The Fat Guy Thread

Exactly... BMI was originally developed to study the health of populations (for which it is very good) and not for individuals (for which it is very bad.) You can use the average BMI of a large population to predict its overall health. For any given individual though, it doesn't take into account build and how much muscle you have.

And while it's true that you can't easily measure body fat percentage (you need caliper measurements at various locations for a semi-accurate measurement, and more complicated techniques to get you even more accurate) weight and waist size don't do a terrible job at getting you to within a percent or two.

For most folks who have been weight training for a few years, if you get a good measurement at one point, you can be pretty certain of what your lean body mass is to within a pound or so. Unless you really start to body-build, you're not likely to add much lean body mass through general weight training, so you can just use weight as a decent proxy for body fat percentage. I'm 6' and have a LBM of 149 which is pretty typical of a guy my height that's been doing general weight training. I'm at 165 now, which is about 9%. (.9*165=148.8) If I want to get down to 7%, I need to be at 160 (but make sure that I'm training enough that I hold onto my 149 LBM). At 7%, you start to look pretty cut. There isn't any health benefit to being so low in body fat. 180 on my frame would be just fine from a general fitness perspective. You start to see abs come out at around 11% though, and it's sort of fun to challenge yourself. When I don't worry about it at all, I eventually get up to 210, which is starting to push 30%, and for a guy in his late 40s like me, that really does correlate to health issues.

Good info. I just hit an online body fat calculator and it put me at 14% which I feel is a bit high, but certainly within range of where I am. http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php

Hi Shawn... Just checked that link out. If you're athletic, that one will definitely overestimate your percentage. It uses age and height (along with weight and waist size) to guess your LBM based on averages from the general public. If you've been working out for a few years, you've probably got 5-7 lbs more muscle than the average, which means that they may be overestimating your percentage by 2 to 4 percent. Based on your avatar pic, I'd guess that to be the case. You can test that out by checking out the difference 40 and 20 in the age entry with everything else held constant. They assume if you're 40, you probably have a desk job, don't work out consistently, and have lost some muscle to regular aging. If you work out, eat well, and generally get exercise, you'll probably be a couple of percentage points lower than that calculation (at least...body builders can show up as mid-20s with this sort of calculation when in fact they're actually at 5 or 6).

Amazon sells calipers for anybody interested...though for me, the actual number probably doesn't matter so much beyond the fact that I tend to geek out with whatever hobbies that I get into.

211.8 this morning. I'll upload a pic later today. P

layed about 20+ hours of tennis since my last weigh in on August 12th plus running 2.5 miles a couple times, so not too surprised about the weight loss. Just concerned about losing muscle from dropping weight that fast.

Hi Shawn... Just checked that link out. If you're athletic, that one will definitely overestimate your percentage. It uses age and height (along with weight and waist size) to guess your LBM based on averages from the general public. If you've been working out for a few years, you've probably got 5-7 lbs more muscle than the average, which means that they may be overestimating your percentage by 2 to 4 percent. Based on your avatar pic, I'd guess that to be the case. You can test that out by checking out the difference 40 and 20 in the age entry with everything else held constant. They assume if you're 40, you probably have a desk job, don't work out consistently, and have lost some muscle to regular aging. If you work out, eat well, and generally get exercise, you'll probably be a couple of percentage points lower than that calculation (at least...body builders can show up as mid-20s with this sort of calculation when in fact they're actually at 5 or 6).

Amazon sells calipers for anybody interested...though for me, the actual number probably doesn't matter so much beyond the fact that I tend to geek out with whatever hobbies that I get into.

Good to know, thanks.

I checked out a different converter and it says I'm at 10% body fat. That number works better for me. :) http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

I should just buy the calipers and settle the matter.

Good to know, thanks.

I checked out a different converter and it says I'm at 10% body fat. That number works better for me. :) http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

I should just buy the calipers and settle the matter.

http://www.bodpod.com I know its ridiculous looking but find a local one near you. I believe its $50-$75 and it properly anaylzes your body and gives you a read out of everything. I think its worth it becuase it'll analyze muscle too.

I seem to be hovering around 249, despite the cardio. I'll dedicate one day this weekend to meal prep. That has to be a priority.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;94957 said:
I'll dedicate one day this weekend to meal prep. That has to be a priority.

I got it.... ready? Invite your daughter to help you prepare and cook with Daddy. That way you have fun and enjoy it while also getting it done ;)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;94972 said:
I like it - but she would make me sandwiches made of Pop Rocks and Jelly beans.

If you only ate one of those a day, I'm sure you would lose weight.... Just an idea.

Down?

You know it.

Start: 254.2
Today 232.8
Lost: 21.4
Percent: 8.42

image.jpg

211.8 this morning. I'll upload a pic later today. P

layed about 20+ hours of tennis since my last weigh in on August 12th plus running 2.5 miles a couple times, so not too surprised about the weight loss. Just concerned about losing muscle from dropping weight that fast.

No change, but...

I thought it would be interesting to post before and after pictures of current progress.

This picture was taken 6-9, two days before contest started. Super bonus points awarded if you know person in middle.
photo+1.JPG

This picture was taken 8-19. There are no bonus points for knowing Mr. Govan. There are however severe lashings for not knowing him. SHAME!
image.jpg

Start:

start.jpg

today

scale130823.jpg

record low so far: 188.5
max loss -12 lbs. (5.99%)

today: 194.2
Ireland made me a bit rounder...total: -6.3 lbs. (3.14%)

12 days in Ireland - hard to keep on track - the major problem was Jameson and Guiness! :beer:

Start:

start.jpg

today

scale130823.jpg

12 days in Ireland - hard to keep on track - the major problem was Jameson and Guiness! :beer:

Now you will loose weight by the Pint.

Start:

start.jpg

today

scale130823.jpg

Guinness and Jameson how I miss thee!

Back