The "Forum" Guitar

I don't think it is up to the moderators. I think anybody who has been watching close enough to see a few choices that have a chance can throw up a poll. A poll that allowed multiple votes, where each vote meant "I would buy this" would let us see if we have a viable candidate.[/QUOTE]

total agree, I just mentioned the moderators so we could start somewhere.

Well, I think at the very least, we have a body shape down. We can start with that, and add options for bolt on or no. Maple or something else. And neck carve. Controls should be standard, and can be modified by the buyer after the fact. PUPs too.

DC22
Piezo

Now that the news is out, I wouldn't mind a P22 Trem. To make it a forum model, install the 408 pickups and offer four neck wood choices. The neck wood is not a deal breaker, btw.

I was really interested to see where this went after Chris's Paisley appeared. I thought an SE modded paisley might be in a price range accessible to more people, and generate the most interest. I was also surprised that there were only about 82 total votes on Forum TRC, so maybe the total number of Forum guitar buyers isn't too high either. :dontknow:

The problem is nobody has built a "dream board" yet. I'm an expert on the subject 'cause I watched "The Secret" on Netflix one night, if we really want to see the forum guitar happen somebody's gonna have to make one of these:
DownloadedFile_zps43ac008c.jpeg

I don't think it is up to the moderators. I think anybody who has been watching close enough to see a few choices that have a chance can throw up a poll. A poll that allowed multiple votes, where each vote meant "I would buy this" would let us see if we have a viable candidate.

total agree, I just mentioned the moderators so we could start somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I think you are on the right track. I am a member of the Seymour Duncan forum and there have been a number of "forum pickups" that were designed exclusively by the forum via polling and then made by the custom shop and sold at a discount for members. That method works with designing a pickup but I don't think it will with a guitar; the issue being the huge price discrepancy! There are so many factors that go into making a guitar desirable and thus, many deal breakers as well. With a pickup, or TRC, or T-shirt; maybe it isn't exactly what you wanted. Maybe you voted "high output" but the forum decided "vintage PAF". Many folks will still pony up and buy the item as $100 or $150 isn't a big deal. When we are talking $2000+ it is totally different story for all but a few. With polling specs on a guitar potential buyers will likely be lost with each successive poll. Now, I don't have any idea how many guaranteed buyers you would need for a forum guitar, but there seems to be a few here that are "in" regardless. Maybe Hans could chat with some of the guys that are "in" and throw a few ideas around. They could come up with 2 or 3 guitars spec'd up from ideas posted here and present them. Then it would be a decision on a couple guitars and not numerous specs. Another idea would be taking some of the ideas posted and letting the PTC or the guys at PRS run with it!! Not at that stage yet, but if it were serious enough I bet they would!

One thing is certain, I now understand why there are so many PRS models. One guy's joy is another guy's deal-breaker.

Also, I promised to review all the threads and recommend a model based on the greatest interest and specs. I haven't done that yet and I'm sorry for the delay. My job and personal life are super-demanding at the moment but I will get to it.

I am going to take a stab at this to try and get us on the right track. We are actually not faraway from success. We have set a TRC and a case that are decided. If we want to call the other existing polls or give them a few more days they can be set as well. That said;

1) First, we have three polls aready for neck/fretboard, body type, and cost. I say we continue with the polls for the other aspects of the guitar, i.e. hardware, body wood, color, trem/stoptail, headstock, scale, etc. Do each of these one by one and then take the approach used on the TRC. That is...

2) Second, we have semi finals or an outright winner of each component. With the the semi finals approach, we take the the top two or three slections from the previously created three polls and have a final poll for each component. With three existing polls, we already have the foundation and can go ahead and have a final poll for those three or table them.

3) Poll the other components and bring each poll up for semi final and/or final. In the end we have polled each item for the forum guitar. Finally, we poll the final creation to see if there is interest to change any component, proceed, or scratch it all and enjoy the thought of What if!

Right now the polls have mahogany neck/ebony fretboard, dbl. cutaway, and cost at 3 to 3.5 k ( 2 to 2.5 K is right on the heels of 3- 3.5K), So this thread is not in futility, we have seeds and roots. We just need to continue on. I would say lets poll for pickups next. It seems the 408's are going to be clear runaway favorites, so if someone wants to list a poll for pups, we can get that one out the way right now. What do you say cause we are well on the way.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;65486 said:
I'm waiting for you to start one of the polls you mentioned.

Heck, I cant figure that out. My daughter just told me what wi fi and an app was Sunday. Had no darn clue what wi fi was and I thought app was everyone saying a short version of apple.

So here's what I see shaping up...

A DC22 Trem (Piezo) with narrow 408's, a Chaltecoco neck, and BRW fretboard.

And a black Paisley case!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;65726 said:

That's something I could get behind.

Sounds like a winner.

Just think how great it would be if we could get this figured out in time to pick them up together at Experience during the Sig Club event. One giant NGD.

Last edited:

I'm normally a 24 fret kind of guy, but that sounds amazing! I'm more than happy to do my part to support the forum of course...

Last edited:
Back