The Facepalm Heard 'round the World...

Deli6505

Rockin' the D!
I didn't know how exactly to broach this subject as it can get really messy really quickly but as i walked around the Sweetwater grounds this weekend, the main thing that has been on my mind is a certain video that was put out by an all too familiar guitar company that went under the title "Play Authentic" where it basically threatened other guitar companies, people who tape over their guitars' headstocks in movies and commercials and basically just made themselves out to be the biggest jackass of guitar companies again. I know that it's not cool to use this forum to trash-talk other companies and honestly, that is certainly not my intent but the truth of the matter is that the fallout from this video is hotter than the exposed core of Chernobyl's nuclear reactor and not only have the repercussions been plentiful all over YouTube from every guitar based channel but it was also very prominent in the passing conversations I heard whilst walking around at GearFest.

Very simply, in the most delicate of eggshell tip-toeing my clown feet can muster, I am just very eager to hear what everyone's thoughts on this matter are. And Shawn, I am terribly sorry if this topic is too much of a controversial subject to be discussing here but my curiosity concerning this just got the better of me.

A poorly managed company, using primitive technology, mediocre materials, and no quality standards; Rests on its laurels, whilst simultaneously offending all others with a superiority complex.

Haven’t heard anything, but I have been persona non grata due to other commitments!

I’m assuming it’s a company that makes a well know SC that the likes of Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore etc. played?

I’m kind of past this sort of controversy.

I think I’m too busy even to watch the YT videos. Nothing against your comments, just don’t think I can be bothered.

I’m all about positivity.

Haven’t heard anything, but I have been persona non grata due to other commitments!

I’m assuming it’s a company that makes a well know SC that the likes of Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore etc. played?

I’m kind of past this sort of controversy.

I think I’m too busy even to watch the YT videos. Nothing against your comments, just don’t think I can be bothered.

I’m all about positivity.
The big G has got a new big stick and is going around suing other companies as their new business plan to return to profitability, seemingly unaware of all the negative goodwill they are doing to their brand image.

The big G has got a new big stick and is going around suing other companies as their new business plan to return to profitability, seemingly unaware of all the negative goodwill they are doing to their brand image.

Ah ok, I’m happy that my head is full of playing music and lack of ceilings in my house due to a water leak.

Goofy video that wiped out their whole marketing effort since taking over the company. They may have entirely ruined their shot at redemption and it will take another management sweep to give them the ability to market a better message again.
The talking head in the video was given the script, that was obvious, "here, we bought you to be our social media expert, take this and put it out on that Internet thing we've heard so much about"

Funny how clueless about the reason for taping over the headstock logos in other media outlets is the company did not or refused to pay for product placements. Which have become as prevalent as any thirty second commercial break. Even supermarkets charge product vendors fees for which shelf products get placed (sometimes the 'fees' are free product to put 'on sale').... just like Artist Relations gives away guitars and gear to prominent performers for free/cost/reduced prices.

Honestly, a change in manufacturing Kotex maxi pads would impact my life to a greater extent.

The only thing that Gibson can do better than PRS for me is if I want to dress up and cosplay in front of a mirror.

LPnrUPL.jpg

The more videos I watch about this, I am chuffed beyond belief that I switched to PRS years ago. "G" has been laying fields of land mines for years and have managed to keep stepping on them and blowing their toes off. And when I hear about G suing D now, all I can think about is how they tried that crap with PRS and luckily got their a$$ handed to them. Some people just never learn from their mistakes.

I'm pretty sure that video deserves a double facepalm. Seriously, you finally get new management, you buy some good will with updated new models, and then dump this duece in the punchbowl. It's almost like Henry never left...

In a way, G is a victim of their past sucess. They are forever locked in the 1950's and 60's with the majority of their aging core buyers and when they do try something new, tronical tuners, cough, cough, their base revolts and has temper tantrums. (Full disclosure, I removed my tronicals because 2 of them stripped and for weight reduction for the infamous SG neckdive.) Now granted, they've also released some truly goofy guitars, dusk tiger, boogie van lp, zoot suits and firebird x spring to mind, but man 1959 was a long time ago.

I'm speechless! Oh well. Never saw him in the Clash but did in BAD and I don't recall him dressing up like that. Must be his NY Dolls tribute - I saw Johnny Thunders just before he died and he was dressed up very much like that.

Back