The Fat Guy Thread

So… How much weight did those who lost weight put back on?

I'll fess up… I lost 25 lbs and gained back 3-4…

Time to get back in the saddle!

Don't know exactly, but enough to make me want to turn things around again.

I did not keep up with riding the stationary bike on vacation like I'd planned - only three or four times in over two weeks. That will be rectified.

Saved an article from the paper yesterday about high impact circuit training. I like the idea of that, and may give it a shot. That said, I will likely have issues with a couple of the exercises, notably the push ups due to shoulder issues. We'll see.

I need jfb to adopt me so his wife can kick my butt into shape...

I was just thinking about this. I goofed off from an eating perspective since mid-October. Started in May at 211, got down to 165 in October (my goal since it was my high school weight) and back up to about 180 now. That, in theory, was by design though since at 6', 165 just isn't practical indefinitely for me. I actually don't want to loose that much in terms of lbs. But since most of the gain (actually probably all of the gain) over the last three months wasn't muscle, the goal now is 175, but leaner....which is actually just as hard as loosing raw weight. We'll see. Been a bit of a booze hound over the holidays and that contributes more than you'd think. Removes willpower regarding food, and makes it less likely to hit the gym in the early AM.

So, the goal is just 5lbs of weight, but doing it by adding 5lbs of muscle....by May 1. We'll see...

I was 183.5 at my heaviest and that's when I knew I needed a change. I wanted to get into the best shape of my life for my birthday last September. I got down to 151 and I was lean but I was always tired. I'm back up to 162 now but I actually feel better now than I did at 151. I'd like to get back to about 158 which is very doable. I still exercise every day, but I've fallen back into poor eating habits. I eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I love to snack in the evening. I just want to maintain the healthy lifestyle I've started. I worked way too hard to let it go now.

I'm with Shawn. I worked to hard to let it go. I am starting to feel it pack back on and it's time to hit the treadmill and get my eating right.

I've been a bit worse with snacking during the holiday, especially because I stay up later on vacation, but I've tried to be better about it than in years past - i.e., fruit or something like that instead of candy bars. I still succumb to the stuff I have weaknesses for, but I try to be smarter about it. So I don't gain anything, but I don't lose anything, either (I usually stay in about a six-pound range).

Just to touch on something Shawn said, I've seen what my "ideal" weight is according to the medical field. Aside from being a whole person away, it's also too light for me. I remember when I was that weight, and how little strength I had (not that I give Hercules a run for his money or anything, but I can move stuff now!). My goal would be 10-20 above what I'm "supposed" to be.

Ok. I figured I would give an update on my progress...

At the Experience I was at about 204 and 20% body fat. I'm currently at 172 and 9.5% body fat. Starting Monday I'm actually working on a new weight training program to gain back about 20 pounds of lean mass.

At the Experience I was at about 204 and 20% body fat. I'm currently at 172 and 9.5% body fat. Starting Monday I'm actually working on a new weight training program to gain back about 20 pounds of lean mass.

kick ass Chris!

That is great progress! I'm doing the same thing regarding resistance work starting this month, but maybe "bulk up" to 165 from my current 160. At my age (60 in April) muscle mass comes back slowly, but I ain't askin' for much!

Anyway, take the rebuild nice and slow. Be sure to maintain that lower body fat profile as you go from here. Congratulations!

That is great progress! I'm doing the same thing regarding resistance work starting this month, but maybe "bulk up" to 165 from my current 160. At my age (60 in April) muscle mass comes back slowly, but I ain't askin' for much!

Anyway, take the rebuild nice and slow. Be sure to maintain that lower body fat profile as you go from here. Congratulations!

Thanks!! Yeah, I'm taking it real slow. Turn 40 in May with a goal of gaining 10 pounds by then. Doesn't sound like much, but being all muscle and my age I'll be happy with it. I know I will gain some fat while doing this, but looking to stay under 11% body fat. I use an app that keeps track of all of my meals and can change it accordingly.

So, let me get this right - you're 10 years older than me and look like you do, but Hans is 10 years YOUNGER than me and looks like he does?

What's wrong with my genes?

Congrats, Chris! I just started up again. I am doing the Tough Mudder event this Sepetember and started getting ready a few days ago.

On December 6th I fell down the last couple stairs at work while carrying a box that was just a little too big and a little too heavy. Should've taken the elevator! So, I partially tore a tendon way from the bone in my left ankle and have been wearing this moon boot since then, unable to exercise during my biggest weeks of eating and drinking all year. My weight is up to 242, the heaviest I've ever been, but I am 6'6" so it isn't super obvious how much fat I've gained.

My Dr. on Friday gave me the okay to go to the gym and ride the exercise bike. I did that yesterday for the first time, and my ankle is pretty sore today. I'm super bummed about it though. There's a marathon/half marathon/10K in Phoenix in March and I was going to start to train for the half marathon just when I got injured. It was a bad health year in 2013.

Significantly less beer is on the New Year's resolution list. Last time I quit for a month, 7 lbs came off effortlessly. I like beer a lot and tend to drink 3 or 4 per day so there are a lot of extra calories.

I haven't been on the forum much in a while and haven't followed this thread too much. But I figured I'd share my own weight loss.

Here's me at the end of August before I started getting my **** together and losing weight:

Here's me last night about 65 lbs lighter:

I still have a lot of weight to lose. It will be coming off. I just got the Power 90 program delivered yesterday. I'll start that this week.

Congratulations Tim, keep up the good work!

Thanks! So far it hasn't really been too much work or even all that difficult - it's all been a mental challenge. I had thought about some of the surgical options but in the end I decided that I wanted to make life style changes. All I've really done is alter my diet and eat far more sensibly. Now that I'm feeling a lot better I feel comfortable taking the exercise to another level (that is, actually do some exercising).

Back