The "Forum" Guitar

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;71248 said:
I'm hearing that a lot. Rev 4 (the final Rev) will have more of a standard control layout.

The finish department won't do flake anymore. For anyone. I've begged. Not gunna happen.

Easy enough. I'll just send mine to STC.

Hans, Thank you for coming back on board, and JFB for getting his back and grabbing the torch!

That said. I think we are still close. Some considerations to keep the cost down and have the nice maple tops from REV 2 added to the REV 3 flavor could be using Swamp Ash instead of Hog, which should be cheaper than hog and that way maybe the maple cap can be back on the table. Or, to merrge Rev 2 and Rev 3, we could still go semi hollow on the swamp ash and make the f hole optional. These are not neccessarily my preferences but good ones to consider maybe to get the cost down and merge the theories of Rev 2 and Rev 3 into Rev 4 with the other suggested desires. Sorry i keep editing, I want to add that an all ash body is as good as all hog for those who dont want the cost of the maple option.

Last edited:
All good points. If we make a guitar that is a complete compromise, it won't do anything well - and might be pretty unattractive.

Rev 4 is in the pipe. It will be the last Rev. Once posted it will be a "Yes or No" discussion from there on out so if you have any last minute feedback, say it now.

One thing I can just about guarantee... the final version will sell fast and people who sit it out will be kicking themselves.

Say no more. i am in for #1 of Rev 4. What would be cool is to have them numbered following the serial number. Called my dealer and told him to standby. Where do I send the check!!!:eek:

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;71252 said:
All good points. If we make a guitar that is a complete compromise, it won't do anything well - and might be pretty unattractive.

Rev 4 is in the pipe. It will be the last Rev. Once posted it will be a "Yes or No" discussion from there on out so if you have any last minute feedback, say it now.

One thing I can just about guarantee... the final version will sell fast and people who sit it out will be kicking themselves.

Excited to see what Revision 4 has in store for us.

I think we need input from PRS on what the \m/ pups would do with an F-hole in the body. I'm guessing the pups are high output and an F-hole might not mix well.

I like rev 1,3 and 4 sounds good if it is 3 with regular control layout. We may need to see a poll on the 4 candidates and the options. Might be a complicated poll but it would be a good way to look at all that is being offered. If 4 is a variant of 3 I think it might be the ticket. There was a lot of excitement for the 408 wiring. We should find out if the \m/'s are going to be available and if they are compatible with 408 wiring. If not then the 408's might be the pups.

Hans, Thank you for coming back on board, and JFB for getting his back and grabbing the torch!

That said. I think we are still close. Some considerations to keep the cost down and have the nice maple tops from REV 2 added to the REV 3 flavor could be using Swamp Ash instead of Hog, which should be cheaper than hog and that way maybe the maple cap can be back on the table. Or, to merrge Rev 2 and Rev 3, we could still go semi hollow on the swamp ash and make the f hole optional. These are not neccessarily my preferences but good ones to consider maybe to get the cost down and merge the theories of Rev 2 and Rev 3 into Rev 4 with the other suggested desires. Sorry i keep editing, I want to add that an all ash body is as good as all hog for those who dont want the cost of the maple option.

Swamp ash would certainly be cool, but I don't know if it would actually bring the cost down. It is a wood that requires a little more labour when staining/finishing and all that. Either way, I would be in for REV2 or REV3....not even sure which I would vote for and with a REV4 on the way a poll with all 4 to get a concise count (for each revision) might be the way to go.

I was also thinking about a poll. Not sure if its too late, but I was about to try. List the details of the Rev. Vote yes or no. Leave comments only if there is a change that would turn your vote from no to yes to see what compromises can be reached. Very similar to what we are doing, but maybe easier to get a count. :dontknow: Also to see what it would take to get to 20. We are so close now at 15 or so. Maybe some small changes could pull in a few more.

Edit: I don't know how to create a poll. Saw the drop down for adding number of options, but didn't see how to label voting buttons. Anyone who wants to do it, feel free. I have some learnin' to do. :laugh:

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;71252 said:

I appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into the project thus far. It's been a great conversation and I'm glad to be a part of it - even if it's just to say "yes" to any one of these designs.

Like a few others, I'm in regardless of which version we go with. There's no way I would miss a forum guitar!:rock:

Before rev 4 gets posted I wanna say I vote for a standard body size....... I am way too big for a Santana or less than full size body, looks funny on me. After all the back and forth I want to say I will go with the flow on almost anything else but this. I do want to be a part of this special guitar run And will compromise on most specs but for me alone this would probably be a no go.

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder. Rev 4 is defined and the specs are locked in. It will be the last Rev for the 1st forum guitar. I will post the specs some time before bed.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;71288 said:
I don't want to steal anyone's thunder. Rev 4 is defined and the specs are locked in. It will be the last Rev for the 1st forum guitar. I will post the specs some time before bed.

That's what I am talking about! Lets get it on!!!

I called my dealer and told him to standby to order Rev 4. He thinks I am crazy. So count me down as #1 for Rev 4.
If dealers start calling PRS before they agree to anything, it could leave them with a bad taste - or even piss someone off. Please hold off. To make sure everyone understands... NOTHING HAS BEEN AGREED TO BY PRS.

No worries. To clarify, I referred to ordering the Rev 4 for purposes of the discussion here. I told him it what i was thinking about is just something being tossed around, did'nt mention which model even, much less what we are working on, and that I would call if it worked out. That is why he said I was crazy. I am confident he is not going to call on it cause he doesnt know what I want. Besides he wants me to pay off the other one first. We are all good. Thank you Hans for working on this. This is probably the first time I was interested in a guitar for collectable reasons as well as uniqueness. I unfortunately look at guitars more less as a precision tool or should I say instrument. We are all good. Your dedication to this mission is commendable.

Last edited:
Back