The Fat Guy Thread

OK those guys that want help, first couple of things:

Body fat composition is 80% diet, 15% exercise and 5% other. The other is related to things like stress (cortisol levels) so basically if you're stressed, you won't lose weight as quickly. Sleep is a big factor too!

No amount of exercise will make you lose weight if your diet is poor, especially if it's poor and you add more bad stuff to compensate when you start exercising more.

Want to know if your diet is poor? Keep a food diary. Write down what you eat and drink each day (with weights and volumes if possible) for a whole week. If you're game, message it to me and I'll share some advice.

Whether you lose weight or not is primarily as simple as a calorific imbalance, more energy in than you're expending through exercise/daily activities. There's other theories on how macros affect fat accumulation (carbs vs fat) but at the end of the day, it's all about calorie restriction in one form or another.

So what the bottom line is, fixing the diet is the first thing to do. It can also reduce a LOT of mortality risk factors and make you feel a zillion times better - more energy, less hungry, sated for longer, better brain function etc. What's not to like?

No fair! I'm already down 13 lbs since March 1st...

My fat pants are all too big!

I'm in a plateau right now... But when I start losing again, I'll join in. I want to be down 30 by the Experience...

Jamie

Want to know if your diet is poor? Keep a food diary. Write down what you eat and drink each day (with weights and volumes if possible) for a whole week. If you're game, message it to me and I'll share some advice.

I did Weight Watchers in my 30s and lost a total of 80 pounds then. The crucial lessons were: know how much you can eat, track it rigorously. Exercise, including aerobic and resistance training. Remember always that it is ridiculously easy to eat way more than you can burn in a day!

I'm not at my ideal weight now, but I'm also nowhere near the ~250 pounds I was once at.

If you want to track what you're eating, hands down the best tool I've ever found is the My Fitness Pal app. Highly recommended!

OK, I will go first.........261.5 pic of the scale to follow..........

should we really humiliate ourselves with a before and after glamour shot of ourselves? :)

If it's humiliation you seek, have Paul conduct the final weigh in on stage Thursday before the show... :vroam:

This is a great idea but I'm unable to join you. I've already lost 20+ pounds and I'm back to what I weighed did when I was 22 years old. "Feeling good, Louis!"

One thing I would say is DO weigh yourself every day. If you have a bad day and allow yourself to get off track, the scale will let you know. That daily reminder is a great motivator.

Good luck everyone

I'm in for the weigh-ins, but not the bet - I only want to loose about 20 lbs which is only 10% of my current weight. So, I'll participate as an 'audit' even though I have a bad class audit memory...

When I was in college, I was taking LOTS of hours but decided to add one class with a friend - business law. I didn't kno how much time I would be able to give to the class and didn't want it to wreck my GPA, so I took it pass/fail (pretty close to just auditing the class).

The class turned out to be very interesting and the instructor challenging. Since it was law, she said anyone who could make a cogent argument on a test question they missed would get the points. My friend and I scrapped for every point for the whole semester - it was fun and challenging.

At some point I forgot I was taking it pass/fail. We both ended up with something like 98% or 99% for the semester. My buddy got a big fat A. I got a P! :bawling: :rofl: The only thing worse would have been an actual audit of the class where I would have received no grade at all (or credit hours).

Last edited:
Starting 6-12-13
photo-3.JPG

Most recent picture from 6-9-13
photo%25203.JPG

Good luck everyone!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;80065 said:
I'm going on a diet. I need something to help me stay in track - like a public journal.

Curious if anyone would like to join me by posting a pic of the scale each day between now and Exp 2013.

The guy who loses the most weight (by percentage of original weight, not actual pounds) get free beer from the rest of the participants for all 3 days. The guy who loses the least amount of weight (by percentage) gets to buy all of the winner's beer on Thursday night. No limit.

Weigh-in starts tomorrow night (the 12th of June).

Will you please join me?

A Fat Guy thread?!

That's me... So I have to join in! :) The bad news is I won't get any free beer, but the good news... I won't be there to buy the beers either! Ha! But I do really need to lose a lot of weight so why not?

Hopefully I can get on my bike over the next few weeks and lose some weight. Bad news is that the weather forecast is a month of rain!

Back