The Fat Guy Thread

Here's were I started.

FatBoy12June2013_zpsdb10e5ff.jpg

And here's where I am this morning. It's slow going but I've really only been hitting the cardio for a week and it has made a huge difference.

photo-1_zpsfee7a5a0.jpg

Realistically, I'd like to be in the 230's by Experience. I don't think 225 is possible without help from Jillian Michaels. But it will be for my 40th birthday in October!

I wasn't down this morning after cardio...

So after breakfast I got back on the treadmill...

Down!

image.jpg

Good to see some of you guys kicking some butt. It definitely has inspired me to get my act together.

My starting weight...

13JUN2013_zps5d0a2bf4.jpg

... this morning

19AUG2013_zpsc550d925.jpg

And the latest...

PRS19AUG2013_zps3bbb9684.jpg

Two %#^*#%^*+# thirty four after cardio this morning.

ROAR!!!!

Picture of scale to follow.

Eating twice a day is a terrible dieting strategy. The body stores everything.

Prevailing wisdom supports eating more often in much smaller quantities. 5-6 meals a day is ideal.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;94435 said:
Eating twice a day is a terrible dieting strategy.

Twice a day?!?

I eat once a day and drink margaritas.
The margaritas act just like Slim-fast, all of the diarrhea if you drink too many (weight loss right there), but you don't care because your mildly tipsy all day.... and all the money you save on food can be used to buy guitars on ebay while drunk!

I'm no longer concerning myself with weight, I'm focusing on getting my body fat percentage at 12% or less.

I agree with working on fat percentage, but 12% seems low to me. Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are around 15%! BMI calculators (I know there is a big can of worms around BMI calculators) say Ideal for men is 18 - 25. I suppose if you're going for the body builder look it might be 12%. I'm going for the "not bad for an old guy" look of about 20%. Currently at 27%

I agree with working on fat percentage, but 12% seems low to me. Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are around 15%! BMI calculators (I know there is a big can of worms around BMI calculators) say Ideal for men is 18 - 25. I suppose if you're going for the body builder look it might be 12%. I'm going for the "not bad for an old guy" look of about 20%. Currently at 27%

1. BMI is not the same as body fat percentage. There is no way you can calculate (accurately) your body fat percentage using online calculators.
2. Women are going to have a higher optimal body fat percentage than men due to fat requirements for reproductive hormones. They have two large silos on the front of their body that contain mostly fatty tissue.

IMHO with a good nutrition plan in place, 12% is a pretty reasonable goal.

1. BMI is not the same as body fat percentage. There is no way you can calculate (accurately) your body fat percentage using online calculators.
2. Women are going to have a higher optimal body fat percentage than men due to fat requirements for reproductive hormones. They have two large silos on the front of their body that contain mostly fatty tissue.

IMHO with a good nutrition plan in place, 12% is a pretty reasonable goal.

Exactly. BMI isn't really an honest indicator of health in my opinion because it's all based on height and weight, it doesn't take into consideration fat or muscle content. My BMI is currently at 23.7 which fits into the "normal" range, whatever that means. Now, if I can get to 10 - 12% body fat, I'll be lean. Not a body builder, but lean.

Exactly... BMI was originally developed to study the health of populations (for which it is very good) and not for individuals (for which it is very bad.) You can use the average BMI of a large population to predict its overall health. For any given individual though, it doesn't take into account build and how much muscle you have.

And while it's true that you can't easily measure body fat percentage (you need caliper measurements at various locations for a semi-accurate measurement, and more complicated techniques to get you even more accurate) weight and waist size don't do a terrible job at getting you to within a percent or two.

For most folks who have been weight training for a few years, if you get a good measurement at one point, you can be pretty certain of what your lean body mass is to within a pound or so. Unless you really start to body-build, you're not likely to add much lean body mass through general weight training, so you can just use weight as a decent proxy for body fat percentage. I'm 6' and have a LBM of 149 which is pretty typical of a guy my height that's been doing general weight training. I'm at 165 now, which is about 9%. (.9*165=148.8) If I want to get down to 7%, I need to be at 160 (but make sure that I'm training enough that I hold onto my 149 LBM). At 7%, you start to look pretty cut. There isn't any health benefit to being so low in body fat. 180 on my frame would be just fine from a general fitness perspective. You start to see abs come out at around 11% though, and it's sort of fun to challenge yourself. When I don't worry about it at all, I eventually get up to 210, which is starting to push 30%, and for a guy in his late 40s like me, that really does correlate to health issues.

Back