for the number to reach 20.

14. 11top

Disagree. My point is about the nature and reason behind limited runs. Perhaps Paul's 28 should have been a "Paul's whoever wants one."

15. 11top

^
    [​IMG]

#595 11top, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  16. Audie

Audie New Member

If all this nonsense keeps on, Hans might kill the whole thing.

17. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Der Hans der kann's

Nah. My word is good.

18. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

The only deadline was getting 25 people to step up. Considering no more than 16-18 people stepped up to any of the earlier Rev's, who would have thought 25 would have been gobbled up so quickly?

OK, you promised

19. Audie

Audie New Member

All I am saying is that you were heard and I really think you will get your chance. I did not want to see this go off the rails. Hans says it wont so his word is good with me. Be cool Bennet, ("you promised"). It is going to work out!

20. iahawk36

iahawk36 Prince of Paisley

SO glad I'm not in the minority....

I wish I could've grabbed one too...but you know what, sometimes life happens. Time to move on.